Starting Engine in Extreme cold

Kech

I purchased a 2010 SXT / 3.5L V6 Journey in November and was wondering if anyone else hears a load noise when starting their car in the morning in extremely cold weather (-15C and below). It goes away in seconds, but sounds like the starter is going to bust out of the vehicule. Just a thought......

could be the power steering pump, they like to whine in the frigid temps

I here the same but when I have it plugged into the block heater it seems less then without being plug in. I recorded the sound as well. Not sure how to share the sound on here.

I have a 2010 sxt and it also makes a sound when it starts when cold . It almost sounds like a 2 stroke snowmobile with tuned pipes on it ,the colder it is the longer it makes the sound. Sounds like it is coming from drivers side. I think it could be the starter gear hanging on .

I have a 2010 sxt and it also makes a sound when it starts when cold . It almost sounds like a 2 stroke snowmobile with tuned pipes on it ,the colder it is the longer it makes the sound. Sounds like it is coming from drivers side. I think it could be the starter gear hanging on .

That's the exact sound I'm talking about......very good description Bubba.....

My Journey does this too. Only when cold it squeals for a second when started. I have also noticed it "tics" for a while after that until warmed up

"Tic tic tic tic tic"

Goes away once it's warmed up.

Could the squeal be the timing belt? Maybe that's causing the ticking?

I am going to book an appointment at the dealer. I've only had mine a month or so.

Thought? Suggestions?

Edited by ENG911

My Journey does this too. Only when cold it squeals for a second when started. I have also noticed it "tics" for a while after that until warmed up

"Tic tic tic tic tic"

Goes away once it's warmed up.

Could the squeal be the timing belt? Maybe that's causing the ticking?

I am going to book an appointment at the dealer. I've only had mine a month or so.

Thought? Suggestions?

Please report the results back here after your appt.

I just bought a new 2010 Journey SXT (has 950 miles so far ) and yes, it makes a quick loud squealing noise when 1st started on cold mornings. It sounds like the starter is the issue, not sure. And yes, it has the tic, tic, tic noise too until it wams up, and sometimes even when it is warm. Good car overall, so far.

Edited by warrior

I have the same issue, 2010 SXT purchased in November 2010. I was wondering if I was the only one and have had my vechicle at the Dealership twice, I actually recorded a sound clip of the noise so they could hear it. Just had my second visit back to the dealer today, after dropping the vehicle off last night. The first visit they replaced the power steering pump, resivor and fluid however the noise was still there the next morning. Returned the vehcile for a second visit and they said they checked the belts, pulleys and the tried three other new 2010 Journeys on the lot and they all made a similar noise. The Dealership said they had spoken to Chrysler and they are aware of the noise however there is no TSB so there is nothing further they can do. They did provide me a printout from Chrylser stating the noise is acceptable for 1 second at temperatures of 0 F (-18 C) and -20 F (-29 C) for 15 seconds. I talked to the mechanic and he was quite confident it was an problem with the pump design. I asked the Dealership if I could hear the noise from another new vehicle on the lot and it was a similar noise, but not quite as loud and shorter in length.

For me this isn't acceptable for a new vehicle, hopefully Chrysler comes up with a fix for this, it's embarrasing to start my vehicle first thing in the morning.

Hopefully this works, attached the sound clip. It's a bit long since I was video taping and showing the temperature before starting. Extracted the audio, not sure how to edit.

i think it's the starter that do not disengage itself fast enough because of the cold ... my Journey do this when it's -20C and colder.

My previous car was a Dodge Neon 2003 R/T with the same issue and it was the exact same sound ... owned this car for 5 years from 0 Km to 125 000 Km and zero problems .. all i did was oils changes and installed new brakes in 5 years .. pretty good car.

I sincerely think it's normal as long as it happen on very cold days for a couple of seconds...

i think it's the starter that do not disengage itself fast enough because of the cold ... my Journey do this when it's -20C and colder.

My previous car was a Dodge Neon 2003 R/T with the same issue and it was the exact same sound ... owned this car for 5 years from 0 Km to 125 000 Km and zero problems .. all i did was oils changes and installed new brakes in 5 years .. pretty good car.

I sincerely think it's normal as long as it happen on very cold days for a couple of seconds...

I guess my standards are to high, I've never owned a Chrysler product before.

I have the same problem with my 2010 SXT when its -10'C or colder.

Brought it in to the dealer but they couldn't reproduce the problem after leaving it outside for a few hours. I'm waiting for a good -25'C Canadian cold snap and I'll bring it back again.

I too suspect its the starter not disengaging fast enough....

Oh well, another problem I hope to sort out before the warranty is up.

This is the power steering making that noise when its COLD!(-20C). My Ford (E150) company truck does this too. This is because the hydraulic fluid in the power steering is thicker in the cold therefore the power steering pump has a harder time getting the fluid to flow so it will make some noise for a moment.

I here the same but when I have it plugged into the block heater it seems less then without being plug in. I recorded the sound as well. Not sure how to share the sound on here.

Unfortunately when you plug your vehicle in it only warms up the engine and not the power steering.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010 SXT and mine makes that aweful noise on cold mornings as well. I took it in and had to record the sound. They replaced the starter........still does it. If anyone has ideas or has had this fixed once and for all please share so I can go back and get this fixed! it drives me nuts and its a new freakin' vehicle!

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys,

It actually is the power sterring pump. My 2001 Neon did the same and several cars from different companies does it too it is just the pump

working too hard. When the temperature is low under 5 deg the fluid thikens and makes it hard for the pump.

Best thing is to flush the whole lines and add new fluid right before the winter. While your replacing the fluid remove the reservoir and

clean it because there is a filter inside that cloggs after a while.

It is just the way the pump is made it sucks but so does winter so it is just another part of the game.