oil changes and air filters

2late4u

just got back from dealer from having my oil changed and they said my cabin air filter was real dirty and showed it to me and i said go ahead and change it. ouch $23. with my company discount ( $26. RETAIL)no charge to put it in,they said it was under the glove box looked but didnt see where it went have to look again. checked on a air filter for the engine and it was about $26. also and cant find any at local auto parts so i broke down and ordered one off auto anything they matched advance auto got it for $43. should be in come monday or tue. have one on my 2001 truck thought it might help gas mileage but it never did.will see if it does any thing on the journey at least will save some money on replacement filters cost.so far still loveing my journey gas mileage about 19- 20 in town and 23-25 on the road. also picked up one oil filter cost me about $7.. with my discount retailed for $8.25 will do a syn oil change next oil change was going to let the dealer do it this time and pay the difference in price from the reg oil but they didnt have any in stock and they would have to had sent someone down the street to get the oil(what the hell) told them to skip it and just do the reg oil change for now. and this is a huge dealership and they dont keep no syn oil on hand had to laugh about that one. oh well

just found the cabin air filter on 2011 mainstreet. open the glove box and then push in on the tabs at each side so the box opens all the way and spill the contents on the floor. then look straight in at the long cover that says air flow this way, push on on tabs at each end. then pull out filter and replace with new one, put every thing back and then keep blood from dripping on carpet as there are some REAL SHARP edges in there so be carefull learn from my experince LOL just 2 small cuts. also advance auto does have these in stock for about $16.00.... if you are fat and old like me you might just want to pay someone or maybee the auto parts store might put it in for you.

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from a trip went 488 miles round trip some city driving and rest highway used 20 gals avg. 24.4 mpg. i had just put in a K N air filter .seems it might have helped a little as i usaully get around 22 -23 on this stretch of road. going on a longer trip next month will check it again. this is going about 65-75 mph. i re-set the computer while driving and car said i was getting 26 -27 mpg so anyone who does that is not getting a true sample. always use miles divided by gallons to get a true mpg.and best to use 3 to 4 tanks to get a good avg.

just got back from a trip went 488 miles round trip some city driving and rest highway used 20 gals avg. 24.4 mpg. i had just put in a K N air filter .seems it might have helped a little as i usaully get around 22 -23 on this stretch of road. going on a longer trip next month will check it again. this is going about 65-75 mph. i re-set the computer while driving and car said i was getting 26 -27 mpg so anyone who does that is not getting a true sample. always use miles divided by gallons to get a true mpg.and best to use 3 to 4 tanks to get a good avg.
forgot to add that didnt notice any added noise from engine after adding the K N airfilter

Thanks for the info 2late4u. Although my Journey hasn't arrived yet, I ordered the K&N Air Filter on the advice of person I know who is really into modifying cars. He says this is a cheap way to get a bit extra HP and a slight increase in your MPG avg.

Glad to hear from someone that had installed one, that the air filter seems to have some benefit, other then being a lifetime air filter.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the report on the K&N filter. I just found it after I bought a OEM filter for my 3.6L... I am glad to see this may be a good investment in a few months.