Journey 8.4 uconnect, add nav

I like the integration, but at $700, plus the cost of a backup camera and their navigator? And you can apparently add in a Bluetooth module as well. And who knows about the mapping?

For now I am sticking with my 'junky' Garmin 3790, which is an advanced version of the system they have integrated into the 8.4 that has more operating featgures and includes lifetime map updates that cost $175/year and lifetime real time traffic - mine is mounted above the rear view mirror and the wiring is run through the headliner, so it looks more integrated that it would had I just stuck it to the windshield and let the power cord dangle.

Just got off the Phone with NAV-TV and spoke with a technician called "Tony" - he told me the only solution available to add a Backup Camera or a Navigation to the 4.3/8.4 uConnect screen is this UCI-11C piece -

They told me they had Garmin Navigation for the UCI-11C and that the mapping is similar if not the same to the Factory Navigation - I guess they have two types of Navigation systems available?

Thinking about ordering it over the weekend, but will do some more research on it -

Yea just waiting on my tax returns.....there is no way to do it from the dealer or any other way that truly integrates to the screen.....should be a couple more days but it seems like they now have a new Navigation Interface for the same product -

Youtube -

Garmin too, which i think is the factory standard anyways-

Before you send your $$$$ to these guys for your systems, you should note that the Kenwood KNA-G610 navigator they use can be purchased for less than $200 online (it retails for $800).

I dont know what THEY sell the GPS for, and you will need the wiring harness, but I suspect this is a quick way to knock off $400 so from the installed cost.

I wrote that you could probably lower your cost by $400 (which is substantial on a $1700 purchase) by sourcing the GPS elsewhere. I never suggested you wouldn't need to buy the controller by doing so - in fact I pointed out that you'd still need to buy their wiring harness.

If you have any questions for them it isn't exactly difficult to click on the "chat now' button on their web site to ask.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there!

What do you know guys if I'm not interested in the GPS function of this UCI unit? I got my GPS from Garmin and installed over the dashboard, but I don't want a third screen over there... I just need to install a rear backup camera using my 8,4 OEM screen and if possible, another screen so kids can whatch their movies in their back seat (on the move, of course!).

Thanks in advance from Colombia!

Camilo Q.

Just as an interesting sidelight in the area of backup cams/gps

here is an address/url to check out.It's second item on page.

Maybe some members need this as a solution.

http://www.chinavasi...r-view-cameras/

I don't want anyone to get all tense abt Chinese products but they are a fact of life

nowdays and have been for many years,I have dealt with the seller in the past and

received the product I bought quickly and as advertised.

The price shown is in Canadian dollars which at the moment is par with US dollar.

Edited by bigtsr