Never Too Much Light

post-5350-0-27673500-1335217513_thumb.jpMy family is pretty active in the outdoors and quite often we find ourselves out in the middle of nowhere, in the dark. I come from Alaska and with our long dark winters I have always been a fan of “more light”. I wanted to add some off road lights to our DJ but wanted to do it in a way they can be easily removed when not needed. I used a product many years ago called a Carr Light Wing. I ordered one recently and installed it along with two KC lights on our 2012 SXT. Below you will find a picture of the lights installed. I’ve left the license plate off so you can see how easy installation and removal is. The light wing mounts with two screws. I opted for longer bolts that way I could beef it up to minimize light vibration. When I decide to remove it all I’ll need is to take the wing off and unplug the lights. The lights are plugged in behind and below the grill do it looks prettier, lol.

To run the power I used a relay system. I installed a switch in the cab right next to where the old dimmer switch used to be. When the switch is in the on position, the lights will turn on when the high beams do. The lights themselves are powered off the battery on their own circuit. I tapped into the high beams just to power the relay. I went this route so the TIPM will never have an unexpected current flow.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok ya you come from Alaska where you have long dark winters, but Elko doesn't have long dark winters (just cold ones) and I'm sure you don't make that trip to Alaska often. IMO you "RUINED" a nice new journey. It is known that journeys are not off road vehicles to begin with. Especially FWD ones like yours. Not saying the AWD ones are off roaders either. As the saying goes "different strokes for different folks." If you like it then more power to you I just know that in Nevada people try to make their vehicles TRENDY (ie: off road lights) and you spent more on an FAMILY SUV than you could of on an off road capable truck. Again more power to you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How did you get the harness through the firewall? I am trying to hook up some lights using the same mount. I have a 2010 R/T and can't find a grommet to pass the switch wiring through. The LED lights I purchased are easy to hook up, but I can't power up the relay using the high beam circuit (without modifying the harness; voiding the warranty) so I have to run the lights manually. I can't even find a decent spot on the dash to mount the switch. :(

• 11 months later...

Here is a view of the distance from the lights to the vehicle. It was also important to me that the lights don't touch or rub our DJ.

This is just outrageous....I know it's been a while, but if someone can write a detailed info on how to go about this and get the parts, that will be wonderful on your part. This might be the way to go for me instead of trying to get fog lights installed on my 2014 CVP dodge journey

Need more light also

This is just outrageous....I know it's been a while, but if someone can write a detailed info on how to go about this and get the parts, that will be wonderful on your part. This might be the way to go for me instead of trying to get fog lights installed on my 2014 CVP dodge journey

Need more light also

Internet search.

http://carr.com/light-bars/light-wings.html

http://www.kchilites.com/

Lights will come with wiring instructions. Light bar will come with mounting instructions.