KEYS

I CAN'T WAIT TO RECEIVE MY SANDSTONE SXT WITH CONVENIENCE 1 AND SUNROOF,FACTORY ORDERED 3 WEEKS AGO. I HAVE A NON ELECTRONIC KEY FOR MY SOON TO BE TRADED CARAVAN WHICH I BLACK ELECTRICIANS TAPED TO A ROOF BAR WHICH NOBODY HAS EVER NOTICED AND HAS SAVED ME TWICE. QUESTION? IS A BASIC KEY AVAILABLE

I CAN'T WAIT TO RECEIVE MY SANDSTONE SXT WITH CONVENIENCE 1 AND SUNROOF,FACTORY ORDERED 3 WEEKS AGO. I HAVE A NON ELECTRONIC KEY FOR MY SOON TO BE TRADED CARAVAN WHICH I BLACK ELECTRICIANS TAPED TO A ROOF BAR WHICH NOBODY HAS EVER NOTICED AND HAS SAVED ME TWICE. QUESTION? IS A BASIC KEY AVAILABLE

yes sir, the key fob actually has a Valet key which slides out of the key fob. I didn't get a good look at it to see if another one could be cut. I do believe the dealer can get additional keys if need be.

On a side note, that is the exact one I ordered too, Everything the SXT AWD can come with except the smoker's group. Where are you from? ahhhh GTA :dance: another Canadian, I'm from the Edmonton Alberta area. We ordered ours 1 week ago. Feels like a month already though.

Rob

yes sir, the key fob actually has a Valet key which slides out of the key fob. I didn't get a good look at it to see if another one could be cut. I do believe the dealer can get additional keys if need be.

On a side note, that is the exact one I ordered too, Everything the SXT AWD can come with except the smoker's group. Where are you from? ahhhh GTA :dance: another Canadian, I'm from the Edmonton Alberta area. We ordered ours 1 week ago. Feels like a month already though.

Rob/HBT

now to clarify, the removeable key JUST opens the doors (would be great if it locked the glove box, center console, rear storage cubby, etc...that way, when you leave it with a valet or shop, everything else is secure).

however, without the electronic key, the vehicle will not start.

now to clarify, the removeable key JUST opens the doors (would be great if it locked the glove box, center console, rear storage cubby, etc...that way, when you leave it with a valet or shop, everything else is secure).

I had a problem with my remote on 2 occasions where it refused to work I opened the car with the manual key which set the alarm off. Chyrsler was looking into the issue and may issue a TSB if they can find the problem. It only happened twice while parked in our driveway. Our driveway has a 25 degree incline on it.

One tech thought the Alarm may have thought that car was on a tow truck.

ah excellent point drphil, thank you for the insight

Rob

• 4 months later...

I discussed this rather extensively with my dealer.

This key-thing was a "brilliant" idea that they got from Mersedes. It is a real deterant to keep someone from stealing your car -- but God help you if you loose or misplace your key fob!

I got a duplicate access key made to keep in my wallet. All it does is get me in the car if I lock the key fob inside.... it would have been real nice if that spare key could start the car & get me home!!

Of all the things on this vehicle, it is the what I dislike the most. It makes me very uncomfortable becasue I no longer have that saftey net.

(The 2nd thing I hate is the tilt wheel does not swing up high enough to get out of the car cleanly. 3rd is no random button in the CD player. 4th is no cassette player (but at least there is a work-around for that))

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I got the idea re copying the extra key for myself from this site. Two weeks ago I got the key made and I have had to use it twice now because I dropped the key fob on the floor and had to use the valet key I got made to let me in the van. I keep the extra key in my wallet. I recommend this be done.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a copy of the valet key made however when I use it it sets off the alarm so I have to get in quick and get the fob to stop the alarm. No metal to hide a key so I duct taped it in an inconspicous place. It works so far but we haven't had freezing temps yet. Thank goodness I was worried about locking the key in and hid a key as we were hours from home and someone accidently hit the lock button as I said the alarm went off but I grabbed my fod and stopped it. I'm a new Dodge owner and miss the keyless entry I had previously.

I had a problem with my remote on 2 occasions where it refused to work I opened the car with the manual key which set the alarm off. Chyrsler was looking into the issue and may issue a TSB if they can find the problem. It only happened twice while parked in our driveway. Our driveway has a 25 degree incline on it.

One tech thought the Alarm may have thought that car was on a tow truck.

not true. as a chrysler tech these problems happen due to computer glitches. have the dealer erase the keys, re-program them. that should work. if not you may need a new skim or win module. ask you dealer or tech they sould now what im talking about.

• 2 months later...
I got the idea re copying the extra key for myself from this site. Two weeks ago I got the key made and I have had to use it twice now because I dropped the key fob on the floor and had to use the valet key I got made to let me in the van. I keep the extra key in my wallet. I recommend this be done.

