Unusual "growling" noise....dealer hasn't found the cause as yet

Texann

Hi everybody,

New Journey owner here in East Texas as of May 12. I really LOVE my new Journey so far except for an annoying and as yet undiagnosed noise that appears upon acceleration. I can best describe it as a kind of low, throaty "growling" noise. My husband and I did not notice it when we first began driving our Journey and it did not appear in the Journey that we test drove at the dealer. We actually ordered this Journey because we wanted the Light Sandstone Metallic color and our local dealer was able to find one at a dealer in Louisiana, which we took delivery of the day after they found it for us.

The noise has actually gotten more pronounced since we have had the vehicle and we have put over 2400 miles on it with several fairly long trips so far. We had the dealer service dept. keep the car for several days recently and they heard the noise but have not been able to pinpoint it so far. They do not think it is a mechanical problem and the car is performing just fine except for this annoying extra noise. They think it is some kind of vibration possibly caused by a heat shield or something.

I am taking the car back to the service dept. tomorrow to have a part replaced to fix a different problem that has recently come up.....the airbag warning light has been staying on for long periods of time and they are going to fix that as well as make another attempt to find the source of the unusual noise.

If anyone has had a similar problem with an unusual noise (not a squeaking or creaking noise, but an unusual "growling" noise that is separate from the regular engine noise), please let me know. My dealer has sent out inquiries to try to find out if any other new Journey owners have experienced this same problem but so far they have not found any.

My Journey is the SXT FWD model with 7 passenger seating group option and 17" aluminum wheels.

I am so glad that I found this site....I hope to be an active contributor and learner!

Welcome to the site Texann

The sound you have could it be the power steering pump? Is it more noticable when turning? The growl you get is it the same sound as a powersteering pump?

Keep us posted so we all can learn from the sound and the fix

Rob

Hit-By-Thunder,

Thanks for the welcome. I have read the posts pertaining to the problem with the power steering pump noise on left turns but that isn't the problem with my Journey. My husband says it's a kind of a vibration. We don't hear it all of the time but it seems to become more noticeable when the car gets heated up rather than when it is cold.

Hopefully the problem will be diagnosed soon and can be fixed easily once we know what is causing it. It sure seems like my Journey is the only one having this problem. It would be much easier to solve if there were a lot of vehicles experiencing this same problem.

Funny you should ask about a sound like that. We just got ours back after they installed the tow prep kit that was supposed to be on it. We had a 2008 Grand Caravan se and it too has a noise accelerating and sometimes as you brake.

I told the service people they might wat to look and they said a bulletin had come out re loose straps or something on the exhaust which resulted in noises like that. Perhaps your Journey is suffering the same fate.

And yes I am glad we have the quiet Journey back after driving the van.

The Stewie

I had my Journey back to the dealer's service dept. today to have a part installed to fix the airbag warning light issue that has recently started. They had ordered the part and it took about a week for it to come in. So far the light hasn't come back on so hopefully this problem has been fixed.

The noise problem has finally been detected after several days in and out of the service dept. and a "kit" of some kind has been ordered which is supposed to fix the unusual noise which is originating in the exhaust system. Hopefully, the part will be here in a week or so and once installed will fix this problem.

When I get the paperwork pertaining to the warranty work done on my Journey after the work is done on the exhaust system I will post info pertaining to the parts which were ordered to fix both of the problems that I have had with my Journey. Maybe that will help someone else who may experience the same problems as I have.

I actually just posted on a different forum about this topic. 4 days after purchasing mine I started to hear a metal against metal sound upon acceleration. However, mine was worse when the car was cold and would then cease once the car had been running for a few minutes. After 1st being told it was the power steering pump, which was replaced and NOT the problem it went back to the dealer again. This time they were able to hear the noise loud and clear. Turns out it was the heat shield that covers the exhaust system. It was loose therefore vibrating against the exhaust system causing the metal again metal sound. Not sure if this describes what is happening to you or not......but it's worth a shot! Good luck! I hope they can locate your problem soon.....

