Tuning 2010 Dodge Journey

poordebru

Has any one tried any of the computer chips for more HP and increased gas mileage? Also has any one tried a different air cleaner for better gas mileage? We have a 2010 AWD Journey and are looking to increase gas mileage more than HP. Or has any one found some other way to accomplish these goals.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

I changed my air filter to a K & N air filter. It helps, but not much. I saw a small increase in HP and gas Mileage. Gas Mileage went up about 2 miles. As fas as HP, I have a faster take off now (I have the 2.4L engine), but nothing to brag about.

Hello!

I am new here (just registered) specifically because I wanted to talk to other owners about their lack of gas mileage AND HP. We own the sxt model and were told that it was "great on gas".... meanwhile we use about 16L per 100KM which is way more than anticipated. I also find that the gas pedal is soft -- sometimes when I take off, it's fine. Other times, it's like I'm sinking it almost to the floor to get it to go. I have had it back at the dealer twice since picking this thing up in December and they basically say that I am imagining it.

Sorry to hijack your post, I am really hoping to pick up some useful tips here!

Hello!

I am new here (just registered) specifically because I wanted to talk to other owners about their lack of gas mileage AND HP. We own the sxt model and were told that it was "great on gas".... meanwhile we use about 16L per 100KM which is way more than anticipated. I also find that the gas pedal is soft -- sometimes when I take off, it's fine. Other times, it's like I'm sinking it almost to the floor to get it to go. I have had it back at the dealer twice since picking this thing up in December and they basically say that I am imagining it.

Sorry to hijack your post, I am really hoping to pick up some useful tips here!

• 2 weeks later...
(for some reason, the heat also uses the A/C compresser during operation)

I could be wrong, but doesn't it only uses the compressor at certain settings such as defrost because you don't want moisture on the interior of your windshield. :D

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 2 months later...

I had to jump in here because of the mileage. My '09 V6 should be the same as peoples '10 V6, right?

I did multiple tests at 58K km's in normal spring driving at 110KM / hour. Got 8.2L / 100 km's. About 34 miles per imperial gallon. 28.5 miles per US gallons.

I have noticed how people think the gas pedal is soft. Its all electronic. No direct connection. Lets them monitor how fast you slap down the to affect the ESP. They also monitor how quick you press on the brake. Isn't it called progressive braking? You keep sinking deeper towards the floor the more it magnifies the brake pressure. Smash it to the floor, it'll magnify the action 125%? Makes me wonder if it is connected to the early wear on brakes as a contributing factor with those issues. But it is was that then the after market brakes shouldn't fix the problem. Soft pads in the end. But the braking and that hill-assist really are different.

This winter I learned just how well the traction control works. I COULD NOT spin out. I tried. Oh I tried :lol: I did have to turn off the ESP so I could spin my tires on purpose on the packed snow. It would rob power and pretty much let me limp around, pulling power due to slipping.

One thing though. I think the Journey is great, but that TIP start. Maybe its only on a 2009 but the remote start was useless after -30C (it went that and lower for half a week. Welcome to Alberta) The TIP would engage the starter, vroom for a second, then it seemed to pull all throttle power going to a low idle. Instant stall. Try to start it 3 times and it makes you finally go out and manually start it on the 4th try. Remote Start restriction I suppose. Once started and it goes vroom I had to pump the accelerator to see if it'll get the fuel pump going. No direct link to the gas so it seemed to try but just repeated its stalling action. Once stalled and the light and dash flash and go dark and flash while trying to start, I lost my radio station favs.

I'm going to have a garage by the end of the summer so I'm hoping things will change. I'm still happy with the mileage though.

I did multiple tests at 58K km's in normal spring driving at 110KM / hour. Got 8.2L / 100 km's. About 34 miles per imperial gallon. 28.5 miles per US gallons.

Jerith

With all due respect, I'm sorry, I have to question the validity of your results. :) IMHO there is no way you could average 8.2l/100kms. with the 3.5 L V-6 engine, which is what I have in my 2010 R/T AWD. I would be the first person to agree that the AWD probably uses a wee bit more gas than a standard FWD vehicle.

I have averaged my vehicle's mileage over 12,000 km and 35 fillups, this is the results I have gotten. You can see my results by clicking on the "My Fuelly" logo in my sig . below. My results are based on very accurate records that I record immediately upon fillup. I apologize to the other listmembers as I have posted this before in another thread, My results are pretty much in line with other owners of similiar vehicles all over North America.

The best mileage I ever got was 9.3 liters/100 kilometers. That was on the highway on a trip from Lethbridge, Alberta to Regina, Saskatchewan. As I'm sure you're well aware that is very flat piece of highway. If I only used that fillup to base my gas mileage on, then I would have a very impressive number, but I don't, I use a very real world number, using 36 fillups and averaging my mileage over 12,000 kms. A very much more meanifull number

Am I lying when I say my car gets 9.3l/100 kms? NO Am I "stretching the truth a little? YES. Those numbers are based on many fill ups not 1 or 2.

