New 3.6L Mods?

Has anyone learned anything about the new mopar mods that adorn the 300HP 2011 avenger rally car? Below are some of the specs of the rally car.

Dodge Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6 engine

Mopar tower-to-tower cross-car brace

Mopar cold-air intake

Mopar Cat-Back Exhaust w/Magneti Marelli tips

Mopar/Magneti Marelli high-performance ECU with TC, DBW, V V T

So far, mopar has been developing a widely available CAI for the 3.6L pentastar in some vehicles, but has left the Journey off their list of compatibility. Not sure if that is due to engine compartment space or actual compatibility (sensors, ECU, etc) I am cautiously interested in the CAI due to water concerns, but the ECU and exhaust mods sound great. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has seen anything. . .

Peace.

I wish they had posted underhood pictures to see the CAI and the strut tower brace. The brace would be interesting given the location of the strut towers unless it's 3 point ,the mosr benefiial, that ties into the firewall. As for a CAI I modified/adapted a 2010 Avenger 3.5 K&N CAI (K&N P/N 69-2543TTK) to my 2011 Journey. It's a hybrid using stock and K&N parts. I'm thinking of extending the height of the airdam and make a top for it. I would attach pictures but the file size is to large. If Mopar comes out with one for the Avenger then it should be adaptible to the Journey. The ECU/PCM would be really interesting also. I had Mopar Performance ECMs on my '94 and '97 Dakotas (both 5.2) and '99 Ram 1500 (5.9). The remap is night and day when compared to stock. As for the exhaust I wonder how loud it would be just running dual mufflers (say using Magnaflows). This is the first vehicle I've owned where the resonator and muffler is one piece.

All 2011 Avenger have a strut brace. Many owners of the 2008-2010 models are buying these since they improve handling a lot. The unit costs only $30 at the max and is made from steel. This does not fit on the Journey and is connected with two bolts and not to the firewall. The unit of the Caliber connects to the firewall.

The Avenger strutbrace:

50c126a2.jpg

This is the best performance / steering mod you can do on the Avenger.

Cold airtake for the 3.6 Avenger pentastar is available, item no. 77070048 at a cost of $329

The catback for the Avenger is item no.: BK P5156013 at a cost of $1350

Thank you again Germax for having the information. I've never looked under the hood of an Avenger beyond pictures. Your right about the strut tower brace being one of the most beneficial handling add ons you could do to any car (I have both the strut tower brace and lower steering brace on my '83 Z28). It would have been better if it were attached to the firewall (provided there's a reinforced place to attach).

The Avenger's Mopar CAI is maufactured by AEM according to the CARB letter http://arb.ca.gov/ms...eo/D-265-32.pdf . But deviating from factory tuning hasn't been approved according to this letter when used in conjuction with the CAI. And the price you listed is comparable to the list price for the K&N 2010 Avenger CAI (I found mine on Amazon for $234 US). You wouldn't happen to have a link that has pictures of this CAI and/or the catback?

I have a question about the underhood seal in front of the air intake. Would you think it's to keep water (weather) out of the snorkel or for sound abatement (or both)?

Below are links to photos of the Avenger CAI installed in my Journey.

My link

My link

Edited by coolram62

Like your setup, had not seen it before on the 3.6.

Main advantage is to have less radiation heat going into the engine.

Thank you Germax for the compliment. It took a bit of trimming and grinding on the K&N airbox for it to fit properly. I plan on extending the airbox height to bring it closer to the hood and possibly making a lid for it to keep more underhood heat out. I reused the stock snorkel by trimming the air muffler off the side next to the washer bottle then sealing the hole. You most probably noticed the rear half of the tubing is factory. It's actually a bit larger than the K&N tubing. And the 3.5 tubing is obviously to short to reach the TB. I can see why the RWD Pentastar equipped vehicles are rated slightly higher HP wise as their air inlet is much less restrictive and shorter from the factory.

Edited by coolram62

• 1 month later...

Cold airtake for the 3.6 Avenger pentastar is available, item no. 77070048 at a cost of $329

The catback for the Avenger is item no.: BK P5156013 at a cost of $1350

Do you know if the catback for the Avenger will fit on the Journey? if not, do you know of any that are being made? I'm looking for a more aggressive sound and of course any extra performance I can get. Thanks!

A number of owners of the Caliber had strut braces installed

and there are 2-3 different availaible one of those is adjustable

in length.

I would suggest visiting Caliber/Caliber SRT4 websites for info,

one source that comes to mind is Modern Performance Products.

Traded my Caliber in on the DJ.

Thank you again Germax for having the information. I've never looked under the hood of an Avenger beyond pictures. Your right about the strut tower brace being one of the most beneficial handling add ons you could do to any car (I have both the strut tower brace and lower steering brace on my '83 Z28). It would have been better if it were attached to the firewall (provided there's a reinforced place to attach).

The Avenger's Mopar CAI is maufactured by AEM according to the CARB letter http://arb.ca.gov/ms...eo/D-265-32.pdf . But deviating from factory tuning hasn't been approved according to this letter when used in conjuction with the CAI. And the price you listed is comparable to the list price for the K&N 2010 Avenger CAI (I found mine on Amazon for $234 US). You wouldn't happen to have a link that has pictures of this CAI and/or the catback?

I have a question about the underhood seal in front of the air intake. Would you think it's to keep water (weather) out of the snorkel or for sound abatement (or both)?

Below are links to photos of the Avenger CAI installed in my Journey.

My link

My link

coolram...

is this the intake for the 3.5? this is the only engine supported according to K&N's website.

thanks

B1pig that is the K&N 69 series for the 3.5 in the Avenger. It takes a bit of work to the K&N airbox for it to fit and for the snorkel to fit it. Also I had to use the back half of the factory air tube as the 3.6's TB is located much further back than the 3.5. I also plan on extending the sides of the airbox up to move the seal closer to the hood. For someone with a 3.5 Journey I believe it would be almost a direct fit