UPDATE:

The dealer ordered a new muffler for my Journey after they pinpointed the noise problem. The part came in today and I am going to get it installed on July 15 after I get back from vacation. They could have done it next week but I will be out of town so I scheduled an appointment for the following week. I hope this finally solves the unusual noise problem. I will let everyone know how this turns out just as soon as the work is completed.

I've noticed this as well....started about a month after having the journey. Took a trip on the weekend and it was driving me nuts....you could hear the humming over the radio. I will be calling the dealership today to book an appointment to have this looked at....and hoepfully they can resolve it quickly.

I had the same problem occur on our Journey at 300 miles. We would hear it from a dead stop acceleration and in left turns. The final solution, after a new power steering pump was put in (wrong), was a new exhaust system from front to rear. Go ask the dealer to change it.

Chrysler need a better database for information sharing between dealerships. Maybe they should read this forum! :)

HI, we have had our Journey since about May. We also notice a noise upon taking off from stop which I am thinking must be a transmission noise. I don't know if I would describe it as a growl so might not be the same. It is annoying, we are going to take it to dealer and have a service agent drive with us to hear the noise...I am hoping its just not how the vehicle sounds all the time!!

Joyce

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The dealer ordered a new muffler for my Journey after they pinpointed the noise problem. The part came in today and I am going to get it installed on July 15 after I get back from vacation. They could have done it next week but I will be out of town so I scheduled an appointment for the following week. I hope this finally solves the unusual noise problem. I will let everyone know how this turns out just as soon as the work is completed.

UPDATE #2:

My dealer's service dept. replaced the entire exhaust system on my Journey yesterday which has solved the unusual noise problem. I recently received a card pertaining to the engine wire harness recall and they took care of that as well by rerouting the wiring in the harness. Hopefully, this latest trip to the service dept. will take care of my Journey for quite awhile now. I am very pleased with the great service I have received from my local dealer. I was also quite pleased when I picked up my Journey yesterday afternoon and they had washed it for me, even getting the "bug juice" off of the front bumper! I will post here again if I have any more problems with my Journey but for now I am a most happy Journey owner of two months!

I took delivery of a Journey SXT in mid-June and almost immediately noticed a whine under light acceleration. To me it sounds the same as worn differential gears. If I give it more gas the noise stops or if I decelerate the noise also disappears. I haven't taken it in to the dealer yet but will let you know what they find, if anything. The car also makes a brief noise during left-hand turns. I'll have that checked as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally took my Journey into the dealer to have them look at the whinning noise that's occurring under light acceleration. I'm also experiencing the noise that occurs when turning left. They feel the whinning noise is due to a defective crown and pinion gear which is what it sounded like to me. They are ordering in the parts and will call me to have work done when they arrive. I asked him about the "turning left noise" and he felt the gears could be causing that as well. I will report back when the repairs are done. My Journey has 3300 km on it.

READ THIS!

The problem with your Journey related to the growling noise is the exhaust system. I had the exact same problem. After three attempts to fix the problem, a new exhaust system remedied the situation. I know what you are thinking... What an idiot to suggest such a thing..., but it is true. When you turn the car to the left or accelerate from a stop, somethin is causing the exhaust system parts to resonate and make this sound.

Read this thread.

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=201

The noise I and I believe Texann are referring to is during light acceleration and it is a longer sound (not the short grr when turning left).

This noise for me happens if the vehicle is under light acceleration and as it passes 2000 rpm. eg. cruise set at 80 km/h and it slowly needs to accelerate up a grade...as soon as the tach hits 2000 rpm there is a grrrrrrrrrrrrrr that will stay as long as the tach is around 2k rpm. (doesn't matter what gear or what speed.) Light acceleration and 2000 rpms seems to be the trigger for the grrrrrrrrr sound.

• 3 weeks later...
I had my Journey back to the dealer's service dept. today to have a part installed to fix the airbag warning light issue that has recently started. They had ordered the part and it took about a week for it to come in. So far the light hasn't come back on so hopefully this problem has been fixed.

The noise problem has finally been detected after several days in and out of the service dept. and a "kit" of some kind has been ordered which is supposed to fix the unusual noise which is originating in the exhaust system. Hopefully, the part will be here in a week or so and once installed will fix this problem.