These are my stats as taken from http://www.fuelly.com which is vastly different than the sticker on my car. As you can see I've tracked my car since day 1 of owning it, http://www.fuelly.co...ndancer/journey nearly 12,000 kms. and 35 fills ups.The US equivelents are what My Fuelly said...... sorry I wasn't going to get out a calculator and convert everything. The first 10 or so tanks were mid grade gas and the remainder were regular. My driving consists of 70% city and 30% highway. I do get very good gas mileage on the highway but it goes down drastically as soon as I hit the city driving.

As many of you already know, I have a 2010 loaded up R/T Journey. The reason I shared this is I have nothing to hide and show some proof of the gas mileage. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, unfortunately it Does Not get the implied gas mileage on the sticker. As I mentioned in a previous post, that is done under very ideal conditions. My Fuelly is a very easy, not to mention FREE way of accurately keeping a log of you gas mileage.

There are 2 main things from what I posted that are significant. One is the gas mileage in the real world is much different that what you see on the car's sticker and two, we pay a much higher cost of gas than our American friends south of the border.

I really would be interested in the gas mileage of the 2011 Journey. As a side note when I filled up yesterday (April 21st), the onboard computer said 17.3 kms, in reality it was closer to 19.0 l/100 kms. Just something to keep in mind.

Regards

Terry

Metric (Canadian)

Total Fuel-ups - 35

Avg km/Fuel-up - 348.5

Avg Price/Litre - $1.05

Avg Price/Fuel-up - $56.90

Total km Tracked - 11,847

Last Price/Litre $1.21 (+$0.08)

Avg Price/Litre -$1.16 (30 Days)

Avg Price/km - $0.16

Avg MPG - 15.2

Best km/Fuel-up - 667.1 12/09/10

Best Price/Litre - $0.79 06/09/10

Total Spent 2011 - $592.85

US Equivelents

Total Fuel-ups - 35

Avg Miles/Fuel-up - 216.5

Avg Price/Gallon - $3.98

Avg Price/Fuel-up - $56.90

Total Miles Tracked - 7,362

Last Price/Gallon - $4.58 (+$0.30)

Avg Price/Gallon - $4.38 (30 Days)

Avg Price/Mile - $0.26

Avg L/100km - 15.5

Best Miles/Fuel-up - 414.5 12/09/10

Best Price/Gallon - $2.99 06/09/10

Total Spent 2011 - $592.85

Edited by Windancer

You are exactly why I had to jump into the discussion! My V6 results is something I'll test again and again. It could be wildly incorrect. :lol:

My limited test started with a running start reset at 110KM/h which will drastically skew my results compared to your better design true efficiency test. This was also done twice from Edmonton to Grande Prairie so quality of gas and rising or dropping altitude probably was a factor as well. Well, not probably, certainly. So, is this a valid test to find the running at speed mileage, versus the mileage a tank of gas gets you? Its like the claim about the Grand Cherokee and it's 1000km one tank ability. Dubious.

A question though. If your tallies are lifetime how do you figure cold idle and other winter problems where the car is running but not traveling? Makes it very hard to guess efficiency during the winter. But certainly insures a rating in the high 9's.

So remember folks, the rating on the window sticker for mileage isn't a report of real life costs. It is just a number value used to compare vehicles against each other. A rating given by a standardized test for customer comparison between brands and models.

:)

You are exactly why I had to jump into the discussion! My V6 results is something I'll test again and again. It could be wildly incorrect. :lol:

You were more correct than you give yourself credit for. ;) I certainly wasn't calling you a liar, I sincerly hope you never took it that way because that is not what was intended.

My limited test started with a running start reset at 110KM/h which will drastically skew my results compared to your better design true efficiency test. This was also done twice from Edmonton to Grande Prairie so quality of gas and rising or dropping altitude probably was a factor as well. Well, not probably, certainly. So, is this a valid test to find the running at speed mileage, versus the mileage a tank of gas gets you? Its like the claim about the Grand Cherokee and it's 1000km one tank ability. Dubious.

Very true.........

A question though. If your tallies are lifetime how do you figure cold idle and other winter problems where the car is running but not traveling? Makes it very hard to guess efficiency during the winter. But certainly insures a rating in the high 9's.

I couldn't agree more, like you, Regina had a very a very poor and cold winter. Unfortunately my mileage figures takes into account a lot of idling in cold weather, lots of snow and as you mentioned other winter problems etc. That is why I had such poor gas mileage throughout the winter months. I had my car out on the highway last Friday and my gas mileage took a Huge jump for the better.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

You loose about 1mpg for every 1000' of elevation plus thier rating is for 95km /hour and for every 10km above that you loose approx 1 more mpg. So were we are, elevation of 2850' drops about 3 before you even turn the thing on and then an additional 1-2 for driving on a 100 or 110km road. So realitiy kicks in and we are going to have about a 4-5 uk-mpg loss over the door sticker. On my 2010 RT AWD this worked out to be about right, I was getting 25-28 on the highway pretty regularly on a trip of a few hours. 18-21 in town depending on season.

Edited by OddJob

• 2 months later...

Well my wife was driving to Parry Sound along Hwy 69 and got to an evic number of 8.2L/100km. The only thing I've done is install a K&N air filter and running synthetic oil since the 3.5 v6 turn over 28000Km. No complaints here considering she was driving about 105Km/H.