Vibration at 80km/h???? (2011 Journey SXT)

Hello All,

I'm still very new to this site so please excuse me if i have started a new thread in the wrong section.

Anyhow, I am the proud owner of a 2011 Dodge Journey SXT with the 3.6L Pentastar engine, which my lovely wife drives 95% of the time.......I've noticed yesterday while driving on the highway that once the vehicle hits 80km/h that a vibration or almost a sound like the wheels is rubbing against something occurs. It is not a loud sound but you definitely know there is something not right and is quite embarrising when you have someone other than your family member in the vehicle. I also noticed that it occurs when steering left, even with the slightest movement to that direction, but no vibration when steering right. It's the 80 km/h to 90 km/h that seems to be at the worst of this issue and higher or lower speeds doesn't seem to be an issue at all.....weird. :confused: At first I thought it may be the wheels out of balance but the wife says that the same occurs when the all season tires are on too so the possibilityof both tires out of balance are highly unlikey. I've read the threads in this section of Journey's in the past that had issues with air in the power steering fluid and was vibrating when turning left.....I hope this is the problem so I can have this issue put to rest asap but my gut feeling says that I will have to deal with a crappy service department that will say they have no clue why this is happening. I also read that there is a recall for steering wheel issues with the 2011's that I haven't contacted my dealer yet, maybe that might be the cure or is that wishful thinking.

Now, what I would like to know is if there are any 2011 owners that have experienced this issue also or am I doomed to hear the famous phrase from the service department "i've never heard of this problem before." :( :( :(

Thank you in advance to anyone who replys with any insight to this thread and Iove this site. :)

Edited by Journey_SeXT

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have very similar problem. My driving wheel shakes only between 80-100 km/h for some reason. Recently I noticed different problem with steering. When accelarating or turning on very slow speed, I feel small shocks in the driving wheel. It is pretty hard to explain it as I am not a native speaker, but it feels like, that something inside the driving wheel is not tightened enough and there is a little space for these shocks. Does it make sense?

I complained about it in the dealership. They had a quick check and told me, that I have to come again and leave the car for the whole day there, because they need to do further inspection of it. The day is tomorrow, so I wonder what they'll tell me.

There isn't a huge amount of clearance between the wheels and the brake calipers - if your 'lovely wife' managed to hit a curb, the wheel could be out of true enough that it is touching the brakes . . . and, the speed in question has the wheels turning at the resonant frequency for the suspension, so any imbalances are magnified.

The noise would also simply be some crud built up on the inner surface of the wheel, tapping the calipers with each revolution.

You could also have a bearing starting to go, or a CV joint.

To know for certtain, take the vehicle to a trusted suspension mechanic, describe your problem and let him have a look.

have 15k on my 2011 with 17 inch kumo tires and dont have no problems. do you have 19 inch? sounds like most prople with the larger tires have alot of trouble with them. my son has a gmc truck with large tires 20inch i think has had all sorts of problems with them <goodyears> dealer never could get them balanced right he finnally went to walmart of all places and they got them balanced okay till they wore out early. he replaced them with michalins for a cost of about 1100. <U.S.> from cosco so far he likes them.

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't a huge amount of clearance between the wheels and the brake calipers - if your 'lovely wife' managed to hit a curb, the wheel could be out of true enough that it is touching the brakes . . . and, the speed in question has the wheels turning at the resonant frequency for the suspension, so any imbalances are magnified.

The noise would also simply be some crud built up on the inner surface of the wheel, tapping the calipers with each revolution.

You could also have a bearing starting to go, or a CV joint.

To know for certtain, take the vehicle to a trusted suspension mechanic, describe your problem and let him have a look.

Very good reply...I will have it checked out and post any results.

Thanks!

have 15k on my 2011 with 17 inch kumo tires and dont have no problems. do you have 19 inch? sounds like most prople with the larger tires have alot of trouble with them. my son has a gmc truck with large tires 20inch i think has had all sorts of problems with them <goodyears> dealer never could get them balanced right he finnally went to walmart of all places and they got them balanced okay till they wore out early. he replaced them with michalins for a cost of about 1100. <U.S.> from cosco so far he likes them.

I have 17" Kumo's.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the update after the repairs......Bramfrank was correct that the lovely wife hit the curb and the wheel bearing was shot! My son confessed of her curb incident last winter with the original all season tires. The bearings have been replaced and all is good again.....so happy that it is running like brand new again! :headspin: Thank you to all who posted their comments to this thread. :) :) :)

Edited by Journey_SeXT

• 1 year later...
Hello,

I have very similar problem. My driving wheel shakes only between 80-100 km/h for some reason. Recently I noticed different problem with steering. When accelarating or turning on very slow speed, I feel small shocks in the driving wheel. It is pretty hard to explain it as I am not a native speaker, but it feels like, that something inside the driving wheel is not tightened enough and there is a little space for these shocks. Does it make sense?

I complained about it in the dealership. They had a quick check and told me, that I have to come again and leave the car for the whole day there, because they need to do further inspection of it. The day is tomorrow, so I wonder what they'll tell me.

Hello,
I have a Dodge Journey SXT 2011/2012 and am facing the same problems, my driving wheel shakes only between 100-120 km/h. I've also noticed this small shocks in the driving wheel.
You got any news on the dealer?
I've been in the dealer several times and they always blame the warped rotors. But even after have the rotors resurfaced, the shaking still came back.
I bought a whole new set of EBC rotors and pads (yellowstuff) to try to solve the problem once and for all. But I am afraid that the problem is not the rotors ...
If you have any news, please let me know.
Thank you,
Edited by at.schmidt

• 4 weeks later...

I don´t believe that the rotors cause your vibration. If the rotors are wraped, you will feel the vibrations only when you hit the brakes. First i would check the tires, if they are correct balanced (vibrations at 100-120 km/h is typical for that). If this doen´t help, check bearings and then driveshafts.

Rotors only cause vibration when the brakes are engaged. If they are warped and if your calipers are sticking it *might* cause vibrations all the time . . . . but not only when driving at 100 kph.

The issue when turning, and based on the way you describe the problem could well be the CV joints (the universal joints that deliver power to the steered wheels).

Let us know how it turns out..

• 1 month later...
Hello,

steond,

The condition you are describing sounds like bad tie rod ends. I have a 2009 Journey with 60000 miles and have already replaced three of the four, and it feels like the fourth one is starting to go now. The feeling that something is not tight in the steering is correct. As these wear they allow left-to-right free play in the steering, so even small bumps can cause the "shocks" that you describe, Worn tie rod ends can also cause the steering wheel to vibrate. Even the slightest out-of-balance wheel condition, which you might not even notice if you had tight steering, will be magnifed to a very noticeable vibration because of the play that the worn tie rod ends allow. If not addressed, this will gradually get worse and could eventually lead to complete failure and possible accdent.

• 5 months later...

Updating: My car (Journey 2011/2012 SXT) had the brake assembly (Rotors / Pads) replaced with

20,000 miles. I bought a set of EBC Rotors and pads (Yellowstuff).
I drove about 7,000 miles and the rear rotors get warped, and shake the wheel is back (only between 100-120 km / h).
Despite the car being under warranty, I got tired of the dealer, then I took the car to a repair shop specializing in brakes.
The rear rotors were resurfaced, the front rotors are ok.
Now I'm taking the car to the repair shop specializing in suspension to try to figure out the problem once and for all.
Edited by at.schmidt