bunch of issues

ChrisMaki

Hey everyone. first post. We own a 09 SXT AWD journey. When we turn to the right from a stop the back of the car seems to jerk and pull. if i let off the gas it goes away. i'm assuming this is the AWD trying to turn the rear wheels and they are jumping. but when it is doing this it makes some louder noises and for a while seemed to be quiter than they are now.

2nd problem. last night my wife drove it home from work and said it smelt like burning plastic inside. also said the wheel was shaking and it was making lots of noise. i took it for drive this morning and before the car started it smelt like a propane leak inside. shortly after i started it up i couldn't smell it. went for a short drive and i noticed a slight whining sound. the pitch would increase as i went faster but it never got louder. sounded like a bearing was going out. i shifted to N at about 45mph and the sound continued so its not throttle related. got home and checked for oil leaks and didn't see anything. underside of the car is clean. Any Thoughts, Ideas, Or suggestions? car is about 5K miles outside of warrenty. gonna call on monday and see if they will still take it.

ok updates. we were driving to a friends party this morning and turned a corner and heard a loud bang. like metal breaking. then it would make a banging sound while driving. wouldn't do it while rolling in Neutral but still made the whining sounds. Sometimes would bang louder than others but there was no pattern to it. i drove it slowly to the dealership and hope they will cover a MAJOR problem like this being 6000 miles over warrenty.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... so after them having my car for a full 5 days now the new transfer case is in. however that wasn't the problem. There is still a clunking going on when turning sharp left or right Dealer said might be something broken in the rear diff. they still have my car. said the part might be here on tuesday. FML!!!! but they are covering the repairs under the same transfer case repair.

The Vicous coupling is was took a shit. This took out the transfer case. The whole problem was caused by 2 different tire sizes. The last owners put 2 tires on before they traded it in. Dealership didn't check this and now i have to pay 400 of a 1200$ bill and put new tires on within 100 miles or they won't warrenty anything they just did. so on top for the 400 i'm gonna pay 600 more for tires because the dealership fucked up.

For the information of everyone it is the Sheboygan Chrysler Center located in Sheboygan Wisconsin. stay away from them.

Wow. I would have never really thought that different size tires would cause that to happen! What were the different sizes that were installed?

they were all the same size but the front 2 were new and the rear were almost bald. think the mechanic said 10/32 " difference. this causes the coupling in the rear end to lock up all the time becasue it is trying to compensate all the time,

So all that caused it was a difference in tread?! I hope he was just making something up because that is a pretty big issue.

i talked with the service manager today. he said they had a huge staff meeting about AWD and tire tread life. said it was a learning experience and that they won't make this type of mistake again.

• 1 month later...

i talked with the service manager today. he said they had a huge staff meeting about AWD and tire tread life. said it was a learning experience and that they won't make this type of mistake again.

OMG so they messed up and expected you to pay for the problem they caused? I would not be taking that lightly. I really think the service you get depends on the dealership and that Chrysler the company should really take our complaints about the individual dealerships that are doing a half arsed job seriously and offer some sort of compensation for the inconveinance caused. Especially when the vehicle is still under manufacturers warranty. We build houses and if a product we installed in a home fails due to defect in workmanship or product, we have to repair or replace at no cost to the owner. I hate when I see a passing of the buck for responsibility. I would investigate this issue further because their story does not sound convincing to me.

OMG so they messed up and expected you to pay for the problem they caused? I would not be taking that lightly. I really think the service you get depends on the dealership and that Chrysler the company should really take our complaints about the individual dealerships that are doing a half arsed job seriously and offer some sort of compensation for the inconveinance caused. Especially when the vehicle is still under manufacturers warranty. We build houses and if a product we installed in a home fails due to defect in workmanship or product, we have to repair or replace at no cost to the owner. I hate when I see a passing of the buck for responsibility. I would investigate this issue further because their story does not sound convincing to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Any owners throwing a Engine Code "Camshaft Slow to Respond???" Have 2010 Journey SE, first time this happened, I replaced the camshaft sensor. That worked for about a week. Same problem again. When driving, if you accelerate heavily, car revs to 4000-4500 RPMs and does not move.

FYI, 74k miles, both front wheel bearings shot and not under warranty. Rear driver side door clunks and clanks. I have had a circuit board for the remote start replaced three times as vehicle won't remote start or I get completety locked out as in ignition will not turn over. Bad key fob from day one which will cost ME $250????

Needless to say, this is probably the last Chrysler product I will ever buy. Sad to say even though my father retired from Chrysler and my father in law is still employed with Chrysler. I have owned several Chrysler vehicles in the past for longer periods of time with more miles put on them without any of these issues. Shouldn't have all these failures for a 2.5 yr old vehicle. Now I have to figure out how much of a hit I will take just to get rid of this thing.......

• 1 month later...

In the 2012 Journey factory owners manual on page 393 it states"Caution: All wheels must have the same size and type tires. Unequal tire sizes must not be used. Unequal tire size may cause failure of the power transfer unit"

...................................Caper.............

Edited by caperinmuskoka

• 4 weeks later...

The local Chrysler dealer says the problem is the transfer case. something internal with it. they are replacing the entire unit. fortunately they are picking up 1200$ of the 1600$ bill. has anyone ever heard of this?

I just had mine replaced yesterday. It sounded like flapping on both sides of the front end. It's fixed but now it feels and sounds like a tank. The manager said it's normal for the first little bit to be like that. We'll see.