Possible 4.3 to 8.4 upgrade

Elliottf4i

There are a bunch of those on sale at aliexpress.com, just search for "fiat freemont". The problem is, nobody wants to be the first to buy and see if they work as advertised ;)

Yeah, youre def right about that.

Lots of "what ifs" on my mind.

Like.. Do I loose the voice control Bluetooth? Sat radio? Climate control integration.. Specialy the 3rd row climate controls.

What about the redundancy of the original cd slot on the car..

If it cost less, maybe I'd try.

In the Italian forum I found a video of the Chinese unit posted by a dealer in Brazil

Basically it's the equivalent of a uci-11 c video interface bundled with a big screen, a dvd player, gps, dvb-t receiver, etc., all in a neat package.

What it does is switch between the factory system video output and its own, so you won't lose any of the existing features (climate control, settings, etc.).

It's ingeniously simple, since they didn't have to reverse engineer the complicated protocols for the settings and the climate control.

I'm not really interested, but here it is:

[media=]

[/media]

Lebowski, every now and then, you whine a lot. But unlike a lot of other people, you are truly usefull when u want to be.

-that's a compliment. Half assed, but it is.

I've been looking everywhere for that video. I even asked one of the different sellers.

It's interesting, you'd basically have 2 radios in the car.

Lebowski, every now and then, you whine a lot.

Yes, I do, that's because since when I acquired the car one year ago, I have had a lot of small or not so small issues that could be easily solved if they wanted to which doesn't seem to be the case. I actually like the car, so the lousy customer service annoys me even more.

I also happen to be a software engineer and a geek so I tend to notice things that most other people wouldn't see (like, e.g., how they wasted such two gorgeous screens, the 4.3 and the evic, with a dreadful layout, if only I had access to the software to customize it to my liking...).

But unlike a lot of other people, you are truly usefull when u want to be.

As I said, that's because I like the car. And I try to be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

$520, shipping included, on aliexpress.com (search for "fiat freemont").

Prices are falling since the last time I looked, since there are more vendors offering it.

$550 shipped to US, I am on the fence to buy one. Still waiting on an order I placed a month ago. If that shows up ok and in good shape I may give it a try. I like the idea that it just replaces the display with a larger screen + add DVD , Navigation and backup camera for 1/3 the price of Dodge's. I used a laptop with an 8" touch screen in my Nitro, but that was not built in like this is. Software looks a little dated, the iPod and mp3 software looks very primitive, but there are many hacks and different software for these WINCE devices. Looks usable as is.

I've bought stuff from china, takes about a month to come in. No surprise there.

As for me and that radio. Meh..I was hoping more integration that a second radio in the car.

I've decided I don't like it.

I think if I had the most basic journey set up, this might be appealing, but switching for sat radio, or voice command Bluetooth or iPod would be annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought stuff from china, takes about a month to come in. No surprise there.

As for me and that radio. Meh..I was hoping more integration that a second radio in the car.

I've decided I don't like it.

I think if I had the most basic journey set up, this might be appealing, but switching for sat radio, or voice command Bluetooth or iPod would be annoying.

FYI,

I just got one and got it installed. You don't loose any funtion of your old radio as that is still intact. It switches between the media center device with the built in DVD Navigation + other functions. Has a usb input + mini-sdcard slot, also has input for ipod connection, but I don't own an ipod, I'll have to borrow one from my Granddaughter to test that function. You can buy an additional module for a tv tuner(not included). Switches to Backup camera whenever it sees a signal, then back to normal after signal drops.

Navigation said maps are old (of course) but still works. It looks be be just loaded from the 2nd sdcard that can be loaded with different navigation software.

DVD plays so far as I have tested.

The one I got had the wrong keyed video connection to the radio I had to fix, and you have to disassemble the original display to use a card from it.

I didn't receive any manuals, or install instructions. I got someone from ebay to send me some, because the folks in China are on "Holiday" until the 7th.

