Plastic Chrome Wheels?

So I'm out washing and waxing my new black AWD R/T, and while cleaning the rims, it seems to me like these high end rims are made out of some type of cheapo plastic material. I mean, it seems like the cheap plastic covers you can buy at any Walmart. Maybe I need to take another look but anyone else notice? Also, while washing, it seems like the entire rear bumper is really flimsy plastic as well, as it easily bent inward as I used my sponge to wash it.

Minor quibbles, but quibbles nonetheless.

Xphyle

So I'm out washing and waxing my new black AWD R/T, and while cleaning the rims, it seems to me like these high end rims are made out of some type of cheapo plastic material. I mean, it seems like the cheap plastic covers you can buy at any Walmart. Maybe I need to take another look but anyone else notice? Also, while washing, it seems like the entire rear bumper is really flimsy plastic as well, as it easily bent inward as I used my sponge to wash it.

Minor quibbles, but quibbles nonetheless.

Xphyle

They are chrome clad wheels that are put directly over the alum. rims. Plastic covers cladded in chrome... yeah pretty cheap for being a 600+ upgrade from the alum rims. But they still look good;) I just got my journey a couple days ago, I havent washed it yet, but as long as the bumper pops back then I wouldnt have a problem, might even mean less damage in small fender benders (if the bumper is that flexible)

They are "chrome clad aluminum wheels. They are not Chrome plated aluminum wheels. I did know this this when we ordered our Journey and I was ok with it.

This was brought up before about the wheels being cheap, but it is stated that they are "Chrome Clad" I guess they should be in the option list as Chrome Plastic Covered Aluminum Wheels.

Rob

• 10 months later...

I noticed this too! I heard about it a couple of months before my R/T arrived and thought maybe it was for the early versions and mine would come in with real chrome wheels... NOT! I Think it was kind of sleezy to hide this by calling them "chrome clad" when ordering, this leaves the door pretty wide open for what they could put on.

The service manager at my dealer told me that Chrysler did this because they were experiencing a lot of complaints about corrosion of the chrome wheels from winter exposure to road salt, water, and ice. They are also replaceable incase of damage, etc. Hmmmmm. They still look really nice. No one other than us will know ;)

I'm afraid to clean them to aggressively. Don't know how I'm going to address getting off baked on brake dust. The owners manual mentions using a MOPAR cleaner. We'll see.

Anyone see any pictures of what the wheels look like without the plastic covers on them?

I have a Dakota on lease that is going back very soon as soon as my AWD R/T comes in from the factory. It too has the chrome clad wheels that are a complete rip off as far as I am concerned. There is no way they can justify $600 for a plastic hub cap. It did make it easier when deciding what options I wanted on the R/T. There is no way I will ever order the chrome clad wheels.

They do look good and I have not had any problems with them for 2 years but for $600 over the regular rims, I expect real chrome rims, not a cheap imitation.

I did some googling and if I have understood it correctly chrome clad wheels can be made of either plastic or stainless steel. Right?

And the chrome clad wheels are more durable than ordinary chrome. And that they more durable.

And ordinary chrome wheels are not as environmental friendly.

So when why would I want ordinary chrome wheels?

How do I know if I have the 19" Aluminum wheels or the 19" Chrome clad wheels?

And what are the Aluminum wheels coating made of?

(I have an R/T but I don't know what type the rims are).

/Andreas