Dead Battery

There are a few of us that have had this issue... Greer was one, and I had it myself. For me personally, it has only happened to me once, but I couldn't figure out what drained the battery.. Everything was off. There was still power to the Journey as everythign worked except just not enough juice to start it.

I have had a flat battery 3 times. . .I had to boost it twice and today I had it towed to the dealer. The service adviser said another Journey owner had a flat battery and it was traced to the radio . . .back ordered to Sept. so the dealer took a radio from another journey.

I've had my 2011 Journey for 4 months now. I've had to jump start the battery twice. The only thing plugged into the 12 volt plug was the cell phone charger, which was not being used but did have a small light indicating power to the charger. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with the battery.

I had my Journey towed to the dealer with a flat battery (third time) and the driver said that a cell phone charger left plugged in could drain the battery. . .he also said that he tows about 10 Journey/minivans a week with flat batteries!

Well....I wouldn't count on it not happening again. I bought my 2011 Journey Crew in Febuary 2011 and after only 6 days of having the car, the battery went dead after leaving it over night. I too, thought it was a fluke, but it happened again 4 days later. Called the dealership and they said I would have to wait 5 days until they could get it in to be looked at for repair. Ridiculous in my opinion since we had the car less than a week and we're having problems already. We had to jump start the car until we could get it into the garage. The first trip to the garage they said it was a defective battery. So they replaced the battery and we got the car back later that day. TWO DAYS LATER the same thing happened when I tried to start the car. LOUD clicking noises coming from the engine area, an then nothing, dead battery. We jumped started the car, and the car alarm goes off. Nice wake up call for the neighbors bright and early. We make an appointment and get it into the garage immediately. The garage had it another 7 days and they gave it back after telling us they "could not reproduce the problem". About TWO weeks later, I go out to start the car and now, all the accessories come on, but the the car will not to turn over to start. The information screen starts flashing a different language, the interior lights flash, the temperature display reads -40 degrees. Well, this time the battery is NOT dead. I do not feel that I should be responsible for jump starting my car for the 8th time after only owning it a month and a half. We call the towing assistance, they come and tow it to a different dealership this time that is closer to our house. They have it three days and return it to us after stating "cannot reproduce the problem". About 2 and half weeks later, the same thing happens again. RIDICULOUS. We call towing assistance, they come and tow it to the garage closer to our house, they have it for five days then return it stating...you guessed it, "cannot reproduce the problem". Now, Dodge requests we take it to the original dealership to have some tests done, they have it for about 10 days, and it is returned to us with a reciept saying "cannot reproduce the problem." FIVE TIMES IN THE GARAGE IN THREE MONTHS!!!!

Also, I would like to point out that the post under the lounge is no longer available.

Check out the thread we started on Edmunds.com under Consumer Reviews. There are others out there!!! We live in Pennsylvania, but our car was brought down for us from Northern New York.

Clearly there is something wrong that all of us are having the same problem...YET everytime we take it to the dealership, Dodge says NO ONE else is having this problem. We are currently in a lemon law case with this vehicle. It's ridiculous!!!

• 1 month later...

Well, it happened to me today, or I should say my wife. The battery was totally dead! Yesterday we noticed that when we started the car the A/C was off and the temp was reset at 72 degrees F. we normally keep it around 66. I mean everything was dead, no lights at all. In the process of charging the battery now. Does anyone have any updates on this situation? I hate to turn off the Passive Entry because that is one of the neat features that my wife and I like. Plus not sure that will fix the problem. This is my wife's car and I can't afford to have her stranded somewhere and I might not be in close proximity.

Well, it happened to me today, or I should say my wife. The battery was totally dead! Yesterday we noticed that when we started the car the A/C was off and the temp was reset at 72 degrees F. we normally keep it around 66. I mean everything was dead, no lights at all. In the process of charging the battery now. Does anyone have any updates on this situation? I hate to turn off the Passive Entry because that is one of the neat features that my wife and I like. Plus not sure that will fix the problem. This is my wife's car and I can't afford to have her stranded somewhere and I might not be in close proximity.

