Best products or techniques for undercoating/rustproofing

SilverSXT

Hey I'm still in the market but more than likely Im going to purchase a Journey SXT this summer and the first thing I want to do it protect it. Any of you guys have had undercoating done? What are the best products/places to get this done? I know Ziebart does undercoating as well as the dealer. Im just curious to see what is best product/value is out there. Once the undercoating is done I plan to get some Weathertech floor liners and from what I have read so far on this forum people seem to like them. After the protection is done then its time for the mods haha :)

I personally use the rust check spray system. It is quite similar to the Krown spray in the fact that they both are sprays that can be applied wet and actually repel water and get into all the crevices that water can get into. It prevents that water from freezing and flexing the metal which is why rust starts in the first place.

From what I remember, and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me, ziebart is a hard spray coating which covers everything. The problem is that if it chips, and water gets underneath the coating, your car can rust out and you'll never know it.

ok so this krown is just a thin coat type spray compared to ziebart? With the krown, do you pay a one time price or is it a yearly cost? My uncle also used an electrical shock type of undercoating I'll have to ask him about the details on that...I wonder how that works out in the elements since he keeps his car garaged and it rarely sees salt

Edited by SilverSXT

Yes Krown and rust check are both a light oil sprays which get into crevices much easier. However because of the fact that it is a light spray, it does eventually wash off so it is a yearly cost which is around 100.00.

With rust check (and i assume Krown) you get the added benefit of them spraying inside door sills and quarter panels. Just be prepared that this may involve them drilling holes to access those locations. This canbe a scary sight the first time you see it done to your brand new baby. :)

The electronic protection you speak of, wo rks by ionizing the metal in an attempt to prevent rust from being attracted to the metal of the car. I have no idea if it is any better then the spray based systems of not but it sure sounds like a rip off..

Anyone care to add to this?

That's a good question however in order to patch a chip, you have to get under the car and find the chip.

:)

i wonder if ziebart with the "hard" coating as opposed to the Krown method is better, more permanent cost effective option for over time, because you can always touch up a chipped area of the Ziebarted coating.

The dealer I got my Journey from applied Cilajet. It is an aviation grade protectant. All exterior, wheels, glass and interior was done. Nothing sticks to it, not even paint (has to be removedin the event of an accident before repaint) and has a 10 year warrenty. Any spots on the seats or carpet that won't come out, Cilajet will pay to have carpet replaced. New vehicles cost $600. More for used vehicles. Their website is www.cilajet.com

To add one more thing to think about to the discussion...I had my 2011 R/T sprayed with the Krown application and if you have a new car treated within the first 3 months and then keep up the yearly treatment - Krown will warrenttee the vehicle for rust from the doors down for life. If your car rusts - they'll fix it which extends warrenttee far past what Dodge covers. Living in Ontario with our winters...this is what sold me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I myself have been using a no drip oil spray type product from Dominion Sure Seal LTD. The only thing about this along with any undercoating is to make sure it is only used on metal surfaces only. I found out the rear hatch on the journey is made of a composite material similar to fiberglass. Therefore do not undercoat the plastic bumper covers front and rear and the rear hatch. These materials could react with the solvents or oils use in rust- proofing products.