Is the 2.4L a good engine?

AggsFan

I'm looking at an SE with the 2.4L and was wondering how well the engine holds up. I've driven a 3.6L and it was nice, but puts me in a different price point. I can get what I want(not much) in the base model. It'll be basically a commuter. Love all other standard features: power interior, 7 airbags, 4 wheel disk brakes, etc.

Just wanted to get some real opinions. Thanks.

The 2.4 is one of the World engines designed by Chrysler,Mitsubishi

and Hyundai.

It has been in use since abt 2006,I drove the 2.0L verision for over 5 yrs

in a Dodge Caliber during which time I was a member of a Caliber forum

and in that time very few of the 1.8,2.0 or 2.4 L reported failure.

I was happy with the mpg and peppy response in the Caliber.

However when I first test drove a DJ with 2.4 / 4 spd auto I found it

lacking probably due to the 4 spd auto.

I chose the 3.6 L / 6spd auto and thoroughly enjoy driving it.

Check this out:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

Edited by bigtsr

Can anyone tell me about the history of the 3.6-liter Pentestar VVT 6-cylinder engine? Who designed it, when, etc. I am planning to buy a 2012 Journey with a 3.6-liter engine and one salesman is telling me that it is basically a Fiat design while another salesman is telling me that it is a Chrysler design. So, I am confused. I would trust more the one who is telling me that it is a Fiat design becasue he comes across as a more knowledgeable person. Please let me know if you can.

Well I enjoyed driving my '07 Caliber 2.0L/CVT it was a fun car but it was

only 3400 lbs at 158 hp.

I was going to buy a DJ in 2010 but I test drove the 2.4L/4 spd auto

and in my opinion it was like pushing a marshmellow with a rope,

to boot I did not like the style/finish on the dash.

When I saw the '11 and test drove the 3.6L I bought one that week.

I own a 2012 CVP with the 2.4L and it's a fine engine. It's not going to move mountains, and if you're a lead footer, you'll be disappointed. If you're doing it for mileage, don't. The difference between the 2.4 and 3.6 is minimal at best. BUT if, like me, price point on the vehicle is a consideration, the 2.4L is FINE. Perfectly fine. It has no problems doing 80mph on the interstates, or zipping around town.

That said, if price isn't a factor, and you CAN move up to the Pentastar, I would. But I wouldn't lose sleep over taking home the 2.4 either. I love my Journey ... even with that "anemic" little 4 banger under the hood.

Thanks Chris, price is a factor. I've driven both and while the v6 is great, the 4 is fine. It's mostly a commuter for me (30 miles each way for work).

Do you have any performance upgrades planned? I haven't seen much available since the car is so new, but I'm sure the plans are underway. Of course, I don't want to void the warranty. And if it's a nominal upgrade, it wouldn't be worth the money. I will probably just end up happy to have a solid vehicle that is comfortable to drive.

Thanks Big, your post gave me an idea to look at the Caliber forums. So many of those guys do engine mods and have had the same engine for longer. Some are a bit outlandish, but they get pretty creative.

I got an '11 Express (with flexible seating & premium groups) primarily due to cost-- not wanting a car note, and getting an extra 1-2 mpg saves $ over the long term. I like to run my cars into the ground, ideally 200k miles. And over the lifetime of the vehicle an extra 1 mpg translates into about $1,500 saved.

Second was reliability. The 3.6L is brand new and unproven, and the 62TE has documented problems. Online I have found no problems documented with the 2.4L nor the 40TES. The engine has been around for 6 years and the transmission has been around in some form and updated/perfected over the past 20+ years. Perhaps it's ancient, unrefined, overstressed, etc- but it should be a solid powertrain. Just run full synthetic 5W20, Mopar brand ATF+4, Mopar brand coolant, and don't be afraid to rev it up or use the autostick. It won't win races but I think it runs adequately for commute purposes and on the highway at 75 mph. However if you're loaded with 6-7 people it's a bit underpowered on the highway.

Guest luv2drive

Personally I enjoy vehicles with decent horsepower, traded in my Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi for a Mustang last year, also just bought a 2012 Dodge Journey 2.4L last month as a family vehicle. And I can say without hesitation I am definitely satisfied with the 2.4L. It won't win any races but for a 4cyl it's acceleration is more than adequate.

Bought the 2.4L to save a few bucks and I have no regrets at all.

• 6 months later...

Ditto here. Gets great mileage (got me 30.1 off cruise and 28.5 on cruise on a 600 mile round trip this month). No hot rod, but not bad. I also have not been able to find a single complaint online about it. Lots of room to work on it after hte warranty expires. Very pleased.

• 4 years later...

Hi. I have a big problem with my 2009 journey 2.4.  first I aspire air through the throttle body and a connecting rod broke, consume oil, a piston pin makes noise and is now under pressure to engine oil because the chain tensioner stopped tightening. very bad engine and only use for traveling

4 hours ago, Mott4 said:

Hi. I have a big problem with my 2009 journey 2.4.  first I aspire air through the throttle body and a connecting rod broke, consume oil, a piston pin makes noise and is now under pressure to engine oil because the chain tensioner stopped tightening. very bad engine and only use for traveling

No, it is not a very bad engine. It is quite dependable if maintained properly.

On 10/17/2016 at 2:35 AM, Mott4 said:

it's a very dependable engine. not a ton of power but properly maintain it will last a long time..  sounds like a neglected engine with no oil changes or pushing harder than it was meant to ...

I had the 2.4 2010 Journey, didnt like it at all. Pulling into a highway was sometimes a trouble, forget uphill passing! Plus, it is a 4 speeds. I personally didnt like it at all. Its a small engine for a heavy car like the journey.

I agree it does not have much power for such a big car, however, it is very dependable. You just have to realize its limitations. Merging takes awhile, but once up are up to speed and in the upper RPM ranges, it is very capable. Drove ours loaded with 5 people and luggage on a 7 hour trip. It did very well. That being said, now that I have the 3.6, I'd never go back.

We have a 2009 with the 2.4 4 banger in it (since December 2010), and while yes it is under-powered in comparison to the V6s, it has been a good engine. It is a base model with no third row seating, which helps weight-wise.  We do only have 70 some thousand miles on it, and it is regularly maintained.  (Our previous MoPar family cars were a 93 T & C w/ the 3.3, a 2000 T & C with the 3.8, and my current work vehicle is the 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan w/ the 4.0.  So yes, I know the difference.)