Alignment/Adjustable Upper Arms

bjpinub

Hello to all. I purchased a used 2009 Dodge Journey SXT in January 2011 with 10,101 miles and the remaining factory warranty. A few weeks ago, I installed a hitch to my vehicle. While under the vehicle, I noticed the rear wheels were worn pretty bad on the inside. I also noticed the vehicle was pulling a little to the right when I was driving. So, a couple of days ago, I took it to a Dodge dealer to have the tires rotated and balanced as well as have them perform a 4 wheel alignment. When the tech told me they were done, this is when the trouble began.

He stated the front was able to be aligned. As for the rotation and balance, they were not able to do this because the tires in the rear had wire showing. As for the rear, he stated they were able to adjust the TOE but the CAMBER was unable to be set properly. He asked if the vehicle had been in a wreck, and I told him the report given to me by the dealer didn't have any signs of being wrecked. As a result, the tech told me I would have to spend $492 for parts and labor to have adjustable upper arms installed so the alignment could be done properly. From what I have been told, alignment is only covered for 12 months from first purchase date or 12,000 miles, both of which I have exceeded.

Why would something like this need to be done? Shouldn't the factory warranty cover this? Does anyone know of any recalls on this topic? Why would adjustable upper arms need to be installed after only 15k miles, and why wouldn't something like this be installed from the factory?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. When I talked to another tech at another Dodge dealership, he suggested I call Chrysler and see what they can do for me. I just really hate to pay $500 for these arms then turn around and have to spend another $400-$600 for new tires. I mean, it seems a little stupid to have to drop this kind of money on a vehicle that is less than two years old with only 15k miles.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought a 2013 journey in on Aug 5th 2013 with 43 miles on it and since Aug 8th 2013 it has been to two different dealerships and one independent front end shop for an alignment problem and as of today it has been aligned 8 times , had the front cradle adjusted , tires and wheels replaced and it still pulls hard right and all of them say its in prefect spec and it should drive straight as an arrow but it doesn't in fact it now has 2000 miles on it and is now on its 3rd complete set of wheels and tires the last set was installed on Aug 22nd 2013 by dodge and when I took it back to a different dealer at the request of Chrysler on Sept.3rd that set was completely worn on the inside edge of the left front im really fed up I have owned it 35 days and 26 of them its been in the shop has anyone else had a similar issue

• 1 year later...

I just bought my 2010 R/T and it has had some serious rear camber issues. OEM spec is -0.60 degrees of camber in the rear (North America) and isn't adjustable. The right side upper lateral link bar (upper control arm) has been replaced, but not sure why. Anyway, it's clear that replacing that didn't solve the problem, the tires are still wearing heavily on the inside. Measured with my level and ruler and some trigonometry, I figure -2.5 degrees on the right and -1.5 on the left side. WAY TOO MUCH for a street car! I just ordered two MOOG adjustable links from @mazon for $54 each. I plan to install them and set the camber pretty close to spec, then have it aligned and let the tech know that the rear camber is now adjustable.

• 3 years later...

Sounds like I am not the only one.  I bought new a 2015 Journey Crossroad AWD.  After just over 2 years and 39,000 miles it developed a vibration when driving over 40 mph.  Took it to the dealer.  Front left tire had the inner tread worn to the cord.  The rest of the tires showed normal wear for the mileage.  The solution was 4 new tires.  I requested an alignment prior.  They did a check and everything was in spec except the front left camber was out.  They told me that they would have the tech fix it prior to putting new tires on.  The alignment report showed the before and after to compare.  The after showed the camber adjustment made and it was now within specs.  Fast forward 5 months and about 7000 miles and I notice excessive wear on the right rear tire's outer edge.  Back to the same dealer.  They checked the alignment.  Everything was within spec except the front left camber is out again.  This time they tell me that there are no camber adjustments and that there is nothing they can do for the wear on the rear tire.  I asked how were they able to adjust the camber 5 months ago yet today they cannot?  No answer except that it cannot be done without changing parts.  I asked why is there wear on the right rear if everything is fine and there was no uneven wear with the prior set of tires?  No explanation; maybe how we drive it and the road conditions.  We drive the same on the same roads for the past 27 years and no other vehicle had these issues.  I asked them to research to find out what is the problem.  It has been 1 week and I got a call back with the same story and no resolution.  Reading the above posts, there obviously is a design flaw that they do not want to take responsibility for. 

my 2014 crossroad at about 60 k also had alignment problems due to the rear tires wearing on the inside of the tires, my tires were about wore out so i got the dealership to do a 4 wheel alignment ($95) and then started looking for new tires few months later bought me a set of tires and then i seen Quick lane stores offering lifetime alignments for 4 wheel alignment for $175. so went there and they checked and said everything looks great and so now i take my journey in every few months for a check just to be sure there is no problem before ruining any more tires.....have 78 k on it now with no more problems.....