If your interested in seeing these instructions let me know, not sure if I can post them here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I have a few questions about this device

1. Is it possible to change logo from Fiat to Dodge?

2. When this unit start, what the main picture start: original Dodge or new from DVD?

3. Button NAVI calls direct navigation soft?

1. yes their are 2 Dodge Logos already installed

2. It boots the new DVD logo , as a matter of fact the Dodge radio screen is difficult to lock to the front. I can get it to work but haven't figgured out the trick.

I think one thing is you can't have anything on the NEW DVD system running.

3. Yes the NAVI button will start the navigaiton software, the software that came with it had out dated maps. I updated the software and maps, they go on a microsd card.

During navigation use, pushing the button will take you to the Main menu again. When you push the Radio button it switches the screen to the Dodge Radio screen for a few seconds then back to the last screen you were using unless you touch the screen, say like to change channels. Same with the Climit control button, etc.

If you have a camera connected to send video when backing up it will switch to that whenever it sees video on the camera input connection.

Remember this is a "Cheap" Chinese device, it works but is a bit dated....software wise. It is running WINCE 6. Haven't done anything to the built in software, just the navigation software.

It has an ipod input ( untested ) I don't own an ipod.

usb input for mp3's NOT video files

2 microsd slot for mp3's

2 video output I assume for rear seat screens

I can connect 2 phones to bluetooth, 1 to Dodge system (overrides audio no matter what you are listening to) 1 to DVD system (only hear audio when listening to DVD system audio) this is because you actually use the aux input on the Dodge system to play the audio from the DVD/Nav unit. There is a seperate speaker connected for the Navigation system that sound for they Navigation software plays though all the time (this can be annoying if you are on phone)

It is not an ideal system, but it does work.. I like the BIG screen (especially for the backup camera). The sun does wash it out some, but I have seen worse.

I would say the hardest part of installing was moving the vents from the old to the new.

Hope this helps.

1. yes their are 2 Dodge Logos already installed

2. It boots the new DVD logo , as a matter of fact the Dodge radio screen is difficult to lock to the front. I can get it to work but haven't figgured out the trick.

3. Yes the NAVI button will start the navigaiton software, the software that came with it had out dated maps. I updated the software and maps, they go on a microsd card.

During navigation use, pushing the button will take you to the Main menu again. When you push the Radio button it switches the screen to the Dodge Radio screen for a few seconds then back to the last screen you were using unless you touch the screen, say like to change channels. Same with the Climit control button, etc.

If you have a camera connected to send video when backing up it will switch to that whenever it sees video on the camera input connection.

Remember this is a "Cheap" Chinese device, it works but is a bit dated....software wise. It is running WINCE 6. Haven't done anything to the built in software, just the navigation software.

It has an ipod input ( untested ) I don't own an ipod.

usb input for mp3's NOT video files

2 microsd slot for mp3's

2 video output I assume for rear seat screens

I can connect 2 phones to bluetooth, 1 to Dodge system (overrides audio no matter what you are listening to) 1 to DVD system (only hear audio when listening to DVD system audio) this is because you actually use the aux input on the Dodge system to play the audio from the DVD/Nav unit. There is a seperate speaker connected for the Navigation system that sound for they Navigation software plays though all the time (this can be annoying if you are on phone)

It is not an ideal system, but it does work.. I like the BIG screen (especially for the backup camera). The sun does wash it out some, but I have seen worse.

I would say the hardest part of installing was moving the vents from the old to the new.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

FYI,

I just got one and got it installed. You don't loose any funtion of your old radio as that is still intact. It switches between the media center device with the built in DVD Navigation + other functions. Has a usb input + mini-sdcard slot, also has input for ipod connection, but I don't own an ipod, I'll have to borrow one from my Granddaughter to test that function. You can buy an additional module for a tv tuner(not included). Switches to Backup camera whenever it sees a signal, then back to normal after signal drops.