We purchased a 2011 Dodge Journey Lux on May 27, 2011. On June 2 leaving work the battery was dead, I'm talking DEAD nothing worked. I had to use the emergency key to open the door. I immediately called the dealership & they recommended I call emergency road side assistance. While waiting for the towing company I called the salesman at the dealership. He recommended we use jumper cables. The cables barely touched the post and it started right up. We still took into the dealership. They could not find anything wrong, said I must have left the lights on. I knew that was not true but what the heck I'll give them that one. On June 16 you guessed it dead battery again. They kept it two days drove it over 80-miles, could not find anything wrong. Guess what, July 17 the doors unlocked, interior lights came on but when I tried the start engine button nothing, the second time I tried it all the interior lights went crazy flashing, settings were changing, the windshield wipers started going, I could not turn anything off it was unbelievable. And, then nothing the battery died! Had it towed to the dealership same day. I called every day the first week, answer was "we can't find anything wrong or they were checking it or they were talking to Dodge Chrysler factory reps". This went on until July 28th when the service manager called saying they found two things that possibly could be the problem. Seems they had reports from customers who had bought Chargers & the Chrysler 300 if you have the door handles with the "lock button" on the outside moisture was getting inside and causing it to stay engaged therefore draining the battery. The other was the glove compartment door clasp was not connecting properly and the light was staying on. Service manager at my dealership said my Journey was the only one they had had this problem with & that is why it took so long for them to find it. He also said the vendor supplying the door handles is currently designing a new handle and I should be one of the first to receive one. They replaced my door handle, said if I turned off the passive entry IF moisture got into the handle again it would not drain the battery. I loved this feature it was nice to just walk up to the car touch the handle & it unlocked. But temporarily worth the hassle to avoid a dead battery. I was told there will most likely be a recall sometime in the future.

I hope this helps anyone else that is having this problem. I live in Florida and let me tell you standing in 100+ degree heat waiting on a tow truck for a car that is less than 2-months old does not make for a happy customer!

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem....but like Mrlux above, have noticed the day before the battery is found dead the climate control resets itself to 72 defrost so that is now an association to me saying beware tomorrow could be your dead battery day!

Back to the dealer, 1200 miles, 2nd time in under 2 months of owning the vehicle. 1st time was told I just had a bad battery.

2nd trip to dealer.....Body Control Module..... they say is the problem. Apparently the Body Control Module is constantly draining .5 amps from the battery at all times. It was a simple enough fix and they had me back in my car within a few hours. Chrysler recently came out with a technical service bulletin on this, it's a software update needed on this computer.

We will see, I surely hope because I absolutely love my Dodge Journey and the dealer service is a wonderful experience!

• 2 weeks later...

This confirms what DodgeCares posted in the other thread. Some of them cannot be resolved with a software update though.

My daughter wants to purchase a 2011 Journey with AWD and the fancy stuff. I'm retired from Chrysler (Wood Model Maker) and have been reading

the reviews/complaints about the electrical problems on the Journey. I am steering her away from this vehicle due to all the problems with the battery

issues. Has anyone fixed this battery draining issue? Please let me know. I am a loyal Chrysler man but my daughter lives alone and I do not want

her to try and start her car here in Michigan and the battery dies? I would rather she looks at the Chevy lineup with their SUV's. They have no problem

like the 2011 Journey has.

Thanks,

Ron

If you read other threads on here, you will see that Chrysler has released 2 TSBs that are supposed to fix the battery draining issue. Some of us have had one or both TSBs applied. Only time will tell if this is a permanent fix but I believe one owner here has had the fix for six or seven weeks now and has not had the problem again.

ALL vehicles have issues of some sort. I'm sure Chevys' have problems of their own.

We are fortunate enough to have an actual Chrysler employee (DodgeCares) on this board. He has been extremely helpful!

My daughter wants to purchase a 2011 Journey with AWD and the fancy stuff. I'm retired from Chrysler (Wood Model Maker) and have been reading

the reviews/complaints about the electrical problems on the Journey. I am steering her away from this vehicle due to all the problems with the battery

issues. Has anyone fixed this battery draining issue? Please let me know. I am a loyal Chrysler man but my daughter lives alone and I do not want

her to try and start her car here in Michigan and the battery dies? I would rather she looks at the Chevy lineup with their SUV's. They have no problem

like the 2011 Journey has.

Thanks,

Ron

It has been three weeks since I had the Body Control Module flashed and no dead battery yet. I am hoping this TSB has fixed the problem. :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...

