Bumpers not matching body

chanah

How many owners feel that the color of the bumpers, especially in a non sunny environment, do not match the body very well.

Got my car today and it looks great. My wife, being an artist would notice immediately if the colors didn't match. She is very pleased with the car

• 3 months later...

Yup I notice it on my DW blue. Even in direct sunlight you can notice it if you look at the car from an angle with the sun shining over your shoulder. My cali had that as well. It probably has to do with the paint being on a plastic bumper versus metal body panels.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Our Inferno Red has slightly darker bumpers. This is really only noticable on the suniest of days and you really have to be looking for it. BAC is right though, plastic vs. metal, the paint is going to look slightly different with most colours.

• 5 months later...
Yup!

My Journey is white and I notice it especially between the rear bumper and the body color. It seems that the bumbper is discoloring over time and becomming more yellow.... If it gets much worse I tell the dealer.

I do not ahve that problem yet. I got the metallic black color and have not noticed any dulling of the color...it also matches verywell, the rest of the car.

Oh, and painting on a metal surface or plastic surface does not change the color or brightness of the paint. All surfaces get primered prior to painting for the paint to properly stick to the car...thus, in one sense, the paint is being applied to the same surface....dried primer.

Now what does change colors slightly are age, weathering, differnt batches used to paint one car, amount of clear or amount of paint used between cars is differenet (weather computer or human error).

But all in all, the paint should all be the same color!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The actaul trunk is metal, the bumper below it is plastic

No, you need to go and have a closer look at yours and take a magnet with you, it's plastic or "composite" as Dodge call it

Google "dodge journey composite gate", it's even on the Journey's wikipedia page.

also the hood is aluminum so you can try the magnet there as well.

• 4 months later...

I have this problem. My journey has a brilliant brite white body but the paint on the pastic has darkened.

Would be nice to know if this happens natrually or if there is a fix?

Darkening of the paint can be an issue with the Primer underneath. Seen this on a number of lighter color

vehicles and white seems to be a big offender of this. Not sure if a dealer would repaint a used car or not.

I think they might with a new car purchased through their dealership.

Darkening of the paint can be an issue with the Primer underneath. Seen this on a number of lighter color

vehicles and white seems to be a big offender of this. Not sure if a dealer would repaint a used car or not.

I think they might with a new car purchased through their dealership.

Hmm,

I will have to look into this. I mean its not that noticable but to me it is and i hate the difference in color. Ill have to see if the dealership i bought it from will warranty it. I paid a lot for the car so i might be able to get them to do it haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm,

I will have to look into this. I mean its not that noticable but to me it is and i hate the difference in color. Ill have to see if the dealership i bought it from will warranty it. I paid a lot for the car so i might be able to get them to do it haha.

So i decided to take it upon myself to harass dodge/chrysler about this issue. I am bringing it to a really good paint place to have their guys see what the cause for the paint fade could be and how much to fix it.

I called 4 Dodge dealerships and spoke to a "Chrysler Rep" that was at one of them and he told me that there was almost nothing they could do. Thanks for the shitty service, love the car but they are making it pretty hard to.

So much for spending the 2 grand for the premium warranty ect... i dont feel like part of the Chrysler family at all. I guess its time to spend more money to fix Chryslers problems.

Ill keep you guys posted!

I don't notice much difference on my dark gray Journey. My brother has a gray Nissan Altima and he got his plastic bumper dented fairly bad. He took it to a paint shop, not his dealer, and they got the dents out but they had a hell of a time painting it. His car was in the shop four days just getting the paint job done. They said they had problems getting the paint to stick to the plastic for some reason. I hope this is not typical of those plastic bumpers.

I don't notice much difference on my dark gray Journey. My brother has a gray Nissan Altima and he got his plastic bumper dented fairly bad. He took it to a paint shop, not his dealer, and they got the dents out but they had a hell of a time painting it. His car was in the shop four days just getting the paint job done. They said they had problems getting the paint to stick to the plastic for some reason. I hope this is not typical of those plastic bumpers.

Well there are different chemicals used in painting over plastic. It is said that sometimes the combination of the extra chemicals can give the finish sort of a yellow hue which is what i have. My paint guy did advise though that it looked like they could have done a better job matching everything so i am going to see if Dodge will encourage some of the cost to have it redone.

If you bought your journey used dont count on any support from Chrysler if you have this issue. You are pretty much on your own.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...