Main purchased extra's:

- Flex seating

- UConnect Voice w/Bluetooth/auto dim mirror

- Power Express Sunroof

- Chrome Clad wheels

- Premium Speakers with Sub

- Bright Silver Metallic

Purchase price as equipped: 31K

- Added extended warranty of 6year/120K km - $2500; finance manager had said regular price was $2900, but reading the boards, this doesn't seem to be true. In any case, after the issues with the Caliber, it was something I had planned on getting one way or another.

- No Negotiations on price of this Vehicle; Had negotiated for a lesser model (SXT), but ended up upgading to a CREW. The deal came from our trade in; We owed over a year on previous car ('08 Caliber SXT); Chrysler absorbed 90% of the lien. I'm sure I could have negotiated better, but I suck at it :)

We had been planning on upgrading the Caliber next year to get a little more room for family trips. The Journey was one of the choices due to the third row seating, but I didn't really want an SUV, and I really didn't like the mileage. Also, the issues I had been having with he Caliber, that being just after the 60K warranty expired, the car needed about 2K in suspension work done, and the engine started making really odd noises, so more work there, so I was being turned off a bit by Dodge. I mean, this car was not abused, or even pushed hard, so there really wasn't any reason for the issues it was developing, but I've been told that it was pretty common for the Caliber. Personally, I had been leaning more towards a Volkswagen Golf Wagon with the TDI Diesel engine. Seating space didn't improve, but cargo space and fuel economy did by a huge margin. So I had planned to run the Caliber into the ground as it was essentially worthless, finish paying it off next year while putting money away for a good down payment on the VW.

Then Dodge calls a couple days prior to the end of March saying they wanted to get us out of the caliber and into a caravan or journey; they were trying to meet quota and were willing to make a deal, typical ploys to get people to come in. I was totally up front with him about the current situation with the Caliber and said to come in anyway as it couldn't hurt to talk. We setup an appointment for the following Saturday, but we had decided to stop by that night instead to look around.

We took two vehicles out for a test drive; a '12 Grand Caravan, and the '12 Journey. The wife had really wanted a Caravan for a while now; we had tried one out as a rental when our Caliber had to go in for body work (got sideswiped), and she loved it. It did ride very nice, has tons of interior room for both passengers and cargo, and visibility was fantastic with all the huge windows. My main issue was that it felt....empty/echoes...I just didn't like it. So we took out the DJ Crew for a drive and instantly fell in love with it. It felt much more comfortable/cozy inside, and I really liked how the dash/center console was laid out. We had decided on the DJ and while we had started negotiating/looking for an SXT, we ended up taking the Crew we test drove.

- Strong, quiet 3.6L V6 Engine.

- Overall quiet/comfortable ride.

- Tons of storage space/spaces.

- Tri-Zone ACC; will come in very handy as we usually change the temp frequently to give each other a turn as we can't usually find a good middle ground.

- Interior directional LED lighting; The elder child appreciates it for reading. I appreciate not being blinded by a flashlight.

- Auto headlights

- Exceptional upscale looking interior. I love the interior and was one of the biggest draws for me.

- Bluetooth integration. Extremely easy to setup multiple phones and works great(once we got it working that is; defective module at purchase time).

- Center Console controls. Love the fact there are both soft and redundant hard keys for most functions.

- Led Tails.

- Crossbars for the roof rack; took them off, as the DJ looks better without, but good to have when/if needed.

- Factory tinted glass.

- Keyless Start and Go system; Fantastic. The extra lock/unlock buttons outside are convenient.

- flexibility of the 3rd row seating.

- child seat was easier to install than in the Caliber, and feels more secure.

- I can change headlights again without having to take off the freakin' bumper or having freakishly small, but powerful, hands!!

- Oil filter location; on the top of the engine; who would have thunk it!

Dislikes:

- Fuel economy; knew this going in, but still don't have to like it.

- Poor downshifting; If I'm travelling at a speed where the gear has just shifted up and is running at the low 1K RPM range, I can't speed up at a reasonable pace without having to give it a good amount of good amount of gas. ie - there's a pretty big range of motion in the accelerator where there's little to no reaction, then all of a sudden, the car jumps forward in a burst of speed as it finally downshifts; poor torque in the lower RPM range is really the problem I'm assuming, and I think this is where

a lot of the fuel economy is being wasted.

- Visibility; Generally ok, but pillars, and the huge ass Rear View mirror block alot of viewing area. Integrated blind Spot mirrors should be standard.

- Front facing steering wheel buttons; not very responsive.

- Replacement 19" tire availability/selection, or lack thereof.

- Chrome Clad Wheels. Really wish I could have traded these for 17's...

- Sub Woofer - No power; am going to have this checked, but I had the premium sound package on my caliber, and that system blew me away @half the price.