Navigation said maps are old (of course) but still works. It looks be be just loaded from the 2nd sdcard that can be loaded with different navigation software.

DVD plays so far as I have tested.

The one I got had the wrong keyed video connection to the radio I had to fix, and you have to disassemble the original display to use a card from it.

I didn't receive any manuals, or install instructions. I got someone from ebay to send me some, because the folks in China are on "Holiday" until the 7th.

If your interested in seeing these instructions let me know, not sure if I can post them here.

Hello. I got this device, install it. Everything works, but radio and TV buttons not active. My package not included user manual. If you have it, could you share it?

Hello. I got this device, install it. Everything works, but radio and TV buttons not active. My package not included user manual. If you have it, could you share it?

The TV button can't work unless you bought the "TV option" The Device doesn't have a Radio because you use the OEM Dodge Radio. I found a manual online, Here is a link to the one I found, but it does't really match everything the same.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7BduM8NMlvYQ2xQa0FyelFpM0k

The password on locked screens in the settings is 888888

Edited by immjg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Immjg. I found a trick. If you push any original button (Radio, player, climate) twice very fast, your screen will lock with original Dodge screen, until you push a Navi button

Hello Immjg. I found a trick. If you push any original button (Radio, player, climate) twice very fast, your screen will lock with original Dodge screen, until you push a Navi button

Nice Catch! I'll test it out tomorrow. You just made my Day!! THANKS!

UPDATE Works like a Charm... I can't tell you how happy this makes me!!!! THANKS!!!!

Edited by immjg

• 1 month later...
Just jumping on the DJ bandwagon here. How happy with this radio are you guys, now that you've had it for a while, and had a chance to really test it, and use it for extended periods of time?

Welcome. I drive my car daily and have found that I don't use the extra functions that often, Sirus gave me a 3 month trial so I listen to that a lot. The previous post about locking into the normal Dodge screen is great. I do Love the large screen, and the fact that when I go into reverse the screen automatically switches to the backup camera. The DVD player works just fine, of course bright sunlight will wash it out, but that is pretty rare. I find that the screen is acceptable. Navigation works ok, I upgraded the software. The settings allow you to change the program that the Navi button launches, so I have experimented with different programs. I was hoping to find a way into the system to make it default to the Dodge video, but no luck. I don't have an Ipod so I can't talk to that, but I expect it would work much like the SDcard reader and USB reader, those options work but are very dated. That is the most disappointing part, the media player program just plain sucks.

So if you want to add DVD, Navigation and a backup camera it works well for those functions. The bluetooth works also but it is also dated software. If you didn't get Uconnect it would work good to add bluetooth also. If you want to play music from a USB, just stick with the built in on the Dodge radio.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them for you.

Welcome. I drive my car daily and have found that I don't use the extra functions that often, Sirus gave me a 3 month trial so I listen to that a lot. The previous post about locking into the normal Dodge screen is great. I do Love the large screen, and the fact that when I go into reverse the screen automatically switches to the backup camera. The DVD player works just fine, of course bright sunlight will wash it out, but that is pretty rare. I find that the screen is acceptable. Navigation works ok, I upgraded the software. The settings allow you to change the program that the Navi button launches, so I have experimented with different programs. I was hoping to find a way into the system to make it default to the Dodge video, but no luck. I don't have an Ipod so I can't talk to that, but I expect it would work much like the SDcard reader and USB reader, those options work but are very dated. That is the most disappointing part, the media player program just plain sucks.

So if you want to add DVD, Navigation and a backup camera it works well for those functions. The bluetooth works also but it is also dated software. If you didn't get Uconnect it would work good to add bluetooth also. If you want to play music from a USB, just stick with the built in on the Dodge radio.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them for you.

Hmm, sounds pretty good. Do the built in USB, and auxiliary jacks work with this radio also? And when you say they are "dated", are they similar to the factory radio looks? Because to me, they are pretty dated looking themselves. And how do you go about updating software? Does the radio have wireless, or can you flash via the SD card?