Radio Sound Problem

• 3 weeks later...
Guest luv2drive

I have this problem too and finally had time today to bring it in to get this fixed. So, disappointing story. I called in yesterday and explained the problem to the salesman who sold me my journey. Oh he says yeah that's a common problem, I'll transfer you over to Service Dep. Service picks up and I explain the problem, he says yup bring it in tomorrow morning. So, I think great, even the salesman knows about this problem, they must have the fix down to a fine science, great! So I don't bother bringing the TSB from "Dodgecares" who helps us journey owners out on these forums.

So I bring it in the next morning, explain the problem to the Service rep at the counter. Oh yeah she says, that happens alot, leave it with me and have a seat in the waiting room. So 1 hour and 20 mins later she comes out and says Oh sorry, we don't have the software update to fix it, in fact we only have the updates for the 2010 models.

I cant believe what I'm hearing, I can't believe the incompetence! So it's a common problem but this dealership has never fixed any 2011 or 2012 models with this problem? You morons just wasted 2 hours of my time?Something isn't right here, and I am not happy....but I keep my cool.

Another thing though, I ask her for the build date of my journey because I remember on the TSB from Dodgecares it mentions the build date specifics the TSB applies to "Journeys vehicles built prior to **October 4, 2011" and she tells me my journey build date is October 4th, 2011, so does that mean the TSB from Dodgecares isn't the right one for me?

Am calling Dodge customer help line in the morning.

TSB

NUMBER: 08-048-11 REV. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: December 20, 2011

SUBJECT:

RHA And REB Radio Software Enhancements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHA or REB Radio.

MODELS:

2011-2012 (JC) Journey

**2011-2012 (LD) Charger**

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built prior to **October 4, 2011 (MDH

1004XX) and LD vehicles built prior to July 25, 2011** equipped with

UCONNECT TOUCH 4.3 CD/MP3 (sales code RHA) or UCONNECT TOUCH

4.3S CD/MP3/SAT (sales code REB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

· **When the ignition is first turned on, the audio volume is very high.**

· **CD audio glitch and/or audio drop out for 0.2 seconds.**

· No display and no audio on radio.

· The driver's heated seat soft key is grayed out on the radio display.

· CD skips repeatedly while playing.

· CD jumps tracks after cranking the engine, turning the radio off and then on, and/or

after depressing the stop and then play soft key.

· In USB playback mode a blank screen, or the last displayed screen, is displayed

when the ABC soft key is pressed.

· An iPod Nano connected in USB mode may fail to play and/or the Pause and Play

keys are reversed on the radio display.

· Multiple instances of the same Sirius Game Zone entry may be displayed.

· Intermittently, the back-up chime sounds continuously once vehicle is put into

forward gear, instead of shutting off.

DIAGNOSIS:

If a customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN list, perform the repair. For all other

customers that describe the symptom/condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

**AR (1) 68147629AB REB Update Disc (version 11.41.6) for JC**

**AR (1) 68147630AB RHA Update Disc (version 11.41.6) for JC**

**AR (1) 68169945AA REB Update Disc (version 11.40.6) for LD**

**AR (1) 68169943AA RHA Update Disc (version 11.40.6) for LD**

Edited by luv2drive

Sounds as if your build date is right on the cusp of the elgibility

for the update,you should always bring a print out of the info

you have aquired as a lot of the dealerships have not seen

the actual problem and only have heard abt it.

The build date is located on the label at the drivers door

look for M(month) D(day) H(hour).

Mine is a June '11 build and have experienced the problem as of yet.

Edited by bigtsr

• Official Dodge Support

I have this problem too and finally had time today to bring it in to get this fixed. So, disappointing story. I called in yesterday and explained the problem to the salesman who sold me my journey. Oh he says yeah that's a common problem, I'll transfer you over to Service Dep. Service picks up and I explain the problem, he says yup bring it in tomorrow morning. So, I think great, even the salesman knows about this problem, they must have the fix down to a fine science, great! So I don't bother bringing the TSB from "Dodgecares" who helps us journey owners out on these forums.

So I bring it in the next morning, explain the problem to the Service rep at the counter. Oh yeah she says, that happens alot, leave it with me and have a seat in the waiting room. So 1 hour and 20 mins later she comes out and says Oh sorry, we don't have the software update to fix it, in fact we only have the updates for the 2010 models.

I cant believe what I'm hearing, I can't believe the incompetence! So it's a common problem but this dealership has never fixed any 2011 or 2012 models with this problem? You morons just wasted 2 hours of my time?Something isn't right here, and I am not happy....but I keep my cool.

