Chill Zone Warning!!!

Mopar54

Today I had a not so nice surprise.

I made a left turn and to my dismay a bunch of liquid started to slush out of the "chill zone" above the glove compartment.

It turns out that a Coke can my wife left in there exploded due to the heat in the cabin. I was parked in the sunlight and the car warmed up.

It leaked onto the floor, center console, lower glove compartment etc. It luckily cleaned up well, but was not a welcome occurance.

So, lesson to be learned;

Don't leave cans of pop in the Chill Zone unless you are planning on drinking them on a road trip.

Today I had a not so nice surprise.

I made a left turn and to my dismay a bunch of liquid started to slush out of the "chill zone" above the glove compartment.

It turns out that a Coke can my wife left in there exploded due to the heat in the cabin. I was parked in the sunlight and the car warmed up.

It leaked onto the floor, center console, lower glove compartment etc. It luckily cleaned up well, but was not a welcome occurance.

So, lesson to be learned;

Don't leave cans of pop in the Chill Zone unless you are planning on drinking them on a road trip.

Yuck!

You know, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it until your post. Thanks for the lesson. You may be the first to post about this, I know you won't be the last, lol

The thing is, my wife and I hadn't even used the chill zone. In my model it only keeps the cans cold if you have the A.C. running. It won't really chill a can from room temp.

My wife put the cans in there a week after we bought a car because it was neat to have 2 cans in there for display when showing off the car to family and friends. So I totally forgot the cans were in there.

Yesterday it was about 90 degrees, car parked in the sun and, well the rest is history.

No big stains or, the YES ESSENTIALS seats did their job and the few drips that did get on the seats beaded right up and wiped right off.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in as one of the Journey owners who have experienced this firsthand. Actually, my husband and son were riding in the car a few weeks ago when they heard a very loud "explosion" and thought someone had shot a gun at them, lol.

I had accidentally left a can of cola in the chill zone box and it had gotten hot and exploded. The top blew right off of the can. It wasn't too bad of a mess to clean up but it was definitely a surprise. I'm glad I wasn't sitting in the front passenger seat as my son was when it happened. He's a lot younger than me and I might have had a heart attack!

I picked up a small touch up paint for the car today due to the several small chips ( extremely thin paint it appears) in the front edge of the hood and the parts person was very firm in telling me not to leave it in the car at all. I guess they have the same problem with the small paint kits as the cans in the Chill Zone.

The Stewie

• 2 months later...
Count me in as one of the Journey owners who have experienced this firsthand. Actually, my husband and son were riding in the car a few weeks ago when they heard a very loud "explosion" and thought someone had shot a gun at them, lol.

Wow you aren't kidding! This didn't happen in my Dodge Journey, Thank God. I was driving a Ford Ranger. I had a six pack of soda behind the seat. Left it there during the winter time. The next day I had the heat on and things got warmed up. I thought someone was shooting at me or in the near vicinity. I almost yank the steering wheel and put myself in the ditch. Pulled into a parking lot when I realized frozen soda was hit me in the back of the head with one of the explsoions. Unfortunately it didn't clean up as easy as the Dodges do.

• 11 months later...

I placed two 16 oz bottles of soda in my chill zone yesterday and I can not get the box to open! I'm afraid the bottles are going to get overheated now. I am 35 miles away from the nearest Dodge dealer and can not take off work just to have someone open a lid for me. Has this happened to anyone else and if so were you able to open it?

I placed two 16 oz bottles of soda in my chill zone yesterday and I can not get the box to open! I'm afraid the bottles are going to get overheated now. I am 35 miles away from the nearest Dodge dealer and can not take off work just to have someone open a lid for me. Has this happened to anyone else and if so were you able to open it?

Well, the chill zone is for cans, but my guess is the bottles may have expanded a bit. Try turning the AC on high for awhile, the GENTLY push the door itself down to take the pressure off the latch. Then press the latch, you might get lucky. This happened on my Journey as well (my wife didn't realize that it was only for cans, only had 1 bottle in there) and that worked for me. Just be careful! Good luck!

Nope, my wife did the same thing. The bottles are mearley to big and interfere with the latch. Give it a few good firm pushes, it should open eventually.

Nope, my wife did the same thing. The bottles are mearley to big and interfere with the latch. Give it a few good firm pushes, it should open eventually.

Thanks for the replies! My husband and I have both tried several times to no avail, but I guess all we can do is hope one day it pops open!

Do you think the dealer would be able to fix it? I feel so stupid not being able to open this and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks for the replies! My husband and I have both tried several times to no avail, but I guess all we can do is hope one day it pops open!

Do you think the dealer would be able to fix it? I feel so stupid not being able to open this and it's driving me crazy!

I finally was able to open the lid! I removed the square latch (It pops right out with a knife) and spring and I could see the bottle laying in there, so I tried to move it up but instead punctured a hole in it. Well you can imagine what happened next! However, it emptied enough weight to allow the latch to raise and voila, it opened. I cleaned up the mess, put the latch back on and now I will not be using this thing for anything but cans if that. ;)

The latch raises up to unlock the box, so make sure whatever you put in here does not sit on that latch. Thanks for all the help.

I finally was able to open the lid! I removed the square latch (It pops right out with a knife) and spring and I could see the bottle laying in there, so I tried to move it up but instead punctured a hole in it. Well you can imagine what happened next! However, it emptied enough weight to allow the latch to raise and voila, it opened. I cleaned up the mess, put the latch back on and now I will not be using this thing for anything but cans if that. ;)

The latch raises up to unlock the box, so make sure whatever you put in here does not sit on that latch. Thanks for all the help.

If you want to use bottles, the rubber/plasic insert that holds the cans is rmoveable. If you take it out, you can put a bottle in there. It will roll around alittle, but it can be done.

If you want to use bottles, the rubber/plasic insert that holds the cans is rmoveable. If you take it out, you can put a bottle in there. It will roll around alittle, but it can be done.

I did remove the inner plastic in order to fit the bottles in and unfortunately they will land on top of the latch and you won't be able to open the lid. So I would suggest not putting anything but cans in it so they don't move! ^_^