- compact spare.

- No front plate mount. Really does ruin the look of the DJ.

- parking brake location in relation to the hood release; have popped the hood a couple times when releasing the brake.

- Switches/options that don't do anything; if they don't do anything, they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Would like to have seen:

- Auto Wipers (Rain Sensitive Wipers)

- Blind spot mirrors Standard

- The Chargers capless fuel fill door; really cool and should be standard on all models!

- Lock/unlock of all doors on Center console as well as child lock button; seen this on the Equinox and thout it was a great place to put it.

- Full sized Spare.

- Power seat memory for at least two drivers.

- More data on the EVIC; Max Speed/Average Speed, things like that.

Overall, after a month of driving it and putting about 2100km on it, I really do like the purchase decision. I still really wish I could have gotten the VW Diesel, but for the versitility factor, I have no regrets at all, despite the huge fuel bills. Will do another evaluation in 5 months at oil change time and see if things change.

cheers!

Steph S.

Edited by Psyke

umm i have the crew. it has auto wipers. you just have to look in the setting in the screen.

the only option there is having the headlights turn on when the wipers go on, not the wipers auto sensing rain and turning on themselves, and I'm pretty sure it's not an option on the journey or other dodge models for that matter.

I take that last part back; the Dodge's Caravan and Charger do have an option for rain sensitive wipers in their Safety Sphere and Driver Confidence groups respectively.

Edited by Psyke

Psyke,

I too traded in my Caliber (a leased 07 SXT that was totally problem free) for my 2011 Crew and couldn't be happier.

I agree with all your likes.

Fuel econ - yup, it's a big V6. I usually get around 12-13 in town and have gotten as low as 7.8 on the highway.

Slow downshifting - More manufacturers are doing this now - just have to read auto review sites to see that. Supposed to help fuel economy but I totally agree - needs to be quicker to downshift.

I have no issue with the visibility or the steering wheel controls.

The 19" tire issue is just stupid on Chrysler's part. Why make a tire that only 1 manufacture makes and it's a shitty tire to begin with. I find they are not very smooth at all and can't wait to change them. I'm going to get the 235/55R19 Toyo Versado soon.

Sound system is probably my biggest disappointment. I too had the Music Gate sound system in my Caliber and that totally blows the system in the Journey out of the water. There is NO comparison!

I use the parking brake every day and have never accidentally popped the hood.

I'll add 1 item to your "like to have" - a power hatch!

Power liftgate was something I had thought about, but wasn't as important; I like the fact that the gate is made with composites as it does make it pretty light (not to mention dent resistant), but yeah, I can see times where the power lift would be very useful.

For the parking brake, I thought maybe it was just my big feet (not that their huge), but the wife ended up doing it the other day too :)

As for the Stereo in the Caliber, it really was amazing; I showed to a number of friends who do custom systems and full sub trunk installs, fiberglass housings and all, and they came away impressed. still nothing like their systems, but impressed none the less.

Looks as though there are quite a few of we DJ owners

who previously owned Calibers,drove mine for 5 yrs

and the suspension work needed (2k) was what

prompted the trade up-loved the CVT.

Overall after 9000 km I am happy with DJ even the

the gas milage has improved slighlty after the 8000 km

mark.

My daughter recently took delivery of a '13 Mazda CX5

which has all the nice features you mentioned such as

blind spot,backup cam and rain sensing wipers plus 7.8/100km

in the city.

We recently drove it into TO and back and take my word for

it the car is almost identical to driving the Caliber same feel

with nice enhancements.

Unfortunately here in Brazil is very expensive car, just to give you an idea, a jouney costs $ 120,000.00, this will give approximately U.S. $ 65,000.00, and our gasoline is not very good, greed of the government and automakers.

And to complete the cars still come naked of options. So the Dodge cars are bringing at least more complete, but here the Dodge is not well known, and has a reputation for expensive car and high maintenance because it is sold with Mercedes.

But I'm pretty happy with mine, can not say much because I only have a few weeks, the only thing that appeared is a noise "Cricket" under the direction we do not know where it comes from.

Hugs ...

Dirceu Ximenes

- Tri-Zone ACC; will come in very handy as we usually change the temp frequently to give each other a turn as we can't usually find a good middle ground.

But you cannot activate the recirculation in winter (i.e, when the flow of air goes to the feet). That's utterly stupid and one of my pet peeves with this car.

- Auto headlights

Useless, since they take 4-5 seconds to light up when entering a tunnel. My previous two cars turned on the lights immediately.

- Center Console controls. Love the fact there are both soft and redundant hard keys for most functions.

But then you have to perform a 5 steps sequence to activate recirculation in winter (see above).