Another thing though, I ask her for the build date of my journey because I remember on the TSB from Dodgecares it mentions the build date specifics the TSB applies to "Journeys vehicles built prior to **October 4, 2011" and she tells me my journey build date is October 4th, 2011, so does that mean the TSB from Dodgecares isn't the right one for me?

Am calling Dodge customer help line in the morning.

TSB

SUBJECT:

OVERVIEW:

MODELS:

2011-2012 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built prior to **October 4, 2011 (MDH

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

· CD jumps tracks after cranking the engine, turning the radio off and then on, and/or

· In USB playback mode a blank screen, or the last displayed screen, is displayed

· Intermittently, the back-up chime sounds continuously once vehicle is put into

DIAGNOSIS:

If a customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN list, perform the repair. For all other

PARTS REQUIRED:

Luv,

The dealer should order the repair disk and perform the repair. The bottom of the TSB says, for all other customers that describe the condition. Either that or take it to another dealer if you have one in your area.

Guest luv2drive

Thanks Dodgecares.

My one question remains, the TSB you mention says "applies to vehicles built prior to 4 Oct 11", and my vehicle was built 4 Oct 11 tells me, not prior, as the TSB says. The inside door label says built 10/11. Because of the slight difference in build dates does this TSB still apply to my Journey?

Update. Just spoke with my dealership. We discussed the above 08-048-11 Rev A and they said there is a new Rapid Response 11-108 that says not to use the 08-048-11 Rev A and 11-108 they tell me also says this problem will only be repaired when my VIN is identified with this problem on their system.

Dodge customer care 800-465-2001 was no help at all, they said they don't get involved with TSBs or issues like this.

So........... I'll canvas dealerships myself but if anyone has already gotten their sound problem fixed in the Toronto area, it would help a lot if you could tell me the dealership name. Thank you!

Edited by luv2drive

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks Dodgecares.

My one question remains, the TSB you mention says "applies to vehicles built prior to 4 Oct 11", and my vehicle was built 4 Oct 11 tells me, not prior, as the TSB says. The inside door label says built 10/11. Because of the slight difference in build dates does this TSB still apply to my Journey?

Update. Just spoke with my dealership. We discussed the above 08-048-11 Rev A and they said there is a new Rapid Response 11-108 that says not to use the 08-048-11 Rev A and 11-108 they tell me also says this problem will only be repaired when my VIN is identified with this problem on their system.

Dodge customer care 800-465-2001 was no help at all, they said they don't get involved with TSBs or issues like this.

So........... I'll canvas dealerships myself but if anyone has already gotten their sound problem fixed in the Toronto area, it would help a lot if you could tell me the dealership name. Thank you!

I will see what I can do.

Guest luv2drive

Thanks to Dodgecares for contacting Canada customer assistance and helping me out. Yesterday dealership applied the 08-048-11 fix, the same fix the dealership told me last week wasn't the right one. Difference is this time Chrysler Canada customer assistance called to tell them 08-048-11 IS the right fix. Finally no more fingers resting on the volume every time I start my Journey, no more bracing myself ready for the deafening volume problem.

:angel:

Update: It's now been a week and looks like the sound problem is gone. 08-048-11 was the right fix despite what the dealership said.

Edited by luv2drive

• 3 weeks later...

I got in my 2011 Journey RT this morning and I had NO sound with my CD player, satellite radio, DVD, regular radio...ect. HOW FRUSTRATING! Thanks to this forum, I am not freaking out as it seems to be a problem many have experienced. Taking it to the Dealership tomorrow so hopefully the problem is fixed! :runaway:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

5 months since the last update and the radio still doesn't turn on from time to time.

I had a similar issue a few months ago. Turn on the car and no radio. That also means no climate control either. I had to remove the fuse to reset the unit. No problems since.

• 4 months later...

I had a similar issue a few months ago. Turn on the car and no radio. That also means no climate control either. I had to remove the fuse to reset the unit. No problems since.

Which fuse was it that you removed? I have the same problem with my journey. The uconnect 4.3 screen stays black (off), no radio, no audio from other sources, no climate control, nothing. Screen stays black no matter which button I press, or if I turn off and restart the car. This happened once before but problem fixed upon next restart of the car. This time, I've had no such luck. Fortunate we can use the hard buttons for turning on the defrost and the A/C. Otherwise I think Id be even more upset.

Thanks for any help! I'd like to try removing/replacing the fuse before I think about SW/FW updates (stuff I've read on other threads in this forum).

