rusty-c Posted September 20 Report Share Posted September 20 I'm having issues with the wife's 2019 Dodge Journey GT 3.6L AWD that I hope the board can provide some insight. With the exception of turning left from a stop or at very low speed and when backing the vehicle the steering is working as would be expected. In the described circumstances the steering reacts as if the vehicle has no power steering, likewise there is a slight pop that is heard. If turns are wide or at speed it functions as would be expected. It is not losing power steering fluid, but the fluid is filthy. Boots are intact and in good condition and all other suspension parts are tight. In attempting to diagnose I also looked at the struts, and they are not leaking and there's no apparent play in mounts. When I put the vehicle on jack stands and try to replicate the problem there is no issue, so it appears that this only occurs when the full weight of the vehicle is on the tires. My thoughts are that the rack and pinion is failing, but don't want to head down that rabbit hole until I have some confirmation from folks that are smarter than me or have experienced a similar issue. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
larryl Posted September 20 Report Share Posted September 20 Mine started to leak as well as different noises I got a used one from the wreckers and the issues went away. It lasted almost 200000 miles before it gave out the used one had only 48000 miles on it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
5rebel9 Posted September 21 Report Share Posted September 21 14 hours ago, rusty-c said: I'm having issues with the wife's 2019 Dodge Journey GT 3.6L AWD that I hope the board can provide some insight. With the exception of turning left from a stop or at very low speed and when backing the vehicle the steering is working as would be expected. In the described circumstances the steering reacts as if the vehicle has no power steering, likewise there is a slight pop that is heard. If turns are wide or at speed it functions as would be expected. It is not losing power steering fluid, but the fluid is filthy. Boots are intact and in good condition and all other suspension parts are tight. In attempting to diagnose I also looked at the struts, and they are not leaking and there's no apparent play in mounts. When I put the vehicle on jack stands and try to replicate the problem there is no issue, so it appears that this only occurs when the full weight of the vehicle is on the tires. My thoughts are that the rack and pinion is failing, but don't want to head down that rabbit hole until I have some confirmation from folks that are smarter than me or have experienced a similar issue. Don't know how many miles on such as newer ride or type of road conditions you drive on..... BUT . I would much more suspect ball joints or a failing power steering pump. John/Horace 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
2late4u Posted September 21 Report Share Posted September 21 years ago my daughter had a caravan that had a steering gear that was acting up and she added a bit of fluid to it before telling me about the problem,it ended up being a seal in the steering unit letting the power steering fluid to drain into the drivers side boot by the time I seen it the boot was holding it all in but was ballooned out to the max till it finally blew, then she had a used one installed, she didn't say anything about strange noises and no loss of function till it finally went out Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rusty-c Posted September 22 Author Report Share Posted September 22 In response to a couple of thoughts given... It's my wife's daily driver and the miles on it are either road trips or the daily 25 miles to and from work which totals a bit over 110,000 miles. Mostly highway miles and good quality county roads; it never goes off road unless you consider my daughters gravel drive. The tie rods, bushings, upper strut mounts, and ball joints are in good repair and have been ruled out. While the power steering fluid is filthy, there are no leaks and the level is full without having needed any additional added. The noise is intermittent and not significant when it does occur. My belief is that it isn't the power steering pump. Correct me if my thinking is flawed, but if the pump was failing I believe that it would be doing so across the entire steering range, where this vehicle is only exhibiting at extreme left under power or left when turning from a stop. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
larryl Posted September 22 Report Share Posted September 22 Why not change out the power steering fluid ? Dean H and 2late4u 2 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.