Start A UK sub-forum? (and a 2.0d mpg Q)

SteveC

Is there any chance admins could create a sub-forum for UK owners? I believe we've got a different set of engines, different entertainment system software and hardware,

On that note, any UK owners out there that can tell me what kind of MPG you get? One of the main drivers for my choice of car was the high quoted MPG. However, I've been getting in the low 30s at best since I've got it (and done about 500 mi).

I have a UK R/T Diesel auto. Around towm I'm getting low 30's, on a run high 30's into 40-42. The best I got was for about 20 miles driving in Scotland with a full load and using the gearbox in manual mode and that was just over 47mpg!!

• 4 weeks later...

hi all, I averaged 32mpg on a run from London to South Eastern Romania this week, average speed for the first two day were 90 MPH, day three, across romania average speed drops to 50 mph and

average mpg went up to 52 !!! this is with the diesel R.T auto..

I have a different problem now, my engine warning light is on, I have 15000 miles on it and its a 2010 model.

Its a bit disconcerting as finding Dodge Dealers/Garage's in Romania is like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack,

a local mercedes shop hooked up the OBD and said it was the sensor on the Catalytic Convertor and their advice to me

was to 'drive faster to clear the particles out' well...considering Romania has one of the highest accident and death rates

on European roads the advice to 'drive faster' is not really going to work for me...Im heading down to Constanta on the Black Sea

coast on Monday, there is a rumor that there is still a trading Dodge Dealership down there so with a bit of luck I can get to the

bottom of the problem before having to risk the drive back to London next month...

Edited by mydodgejourney

Hi,

Regarding your engine light I just replied in your other thread about servicing. It looks like another member on this forum has told you to put the wrong oil in your engine to save a few quid, it will make a difference.

That's great mileage you've had!

Cheers!

Edited by BAC

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I live in the Netherlands. It is a nice idea with the UK forum, due to different specs, but if you do not mind, I'd like to extend it to the European forum as we have the same specs. Regarding the MPG it is about 9.5 l/100km in the city and 8.0 on the highways. But I have another problem, please see:

Hi guys

yes, I have just come from the dealer in Isleworth west london after picking up my diesel rt journey, this is what occurred and what I was told.

I had been putting the incorrect oil in the engine and the Diesel Particulate Filter was indeed clogged up and having trouble re-generating, it was this that

was causing the engine to randomly 'cut out' whilst merrily driving along leading to the terror of trying to steer 19 inch wheels to the kerb with out power

brakes or power steering, I could not believe just how difficult and scary an experience that was, if it has not happened to you at 40mph then pray

it stays that way...anyway..the mechanic went on to give me a thorough ear bashing about my warranty and not using 'Low Ash' oil, to the

VW spec, the DPF will not be honored under the warranty if I screw it up from using the wrong oil so I was told...and the current price from this dealer

for a new one is £1495 plus VAT !!!

other things that contributed to the rapid clogging of the filter I was told was sitting with the engine idling for long periods of time, especially with the Air Con

running at full blast, which was exactly what I have been doing and have done many many times this past year...though I never told the dealer that as he

was already enjoying himself chewing my ears off for using the wrong oil haha

next: lots of short journey, town driving without letting the engine get to operating temperature, apparently this can also contribute to the clogging up of the

DPF so be warned if you use your diesel Journey for popping down the shops for a packet of fags (thats cigarettes for our American cousins not the other fags hehe)

modern diesels eh ? all that emission stuff on them, you have to be so careful now, my old w123 mercedes 240 diesel, you could pour vodka in the tank and it would run.

have a great day where ever you are.

Hi,

that's good you are sharing this experience with us, because I do exactly the same things you've mentioned. It gave me a pretty good warning. Actually this is my very first car with diesel engine. Lot of my friends drove cars with TDI engine and it gained good reputation, but the CRD looks to be very sensitive engine and you have to treat it very carefully otherwise it'll cost you a fortune.

As I mentioned before, mine is leaking oil from turbo. The final status in that case is: talking to Chrysler warranty technician, they'll grant me replacing of a new turbo after it happens three times!!! It happened just once, so two more times to go. Problem is to spot the leak, because the turbo is at the bottom of the engine block and bellow that is a plastic cover. So no chance to see an oil leak. The only way how to recognise it, is to watch closely the oil consumption at every fuel stop (by the way recomended by the manual). I've never realised how difficult is to check a black oil on the black oil dipstick.

Fully agree with "modern diesels eh?". Another pain in the a.. is cooling down the turbo when driving especially on highways. According to the manual, you have to idle the engine for 5 minutes to bring the turbo back to regular temperature when driving high speed and full load cargo. Initially I was advised by the dealer to cool it down for 2 minutes, but than I found the matrix and it is 5!!!

I still keep my old 2000 Nissan Primera with 2.0 petrol engine and it does all the "dirty work" for us now, i.e. going downtown, shopping etc. You can do whatever with the Nissan and it runs perfectly.

Wishing you a nice day.

• 4 weeks later...

hope all you uk diesel owners are doing ok ? my R/T is going along just fine now, front brake pads being replaced next week after getting 19K miles out of them

back brakes have another 10K in them, Kumho tyres down to 30 percent tread and I will replace these in the spring with Michelin Latitude SUV tyres 235 size.

have a great day wherever you are!.

Edited by mydodgejourney