Possible 4.3 to 8.4 upgrade

Elliottf4i

Hmm, sounds pretty good. Do the built in USB, and auxiliary jacks work with this radio also? And when you say they are "dated", are they similar to the factory radio looks? Because to me, they are pretty dated looking themselves. And how do you go about updating software? Does the radio have wireless, or can you flash via the SD card?

Usb and SDcard work better on the Dodge software. This unit just splits video and audio to the new monitor, so you don't loose any of the original functionality. Basically all your doing is getting a larger display and adding DVD, and Navigation. It uses all the original radio, there is no radio. It adds video input and outputs for a rear view camera, and or rear video screens.

You load Navigation software on an mini SDcard, that is what I changed. There are some other menu screens you can find and download to run in front of the Navigation software, but jsut added to the complexity of the software, so I gave up on that.

Usb and SDcard work better on the Dodge software. This unit just splits video and audio to the new monitor, so you don't loose any of the original functionality. Basically all your doing is getting a larger display and adding DVD, and Navigation. It uses all the original radio, there is no radio. It adds video input and outputs for a rear view camera, and or rear video screens.

You load Navigation software on an mini SDcard, that is what I changed. There are some other menu screens you can find and download to run in front of the Navigation software, but jsut added to the complexity of the software, so I gave up on that.

Oh ok, so they have it set up to where it's easily customizable pretty much then? That's good to know. So the next question is, I've looked at the pictures of it, and I may be blind, but where is the SD card slot?

Oh ok, so they have it set up to where it's easily customizable pretty much then? That's good to know. So the next question is, I've looked at the pictures of it, and I may be blind, but where is the SD card slot?

It's not really what I would call customizable, but it will let you select any program file off of the Navigation MicroSD card to launch when you press the GPS or Navi button. You won't see the card slots in the pictures, there are 2 MicroSd card slots under a door just to the left of the Radio button. It actually looks like another button, it's the furthest on the left end.

• 10 months later...

I found I unit with better specs recently on ebay, it also seems to have a more attractive interface, just wondering if anyone has attempted to install this unit yet?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/S100-8-Fiat-freemont-Dodge-Journey-2011-2014-DVD-GPS-Navigation-with-3G-Wifi-SD-/171205974597?pt=US_Car_Monitors_w_Built_In_Player&hash=item27dcabda45&_uhb=1

• 3 months later...

Those who have installed the Chinese unit, does it retain the heating and cooling adjustment screen? I have a 2013 Dodge Journey SXT with 3.6L engine and Uconnect 4.3 screen. One must use the graphic screen to adjust, as the controls below the 4.3 screen only control a subset, the fan speed, temperature, A/C on/off and defrost. Rest are controlled by the graphic screen.

BTW, there is a US made unit Intraphex Prodigy, website http://www.intraphex.com that is rather pricey at $1,700 US, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANSUF6I/

31QaXaIgpBL.jpg

It seems to be a nice unit, but definitely too much for my budget.

Edited by ghostler

Those who have installed the Chinese unit, does it retain the heating and cooling adjustment screen?

I don't have one but, yes, it maintains the original on screen controls. In fact it just switches between its own video signal and the uconnect one. An ingenious trick to avoid reverse engineering the original unit (it just keeps using it).

Edited by Lebowski

Those who have installed the Chinese unit, does it retain the heating and cooling adjustment screen? I have a 2013 Dodge Journey SXT with 3.6L engine and Uconnect 4.3 screen. One must use the graphic screen to adjust, as the controls below the 4.3 screen only control a subset, the fan speed, temperature, A/C on/off and defrost. Rest are controlled by the graphic screen.

Yes as Lebowski says, it just replaces the screen and buttons but switches video between Mopar unit and Chinese unit.

If you want to stay on the Mopar screen just tap one of the controls for Mopar twice otherwise it reverts back to the Chinese screen. I use the backup camera connection, bluetooth and Navigation of the Chinese unit the most. I have two phones so having two bluetooth connections is pretty handy these days because its illegal to hold your phone in so many states now.

If you are looking for an 8" screen this is probably your least expensive route. There is a thread about buying a used 8" uconnect navigation and installing.

I have this unit too, i was wondering if someone can point me an alternate GPS software to download.

You can find help at gpsundergound

I am using iGo primo

I haven't looked lately but I would think just about anything that will run in WinCe 5 you could load on the card and point the GPS setting to start that program.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2012 dodge journey sxt with most of the upgrades, www.car-parts.com wanted $1125.00 for the rb5, I made them an offer for 850. I will keep you guys posted on the install if the offer goes good. I would stay away from the Chinese version and would rather pay a lil more to keep the car close to stock....