When I get the paperwork pertaining to the warranty work done on my Journey after the work is done on the exhaust system I will post info pertaining to the parts which were ordered to fix both of the problems that I have had with my Journey. Maybe that will help someone else who may experience the same problems as I have.

Hi Texann,

I am experiencing a similar noise from my Journey SXT. The noise sounds more like a worn wheel bearing rather than a growl. It happens mainly during light acceleration while city driving. I took it back to the dealer and was told that the noise was caused by "exhaust drone". The service rep said that it's normal for the SXT because of the dual exhaust system. Based on what I've read from other forums, exhaust drone is basically that low muscle-car sound one hears from racing-type mufflers. I would expect to hear the 'drone' if I were accelerating heavily, but no such sound happens.

I see from your update that the exhaust work has solved the noise problem; are you able to provide some more details on what was actually done by the dealer?

BTW, I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks.

After the dealer replaced the exhaust system I did not at first notice the "low growl" that I had been experiencing for the first couple of months after I got my Journey. However, I have noticed that the noise has returned although much, much less intense than it had been before the exhaust system was replaced. It is usually noticeable when the car is accelerating and lasts sometimes until around 2000-2500 RPM's. It sounds like it is coming from right under the accelerator pedal under the floorboard. I have had my Journey since May 12 and I test drove a couple of Journeys before buying mine through my local Dodge dealer, who found the Journey I wanted at another dealership and had it delivered, and neither one of them had this noise. The noise in my Journey didn't start right away but seemed to begin after the first couple of hundred miles or so.

It is interesting to me that many Journey owners say they do not have this "low growl" at all and at least one poster said his dealer told him this noise was normal for vehicles with dual exhausts. I am wondering why only some of the Journeys have this extra exhaust "drone" and others do not? If this is "normal" then ALL Journeys should have this noise. I have not taken my Journey back to the dealer because the noise isn't overly annoying (I don't even notice it when I have the radio on). I am going to wait and see if it gets much worse and then I will take it back to see what can be done. BTW, my dealer said the noise was NOT normal and they took some time trying to find the source of the noise before finally determining that it was a defective part in the exhaust (I don't know exactly what part) and they replaced the entire system. They told me that the replacement came as a complete "kit" so I guess that's why the entire system was replaced. I don't know how competent my dealer's service department is, but I do think they have tried their best to diagnose and fix the problem.

BTW, this noise is NOT related to the left turn noise that many Journey owners are describing. I have never heard any extra noise when making a left turn in my Journey, so I am certain this is something entirely different.

If anyone has any further information on this exhaust drone problem, please keep us updated on any new information you may have.

Thanks,

Texann

I picked up my Journey from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the crown and pinion gear in the transaxle, in response to my complaint of a whining noise under light acceleration. It has cleared the problem, much to my relief. They also topped up the power steering fluid which seems to have solved the "turning left noise" referred to by other members of the forum. Hope I don't have to have anymore major surgery done to the vehicle for a long while.

I picked up my Journey from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the crown and pinion gear in the transaxle, in response to my complaint of a whining noise under light acceleration. It has cleared the problem, much to my relief. They also topped up the power steering fluid which seems to have solved the "turning left noise" referred to by other members of the forum. Hope I don't have to have anymore major surgery done to the vehicle for a long while.

I think the "whining" noise may be a different type of noise than the low "growl" or exhaust "drone" that my Journey has been having. I have sometimes heard a little bit of a whine during gear changes but it isn't significant. Today, I briefly drove my Journey and didn't notice any "growl" at all, even with the radio turned off. It's definitely a weird deal.

RE: Growling / Howling Noise

Is anyone experiencing the noise described in this thread within a days drive of Detroit Michigan? I'd like to send someone to look at your car.

Thank you

I live in Saginaw, Michigan and I have been experiencing this noise, both at 2000rpm, during left turns and another noise while in 4th-5th gear. Have had it to the local dealership twice since purchase in May 2008. I had a differ Journey, purchased in April that did not make any noise as described in threads. My husband totaled that one, and had to replace it.