- Keyless Start and Go system; Fantastic. The extra lock/unlock buttons outside are convenient.

Yes, that's good, but it could be better: why emulate a key when it's not a key? I mean you have to press it once to simulate the rotation of the key to "ACC", press it again without the brake and wait for the pre-heating light to go off (I have a diesel engine), and press it a third time while pressing the brake and keep it pressing until the engine has completely started up.

I had a car 8 years ago that did all of the above automatically with just one light touch of the button.

- Front facing steering wheel buttons; not very responsive.

I agree, it's especially dangerous for the cruise control buttons, another pet peeve of mine.

- Auto Wipers (Rain Sensitive Wipers)

I had it before and I really miss that.

- The Chargers capless fuel fill door; really cool and should be standard on all models!

Also agree, had it on my previous two cars and loved it. Oh, and the gas cap without a key it's unacceptable.

- Lock/unlock of all doors on Center console as well as child lock button; seen this on the Equinox and thout it was a great place to put it.

Yes, I find the child safety for the rear doors quite anachronistic.

- Power seat memory for at least two drivers.

Yeah, it's quite stupid to provide power seats with no memory, I mean, I would have preferred some other equipment in its place (like the above mentioned rain sensing wipers).

- More data on the EVIC; Max Speed/Average Speed, things like that.

I hate seeing such gorgeous screens so underused and with such a waste of screen real estate, but it's just me, I love small fonts and lots of information shown at a time.

the only thing that appeared is a noise "Cricket" under the direction we do not know where it comes from.

If it does it while accelerating/decelerating (in my case also when using the clutch but I see yours is an automatic), it could be the nuts it the front wheel hubs getting loose.

My dealer assured me it's not dangerous (I don't believe him) and just tightened them, but they should be replaced (he will as soon as he has the replacement available).

In any case, you should have your car checked.

But you cannot activate the recirculation in winter (i.e, when the flow of air goes to the feet). That's utterly stupid and one of my pet peeves with this car.

this isn't such a big deal for me, as the only time I've used recirculate in the past is when I've started the AC for the first time on a hot day. otherwise I don't touch it.

Useless, since they take 4-5 seconds to light up when entering a tunnel. My previous two cars turned on the lights immediately.

No issues here; the auto lights come on as soon as it gets too dark (ie going into my underground parking, as soon as the sensor passes into the dark, the lights come on immediately. the only time there is a delay is when the wipers are turned on, and I'd assume that's to prevent flashing for people who manually turn it on for a second and turn it back off again. For me, it works as expected. Question: how well lighted are the tunnels you enter? maybe the sensitivity has to be adjusted?

Yes, that's good, but it could be better: why emulate a key when it's not a key? I mean you have to press it once to simulate the rotation of the key to "ACC", press it again without the brake and wait for the pre-heating light to go off (I have a diesel engine), and press it a third time while pressing the brake and keep it pressing until the engine has completely started up.

I had a car 8 years ago that did all of the above automatically with just one light touch of the button.

this might be an issue with the diesel only, specifically with the glo plugs; with Gas Engines you just hit the brake, press the button and go. I do like the fact I can cycle to acc and on without starting the engine, but it's totally optional. my main issue is that I'm still trying to turn the key that doesn't exist. I'm also still getting used to driving an auto again after having standard for the last 8 years...luckily I haven't hit the parking brake thinking it's the clutch yet, but I've come close :D

cheers!

Steph S.

Unfortunately here in Brazil is very expensive car, just to give you an idea, a jouney costs $ 120,000.00, this will give approximately U.S. $ 65,000.00, and our gasoline is not very good, greed of the government and automakers.

And to complete the cars still come naked of options. So the Dodge cars are bringing at least more complete, but here the Dodge is not well known, and has a reputation for expensive car and high maintenance because it is sold with Mercedes.

But I'm pretty happy with mine, can not say much because I only have a few weeks, the only thing that appeared is a noise "Cricket" under the direction we do not know where it comes from.

Hugs ...

Dirceu Ximenes

holy price hike...65K US is ridiculous....

this isn't such a big deal for me, as the only time I've used recirculate in the past is when I've started the AC for the first time on a hot day. otherwise I don't touch it.

It is a big deal for me when I'm stuck in traffic (i.e., every other day)

No issues here; the auto lights come on as soon as it gets too dark (ie going into my underground parking, as soon as the sensor passes into the dark, the lights come on immediately. the only time there is a delay is when the wipers are turned on, and I'd assume that's to prevent flashing for people who manually turn it on for a second and turn it back off again. For me, it works as expected. Question: how well lighted are the tunnels you enter? maybe the sensitivity has to be adjusted?

