Paint finish pitting

burgandy25

Has anyone else noticed paint of their Journey starting to "pit" or corrode leaving tiny rust red dots the size of pinheads and some a little bigger? Our 2010 has this problem I noticed the first summer we had it. And my car by no means is not looked after, every spring I 1.Wash it 2. clay it 3. Wash it again 4.polish some areas up if it needs it 5. Glaze/seal the finish 6. and then Wax it. and every 3 or 4 weeks it gets another wash and coat of wax with a quick detailer in between washing periods. and every time there is still pitting. I try my hardest to get most of it out with the clay bar then I will polish the areas where it is the worse hopefully removing the crevice the rust is binding to but with no use. Our 2003 Saturn Vue doesn't have this rusting problem at all.

I'm surprised that its doing that, from your description of what you do for the vehicle its certianly not abused. If you still have warranty left, you should try and Chrysler to give it a repaint under warranty. I have a friend who many years ago had a Volvo and it well past the warranty period for such things as paint, and he was able to get Volvo to paint it without any cost to him.

yeah I do drive it in snow/salt here in MI but before winter I put a few good coats of wax on and then on a good warmer winter day I will take it to a drive in car wash and hand wash it myself again. I will try and go talk to my local Dodge dealer but it will be a long shot, they broke the interior plastic of the rear liftgate and said they would not replace it because it "cost to much" out of their own pocket. But for something like this I think I will go down and see what they will do about it.

yeah I do drive it in snow/salt here in MI but before winter I put a few good coats of wax on and then on a good warmer winter day I will take it to a drive in car wash and hand wash it myself again. I will try and go talk to my local Dodge dealer but it will be a long shot, they broke the interior plastic of the rear liftgate and said they would not replace it because it "cost to much" out of their own pocket. But for something like this I think I will go down and see what they will do about it.

What they won't replace something they broke. Do you have any other dealers in your area, these guys don't deserve you business.

A few years ago while my 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan was in getting some work done, the Chyrsler/Dodge dealer I have the vehicle serviced, damaged the panel behind the right rear door. When I went in to pick it up, they let me know what happened and they had already set up an appointment to get it fixed at their cost. What a difference in dealer attitude.

What they won't replace something they broke. Do you have any other dealers in your area, these guys don't deserve you business.

A few years ago while my 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan was in getting some work done, the Chyrsler/Dodge dealer I have the vehicle serviced, damaged the panel behind the right rear door. When I went in to pick it up, they let me know what happened and they had already set up an appointment to get it fixed at their cost. What a difference in dealer attitude.

If our dealership was like that I would be please, this dealer has problems with other customers I know personally, they wouldn't fix a rear window defroster they broke on a friends jeep. For our Journey they just put all the plastic "Clips? or pins?" I don't know what you call them, that are incorporated into the back panel that clip into the metal; were just thrown in the back trunk and didn't day a word, so they knew they broke it and didn't man up to the fact and backed down. The closest dealership is 30 miles away.

• Official Dodge Support
If our dealership was like that I would be please, this dealer has problems with other customers I know personally, they wouldn't fix a rear window defroster they broke on a friends jeep. For our Journey they just put all the plastic "Clips? or pins?" I don't know what you call them, that are incorporated into the back panel that clip into the metal; were just thrown in the back trunk and didn't day a word, so they knew they broke it and didn't man up to the fact and backed down. The closest dealership is 30 miles away.

Burgandy,

Have you talked to anyone at Dodge customer service about these issues? If not I would suggest you give them a call at 800-992-1997 and have them get involved.

Burgandy,

Have you talked to anyone at Dodge customer service about these issues? If not I would suggest you give them a call at 800-992-1997 and have them get involved.

No I have not, I was told by our dealership that and I quote "Chrysler would not want to pay $300 for a whole new panel just because some clips got broken" and then they followed up after I complain with... "yes we checked and no Chrysler does not want us to replace it." I will give them a call thanks for the number.

• Official Dodge Support
No I have not, I was told by our dealership that and I quote "Chrysler would not want to pay $300 for a whole new panel just because some clips got broken" and then they followed up after I complain with... "yes we checked and no Chrysler does not want us to replace it." I will give them a call thanks for the number.

Customer Assistance will look into the issue for you.

• 1 month later...

I had the same pitting in my paint. I got some Turtle Wax rubbing compound, put some some on a microfibre cloth and rubbed where the spots were. After i went over with Turtle Wax polishing compound. Lastly buffed the area aplyed some wax and its all gone now.

Try it. Gud luck!