• Official Dodge Support

Which fuse was it that you removed? I have the same problem with my journey. The uconnect 4.3 screen stays black (off), no radio, no audio from other sources, no climate control, nothing. Screen stays black no matter which button I press, or if I turn off and restart the car. This happened once before but problem fixed upon next restart of the car. This time, I've had no such luck. Fortunate we can use the hard buttons for turning on the defrost and the A/C. Otherwise I think Id be even more upset.

Thanks for any help! I'd like to try removing/replacing the fuse before I think about SW/FW updates (stuff I've read on other threads in this forum).

Miss T,

Not sure which fuse the other poster was talking about but there was a software update for the condition. Copy of the service bulletin is below. Last post on this thread was 5 months ago so I am not sure how many responses you will get about the fuse.

NUMBER: 08-030-12 REV. B

DATE: July 12, 2012

SUBJECT:

OVERVIEW:

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (LX) 300

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built between May 1, 2011 (MDH 0501XX)

and March 22, 2012 (MDH 0322XX). LD/LX vehicles built between May 1, 2011

(MDH 0501XX) and March 27, 2012 (MDH 0327XX) that are equipped with

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

· USB/CD skips while playing.

· Radio changes stations on it's own.

· Radio locks up intermittently or fully inoperative.

· Radio cuts in and out, resets on it's own or completely inoperative.

· Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U0147 - Lost Communication With Telematics

Gateway.

· Radio mutes or Intermittently mutes.

· Radio Display goes blank.

· When the ignition is first turned on, the audio volume is very high.

· CD audio glitch and/or audio drop out for 0.2 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Miss T,

Not sure which fuse the other poster was talking about but there was a software update for the condition. Copy of the service bulletin is below. Last post on this thread was 5 months ago so I am not sure how many responses you will get about the fuse.

NUMBER: 08-030-12 REV. B

DATE: July 12, 2012

SUBJECT:

OVERVIEW:

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (LX) 300

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built between May 1, 2011 (MDH 0501XX)

and March 22, 2012 (MDH 0322XX). LD/LX vehicles built between May 1, 2011

(MDH 0501XX) and March 27, 2012 (MDH 0327XX) that are equipped with

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

· USB/CD skips while playing.

· Radio changes stations on it's own.

· Radio locks up intermittently or fully inoperative.

· Radio cuts in and out, resets on it's own or completely inoperative.

· Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U0147 - Lost Communication With Telematics

Gateway.

· Radio mutes or Intermittently mutes.

· Radio Display goes blank.

· When the ignition is first turned on, the audio volume is very high.

· CD audio glitch and/or audio drop out for 0.2 seconds.

Thanks for the response! The problem still has not gotten resolved so looks like I'll be going in for the SW update. Appreciate the help DodgeCares.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Official Dodge Support
We havent had a chance to take to the dealer so we decided to disconnect the battery in hopes of performing a hard reset. This worked and things are working again. Will look into the SW update when things arent so hectic.

10-4. Let me know if you need any other assistance.

I had the software update done back in August. It seemed to last for a few months, but the problem is back again. It is now worse than ever. Almost every day either my wife or I get in the car and the volume is full blast. Very annoying and potentially dangerous if it startles the driver. I will mention it when the Journey goes in for its next oil change.

Edited by FROGBOX

• 4 months later...

I have 2012 Journey and the sound going to max on startup has begun. The obvious solution, turn sound down and radio off, is not what I paid for. It is a sporadic problem, mostly when my wife starts it, of course. I have read forums with 2011 Journey problem but not 2102. Is there anyone out there with the problem and does Dodge have a TSB to fix it ??

CDC978, yes I've had that problem. It's an easy fix if your dealer's service department is the least bit competent, unfortunately mine wasn't. The TSB is:

TSB

SUBJECT:
OVERVIEW:
MODELS:
2011-2012 (JC) Journey
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
DIAGNOSIS:
PARTS REQUIRED:

I had it fixed over a year ago, problem never returned.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update this thread with my experience. After 4 trips to the dealer for this same problem, they changed the radio unit. All seems to be working now.

History:

1st trip: Brought in to fix loud volume at start up. Software flash done. No change. Problem still remained.

2nd trip. Software flash done again. Fixed volume issue, but lost ability to control rear climate from front (icon missing from screen).

3rd trip: Tried to get rear climate control function back. They flashed the unit again. Got my climate control back, but the full blast volume issue returned.

4the trip: Radio replaced. No issues.....so far.