Well, I've been complaining about this issue since I had the car. Last week, after 7 months, they finally checked both with mine and with another car and they agree, it takes too much time. Good to know it can be made to work as expected, pity that they don't know how to do it over here.

this might be an issue with the diesel only, specifically with the glo plugs; with Gas Engines you just hit the brake, press the button and go. I do like the fact I can cycle to acc and on without starting the engine

Easy, just don't push the brake (or clutch in my case). No need for an extra ACC "key" position. That's how my old car worked, and it was a diesel too.

I also think that it used a nifty trick: it activated the glow plugs as soon as I opened the door, in fact, IIRC, I saw the lamp twice in 4 years (and the same with the next car, though it had a normal key).

With the freemont, I have to wait 3-4 seconds every morning for the lamp to go off (and sometimes even in the afternoon if the engine has cooled down), maybe because they couldn't implement this trick in a car originally designed for a petrol engine.

• 2 months later...

Lowoski. Now you're just whinning.

Don't know how many tunnels you're driving by overthrere.

The last car that I owned with auto headlights was a 96 Buick riviera. LOVED IT! The sensitivity was adjustable between 3sec and 45sec. Too sensative is bad as you drive thru underpasses. You start flashing lights.

Too sensative, or quick to turn on would turn your lights on when you drive by a big tree.

The reason why u can't circulate and defrost is because the air is circulated thru the windshield vents.

Never had a car that wasn't like that.

Look up last gen Altima reviews. One of the biggest complaints upon release was the engine start button. It was in fact set up to turn on the engine at first push with the brakes. So most people would have to turn on the engine, and shut it off to get acc. Most people as they enter the car, step on the brake as well.

@Mcgusto, you could say I'm whining, but I'm just comparing this car with the previous ones I had: the automatic lights worked perfectly (they lit up immediately entering a tunnel but never in light shade or under a bridge). What's the use of automatic lights if I have to turn them on manually? (I can be fined if I enter a tunnel with the lights off).

Also, you're right that you cannot defrost and recirculate, that's not my problem, the problem is that you cannot recirculate with the flow directed at the feet, so you'll press the button and the car, instead of recirculating, just ignores it. Never had a car that worked this stupid way. I know that with high humidity and recirculation there can be condensation on the windshield (which, btw, never happened), but let me decide. In case that my decision is wrong, there's a big defrost button to remedy it, and I accept that the defrost button (but only the defrost button) will exclude the recirculation.

Recirculating the air in winter up here in Canukville is a no no. Almost instant fogged up windows especially if there are a few persons in the vehicle and they are breathing.... The hvac system dehumidifies the air to assist with anti fogging, recirc bypasses this important feature.

Nobody forces you to activate the recirculation, OTOH this stupid system forces me not to.

Trust me, I tried (by setting the flow to the feet and face and closing the vents in the dashboard, with the net effect of having recirculation on and only air directed at the feet) and there's no trace of fogging.

Hi Folks.....well I've had my base Journey for a month....two fill-ups.....exactly 33.4 mpg (imperial)...for both....75% highway, 25 city....still can't get used to this fob (without key) thing....anyone figured out the BEST way to keep a fob in the car...so that if all else fails....the valet key will get you in......scenario....have fob with key....battery is dead....you can open the door, but no start as battery is dead....keep a battery hidden in the car..???....I cut a door key.....and keep it in my wallet.....if i hid a fob and battery seperately in the car.....I could get it to go....

I love the ride of this vehicle......wish it had slight better mpg on the highway (coming from a Toyota Echo, 5 speed).....not a fair comparison....wonder about the durability of the brakes....what are people demanding from their dealership.....if within the 3 year warranty..???

Hi Folks.....well I've had my base Journey for a month....two fill-ups.....exactly 33.4 mpg (imperial)...for both....75% highway, 25 city....still can't get used to this fob (without key) thing....anyone figured out the BEST way to keep a fob in the car...so that if all else fails....the valet key will get you in......scenario....have fob with key....battery is dead....you can open the door, but no start as battery is dead....keep a battery hidden in the car..???....I cut a door key.....and keep it in my wallet.....if i hid a fob and battery seperately in the car.....I could get it to go....

I love the ride of this vehicle......wish it had slight better mpg on the highway (coming from a Toyota Echo, 5 speed).....not a fair comparison....wonder about the durability of the brakes....what are people demanding from their dealership.....if within the 3 year warranty..???

Why don't you just keep a spare battery in your glove box?

I'm getting the feeling that keeping a spare key IN the car is a terrible idea. LoL Something in the realm of insurance denying theft claim.

The manual does say that the key works with a dead battery. If its anything like the caravan key. The claim is accurate, car starts with a dead key battery. (not push to start, but there isn't sn actual key either)

Btw, welcome to the forum. Enjoy your DJ