I did find out that you can not lock the car using the door button, if you leave the key in the ignition.. However, drop the fob on the the floor and do it, you are in trouble!!!

Phil

• 10 months later...
I picked up a transponder key (on e-bay) that I will program and have cut to open the doors on mine. This key was inexpensive, and as long as you have two good transponde keys you can program it with out the dealers help.

HATA Part Number HAT-3740

Can the non remote start key fob be used on a car with remote start (to start the engine manually) or do the more advanced keys work on a different system (or frequency?)?

How do we identify our Journey fob - any special info or manufacturer or source?

I haven't figured this key thing out yet. The "valet" key sets off the alarm and you need the fob to shut it off. The valet key won't start the car, and it is attached to the keyfob. So what is the chance that if you lock your keys in the car, that you would remember to remove the valet key and put it in your pocket?

I haven't figured this key thing out yet. The "valet" key sets off the alarm and you need the fob to shut it off. The valet key won't start the car, and it is attached to the keyfob. So what is the chance that if you lock your keys in the car, that you would remember to remove the valet key and put it in your pocket?

i have taped a valet key to roof bars, black on black, done it for years now no one has ever noticed it

not true. as a chrysler tech these problems happen due to computer glitches. have the dealer erase the keys, re-program them. that should work. if not you may need a new skim or win module. ask you dealer or tech they sould now what im talking about.

I concur with your suggestion. Mine was a combinations of an new WIN and a reprogram of the FOB's (which i beleive you have to do anyways after installing a new WIN).

Corrected the Alarm issue flawlessly.

As for the valet key in the FOB, the one thing i like, they use a METAL key. Some MFG's use plastic valets which break in a few uses.

So far, BMW, MINI, MBZ, and Dodge are the only companys that use this feature with metal valet keys...that i know of atleast.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, if you look on page 13 of your owners manual there is a brief expalanation of the key FOB to open the drivers door. Only the drivers door has a tumbler lock.

This would only help you though if you had your Key Fob RKE [Remote Keyless Entry] hidden inside the vehicle as you can only operate the ignition with the complete RKE FOB

I can email you the owners manual [2010-Journey-OM-1st.pdf] but it is to large to upload here.

• 2 months later...

Could not get my Journey to respond to two FOBs last night.

Was out with my wife last night. I went to start the car from a distance and when I got to the car - it was not running. Would not remote start while standing in front of it.

Could not unlock the doors or start the car with either key fob. There was battery power since I could see the "alarm on indicator flashing red".

I walked around the car clicking the FOBs to see if I could get the thing to respond. Even placed the FOB on the rear radio antenna. (DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE THE ANTENNA FOR THE FOB RECEPTION IS LOCATED????).

Next step was to use the valet key. As expected, the alarm went off, but I put the FOB in the ignition and the car started and the alarm ceased.

I shut the car and went out side. Both FOBs locked and started the car now. Apparently what ever was the problem was reset.

Several years ago, while shopping at a store in the Needham MA. area - located near a bunch of TV broadcast towers - I could not get my Ford to unlock.

The parking lot last night had a cell phone antenna set-up on the side of the building.

Not sure if this was an inteference problem with the radio signals or a glitch in the Journey's system.

Could not get my Journey to respond to two FOBs last night.

Was out with my wife last night. I went to start the car from a distance and when I got to the car - it was not running. Would not remote start while standing in front of it.

Could not unlock the doors or start the car with either key fob. There was battery power since I could see the "alarm on indicator flashing red".

I walked around the car clicking the FOBs to see if I could get the thing to respond. Even placed the FOB on the rear radio antenna. (DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE THE ANTENNA FOR THE FOB RECEPTION IS LOCATED????).

Next step was to use the valet key. As expected, the alarm went off, but I put the FOB in the ignition and the car started and the alarm ceased.

I shut the car and went out side. Both FOBs locked and started the car now. Apparently what ever was the problem was reset.

Several years ago, while shopping at a store in the Needham MA. area - located near a bunch of TV broadcast towers - I could not get my Ford to unlock.

The parking lot last night had a cell phone antenna set-up on the side of the building.

Not sure if this was an inteference problem with the radio signals or a glitch in the Journey's system.

• 1 month later...

I have interestigly found this recurring problem around particular "hot spots" of the city where I usually park. Metal key opens the vehicle and alarm goes off, but as soon as I move the vehicle a couple of meters (tens of meters) from the spot everything seems to go back to normal. I didn't see mobile phone mast but wondered about stray induction currents from overhead wires. Interesting, my journey works for the FCC.

• 7 months later...

I picked up a transponder key (on e-bay) that I will program and have cut to open the doors on mine. This key was inexpensive, and as long as you have two good transponde keys you can program it with out the dealers help.

HATA Part Number HAT-3740

I understand about programming the fobik yourself [to start the car] but does it program the remote entry as well would be interested to know how this worked out for you..