How Do You Wax A White Vehicle?

Windancer

I was just giving my vehicle a spring cleanup on Friday and I had a few observations:

Although I have done it before to this vehicle, I was just wondering if anyone had some "tips" for waxing a white vehicle. In the past I have only done one area at a time ie: fender, door etc. Is there something I missed?
;)

Something else I noticed and maybe someone else has already mentioned it, but "magic erasers" seem to work well at removing small rust spots on the "chrome" 19" wheels.

Terry

If you would like to know how to polish your vehicle, go to Autos.ca and then from the main page go to the Car Talk Forum, then scroll down to Detailing Tips and Tricks. If you can't find your answer there for polishing a white vehcile, I would suggest, joining the forum and then under the heading Detailing Help Come on In, post your question. The person who started that thread is a professional detailer. and a super nice guy.

No doubt CanuckG35(thats his forum name) will tell you what you need to know, and will most likely recomment what the professionals use, as well as techiques for applying and removing product suggested

I had some questions about detailing my new Journey when it comes in and he answered all my questions. I ordered the products he suggested, and then "practiced" on my sons 10 year old Subaru. Wow what a difference. it took alot of time, but it was worth it.

One thing you should do before asking him any questions, would be to give the vehcile a wash and then check and see how smooth the surface is. He may ask you that question and may suggest clay barring the vehicle as a prep for applying a sealant. I clay barred my sons vehicle and what a difference in the texture of the surface. After applying a sealant, I placed the bottle on the hood whiie applying the sealant to the roof, and the hood was so slippery, the bottle starting sliding of the hood.

I was a little worried about clay barring even his vehicle, but it was very easy. It only took a few minutes to get the hang of it. IThe only thing I will say is that is the very time consuming part of the detailing. But I will leave the actual advice on how to do that to the professional as he can explain how to do it better then me.

Also look at "well that sucks" in the same thread as he had one of his vehciles bumpers scraped by another driver. You will see he knows what he's doing. Also check out the thread "show and shine" -all detailed up . More pictures of one the vehicle that was damaged, but now freshly detailed.

Hope this helps.

LOL, now I see your problem, white on white. .

Waxes and sealants should always be applied and removed in a straight line. This prevents swirl marks from appearing. I would recommend as per professional detailer advice to apply a sealant before waxing. The sealant will last about 5 months.

When I had a white Subaru Impreza, for the hood and roof areas, I would do about 1/2 of the surface and let that dry to a haze. Once that dried, I would then apply the wax to the remainder of the hood/roof. The while that dried to a haze, I would remove the haze from the previous area. I found it was easier see what had been waxed and what needed to be waxed.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a white 911 and I know the issue here...

It does take time to see where you've been, with good light in your garage you will get it right, just move your head up/down,side/side until you can tell if there is a spot missing.. definitely one panel at the time..

Note: Never-ever use a chamois or cloth that has fallen to the ground. Be as surgical as an operating room.. take your time and bring a six-pack so you enjoy it...