:rant2: Well 1600 miles and 2 months and the battery is DEAD AS A DOORNAIL ! No lights nothing! You have got to be kidding me! Had to use my 20 yr old Jeep to jump it.

I have read everyones post and was taking it into the dealer this morning to FINALLY get the hitch wiring harness installed (had to settle for the 4 pin harness since not sure if I would ever see the 7 pin--different thread, sorry)

He said not a problem, well my wife didn't see it that way! She wants to trade it already. I'd lose my shirt on that deal. And trade for what? Another Chrysler product?!?!? Doubtful! Tired of defending them! My father built them on the line for 28 years. And I've owned several. Dont think I will ever buy another again. Said that last time, but think I need to stick with FORD from now on! ARG!

:banghead:

:mad:

@LUX MAN - There was a TSB released to address this problem. It's a quick software update done at the dealership.

Yes, I read all about the TSBs. The advisor basically blew it off as not a problem with the Journeys. Just said it was the heat kiling them. He checked for the TSBs (I guess he did, I even gave him the numbers for them) and ended up doing another update to the system. He called it a RRT. They also put a new Battery in the car.

But the quality of service is a problem. I got a call that it was ready at 430 and driver was being sent to get me. He had not shown by 530 (????) so wife took me. When I get there, yes battery fixed (we'll see) but told that Wireing harness for hitch (that I have been waiting for for 2 months) had knocked out the turn signals. So they disconnected it and now they work but there was a bad module in the harness system and have to wait for another new harness. On top of that, they gouged the apron around the hitch. and didnt replace the fasteners that they forgot to replace last time for the rear apron. O and the spare was hanging down swinging free, not snug in its cradle.

So why tell me the car is done and when I show up it's not even close?? :banghead:

Well, at least the battery still has juice this morning.

I had to have my 2009 towed to the dealer, they said it was a bad battery only after 38,000 miles. They wouldn't cover under warranty. I did email Chrysler and their customer service did end up reimbursing me for the cost minus a $25 fee... Mind you the battery in my 2002 Jeep went from 2002 until 2009 before it needed replacement.

• 2 months later...

I had my Journey towed to the dealer with a flat battery (third time) and the driver said that a cell phone charger left plugged in could drain the battery. . .he also said that he tows about 10 Journey/minivans a week with flat batteries!

dONE THIS FOR THE FOURTH TIME AND THINGS ARE STILL GOING BAD [2011 DODGE JOURNEYCREW ]THEY DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS ...

THERES NOTHING LIKE BUYING A NEW DODGE JOURNEY CREW AND HAVING IT NOT START[DEAD BATTERY4TH TIME AND COUNTING]THE SHOP GIVES ME A HUNDRED EXSCUSES AS TO WHY AND MAKE IT SOUND LIKEM ITS ME .THEY HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM HERE AND NEED TO FIX IT OR RECALL IT .EVERYTIME THIS HAPPENS SOMETHING NEW POPS UP THAT ISNT WORKING .I,M SO FUSSTRATED WITH MY JOURNEY .ITS UNRELIABLE ...THE DEALERSHIP WONT REPLACE THE BATTERY [NOT THE PROBLEM]BUT THEY KEEP TELLING ME THE BATTERY IS DEAD .

• 4 weeks later...

I just had the battery on my 2011 LUX die on me. I hadn't driven it for about two weeks so I'm not sure how long it was dead for.

It's working after the boost but my bluetooth and voice command buttons aren't working now. The bluetooth button is there on the screen and in the settings, but nothing happens when I press them. Sounds exactly like this problem:

I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer to get the BCM and other updates. Crappy thing is that since I bought this from the U.S. I have a third party warranty that has a deductible for $100. So hopefully I can get this all fixed in one visit so I don't have to pay that deductible more than once.

I just had the battery on my 2011 LUX die on me. I hadn't driven it for about two weeks so I'm not sure how long it was dead for.

It's working after the boost but my bluetooth and voice command buttons aren't working now. The bluetooth button is there on the screen and in the settings, but nothing happens when I press them. Sounds exactly like this problem:

I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer to get the BCM and other updates. Crappy thing is that since I bought this from the U.S. I have a third party warranty that has a deductible for $100. So hopefully I can get this all fixed in one visit so I don't have to pay that deductible more than once.

I just went to start it and it was completely dead again! I'm going to try to bring it into the dealership tomorrow evening. Hopefully the BCM or that other flash update solves this...