Rear door jammed open!!

PAULINESUSANNE

I bought my dodge journey R/T CRD last August. I love it but in November the spring fell out of the rear driver side door and the latch popped out of place jamming the door open. After it was fixed, within 1 week it happened again and i was advised by my mechanic that it would continue to happen cos the hinge is poorly designed.

This is a real inconvenience, the first time it happened was at home luckily, although it was pouring with rain, soaking my interior. The second time was at school!! How embarrassing! The dodge dealership was unhelpful to say the least!!!

Has anyone had the same issue???

I bought my dodge journey R/T CRD last August. I love it but in November the spring fell out of the rear driver side door and the latch popped out of place jamming the door open. After it was fixed, within 1 week it happened again and i was advised by my mechanic that it would continue to happen cos the hinge is poorly designed.

This is a real inconvenience, the first time it happened was at home luckily, although it was pouring with rain, soaking my interior. The second time was at school!! How embarrassing! The dodge dealership was unhelpful to say the least!!!

Has anyone had the same issue???

take back to a different dealer since it is still should be under warrenty . that idiot doesnt know how to fix it the right way.

take back to a different dealer since it is still should be under warrenty . that idiot doesnt know how to fix it the right way.

It was a local mechanic. The dealership told me i wasnt covered as wind blew the door open the first time. IMO he is wrong, the door only blew open, not right back and the spring popped out and its lever followed, leaving the door jammed open. Kids fling doors open a lot, it shouldnt mean that the car door gets damaged each time. Its never happened to any previous make cars. I LOVE my Dodge tho, so i will have to figure somethin out! There is only 1 dodge dealership in Northern Ireland unfortunately.

Is this what you are referring to with regards to spring?

It's purpose is to hold open at set detents in the arm.

yep, thats the one, the spring bounced out and the leg/lever jobby went out to the other side of the wee wheel, making it impossible to shut the door. Is this a common issue?? or is it just mine? And do you think it is covered by the warranty?

I have only been on here for abt 2 months and don't recall seeing any posts

regarding this issue.

If your still in warranty and haven't been the cause of the problem I would

suspect a defective hinge assy should be covered,possibly the spring itself

is replaceable.

It was a local mechanic. The dealership told me i wasnt covered as wind blew the door open the first time. IMO he is wrong, the door only blew open, not right back and the spring popped out and its lever followed, leaving the door jammed open. Kids fling doors open a lot, it shouldnt mean that the car door gets damaged each time. Its never happened to any previous make cars. I LOVE my Dodge tho, so i will have to figure somethin out! There is only 1 dodge dealership in Northern Ireland unfortunately.

take it back to the dealership 1 more time and if they still refuse ot fix it, look in the back of your info book that came with the car and if you cant find that ask your dealer to provide you with a phone # of who is in charge of warrenty problems. call them and explain that yes the wind caught the door and blew it open but that still shouldnt have broke the hinge unless their was possibley a defective hinge. tell them at least go halfs on the repaire so that you would remain a happy dodge owner and not a unhappy owner. remenber to be nice and hopefully they will help you out.. this has worked for me years ago when a transmission went out about 2 k after the warrenty ran out . the dealer refused to call so i did and they decided to fix it for free instead of splitting the cost to keep a happy owner as they said it was so close to the warrenty being out. good luck