? for owners

tirnaog

Hello all,

We are looking into getting a 2012 version, probably crew, was wondering if anyone tried to put two chaild seats next to each other?

Do they fit?

Thanks

Deasun

The Journey utilizes the LATCH system for car seats (reference your owner's manual) which works quite well. You won't be able to get 3 seats in the 2nd row. Two seats are doable. I wouldn't put a child seat in the 3rd row as it's not designed for it (the LATCH is only 2nd row); it's not as safe as the 3rd row and it would be difficult getting a child in and out of car seat in the 3rd row. You can use non-latch car seats that utilize the seat belt. I have an older car seat in my Ram (which also has the LATCH system) and I can use the seat belt with no problem.

• 1 month later...

Can you put one seat in the center of the second row? That's supposed to be the safest position for a passenger.

In my Sion xA and my wife's Corolla, we have the child seat in the center, using one latch hook each from one of the outside sets. There is a top anchor for the center position. Can I do this in the 2012 Journey? That's a deciding factor.

Can you put one seat in the center of the second row? That's supposed to be the safest position for a passenger.

In my Sion xA and my wife's Corolla, we have the child seat in the center, using one latch hook each from one of the outside sets. There is a top anchor for the center position. Can I do this in the 2012 Journey? That's a deciding factor.

If you want to put the carseat in the perfect center position in the Journey, you will have to use the center seatbelt and the tether. If you want to use the latches it will be somewhat off-center, like in a 3/5ths position.

Also make sure your xA and Corolla have "shared" latches. That is, there is one bar that connects all 4 latches. Most small cars do not have this; they have one bar for each pair/side. The center position is not safe to use this way if so, and you should use the seatbelt. See first post, second paragraph as well as posts 7 & 8:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33718

Edited by tstone

Thanks for that info. Yes, I definitely want to use the latches.

I got to my dealer today and looked at how the seats were laid out. Pretty smart design. Even if the seat isn't in the EXACT center, it's in enough for my wife to feel a bit more confident about it. Plus, it allows another person to sit on the left side as it doesn't straddle into the "40" side of the seat.

When we put the carseat in the Jeep Patriot, I couldn't sit on either side very comfortably. I think this design is MUCH better!

• 4 weeks later...