Does someone recommend an aftermarket radio for a 2019 Dodge Journey?

My requirements:

• Working climate and heated seat control from radio (all functions from original)
  • Working aftermarket or original backup camera
  • CarPlay
  • Android Auto
  • Bluetooth audio and hands-free calling which works unlike the original which doesn't connect half the time

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a fair amount of research on the topic and have concluded that the necessary modules, harnesses and bezels end up being too costly even before picking a head unit. I don't want to lose climate control or steering wheel control functionality and that requires an expensive module.
Personally I'm now looking more in the direction of just getting a background carplay/android auto module that integrates with the OEM screen and retains all normal stock functions. I believe some or most of these units have everything you're asking for. I've seen a few of them badged by western companies but I could tell they weren't manufacturing them themselves so I started digging around on aliexpress and found the unit(s) they're rebranding. I'm considering ordering one myself soon. They're not cheap but compared to the cost of getting everything else to go aftermarket, it seems like a good option.

I'm leery of linking aliexpress urls on my first ever post in the forum, but I'll attach an image of what I'm referring to. I've seen them for $300-$400 on aliexpress and up to $800 from a western vendor who rebranded it.
If I pick one up soon I'll make a post about it.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 12-29-28 JoyeAuto Wireless Apple CarPlay for Dodge Uconnect 8.4 Charger SRT8 CarPlay Kit Android Auto Mirror-Link Reserve Camera Retrofit.png

Thanks for the answer! I've done some research too, and saw that radios with full CarPlay, AA, and climate control support like this one: https://allegro.pl/oferta/radio-junsun-dla-dodge-journey-fiat-freemont-carplay-android-auto-1-32wifi-15359483711 (polish site) What do you think about this hardware? I'm open for suggestions. Also, if someone used this type of radio, please let me know.

I was looking too and apparently nobody has one or knows how to make it work.  I figured, why not, and bought one.  I actually uninstalled it and couldn't get it to work initially.  Now, I understand it pretty well.

I installed one in today for my wife's 2017.  I paid $230 for it.  It came with everything.  It wasn't the cheapest, I just wanted the 8 core 4gig memory one.

It controls the AC and all.  There are quite a few of them on Amazon and eBay.  I'd guess most people give up and never get them installed. 

In the custom fit ones there is a setting buried in the menus to set up the AC controls.  It doesn't just work, you have to figure it out.  Unfortunately there are no directions and the sellers don't put the information in the listings.  It is a little odd to do but works pretty good to be honest. 

I made a video today of everything working and showed the settings.  It actually does a great job with wireless android auto.  Immediate connection and no issues. 

All the steering controls work, all the AC controls, it shows the doors(and trunk) are open by a picture on the screen.  Youtube worked great without any issues.  GPS was good.  I haven't installed the camera because my wife needed to go somewhere.  I did plug the cable in the back of the radio(that is the wifi/bluetooth antenna apparently for some reason) and it brings up the camera screen when backing up.

There are a lot of options that you can adjust for the car from the radio.  Overall, I'm pretty happy. 

The fitment to the dash isn't perfect but it isn't bad. 

I'm going to post the video in a little bit here.  I can drop a link if anyone is interested.

9 minutes ago, RealFloopyGuy said:

I posted a video.  Please like or whatever if you check it out and it is helpful.  This is the first video I made for something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjrhdv75w5I

Nice work for such an upgrade AND to make such an informative video.....all above my work grade level....LOL

36 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

Nice work for such an upgrade AND to make such an informative video.....all above my work grade level....LOL

I don't even use my radio and also the Bluetooth as well...just old school I guess

14 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

I don't even use my radio and also the Bluetooth as well...just old school I guess

lol.  My wife wanted all that.  Watching cartoons as we drive keeps the kids in check.  I'm thinking I might do screens in the headrests for that.  The radio has outputs to do it.

It really wouldn't be bad if someone had explained how the canbus worked in the settings beforehand and that the CD player part had to be removed to get all the plugs put in. 

I could do it in 10 minutes now.  It was really easy.  The hardest part was guessing through the canbus part.  That is why I made the video.

It is pretty much exactly the one in your link I'd guess but I couldn't say for sure.  It has a different canbus box for sure though. There wasn't any splicing or cutting or anything to install.

This is the CD player if anyone comes here and wants that EXACT one. 

https://ebay.us/cZeQt7

Edited by RealFloopyGuy

4 hours ago, RealFloopyGuy said:

lol.  My wife wanted all that.  Watching cartoons as we drive keeps the kids in check.  I'm thinking I might do screens in the headrests for that.  The radio has outputs to do it.

It really wouldn't be bad if someone had explained how the canbus worked in the settings beforehand and that the CD player part had to be removed to get all the plugs put in. 

I could do it in 10 minutes now.  It was really easy.  The hardest part was guessing through the canbus part.  That is why I made the video.

It is pretty much exactly the one in your link I'd guess but I couldn't say for sure.  It has a different canbus box for sure though. There wasn't any splicing or cutting or anything to install.

This is the CD player if anyone comes here and wants that EXACT one. 

https://ebay.us/cZeQt7

sounds like you could make some $$ from the manufacturer to use your video and help with their sales...........congrats

That'd be nice.  lol.  I don't know why I always find myself with a car with funky hard to upgrade stuff or wanting something that requires me to build a skillset.   

I might have to look them up and see. 

I wasn't entirely sure it'd work at all with the AC stuff.  Turned out pretty good though.  The same seller has a slightly bigger Tesla screen that appears to keep the ac controls on the bottom at all times.

Maybe if I make him a series of install videos with more professional camera work and more effort he will give me one free 😛

7 hours ago, 2late4u said:

sounds like you could make some $$ from the manufacturer to use your video and help with their sales...........congrats

That'd be nice.  lol.  I don't know why I always find myself with a car with funky hard to upgrade stuff or wanting something that requires me to build a skillset.   

I might have to look them up and see. 

I wasn't entirely sure it'd work at all with the AC stuff.  Turned out pretty good though.  The same seller has a slightly bigger Tesla screen that appears to keep the ac controls on the bottom at all times.

Maybe if I make him a series of install videos with more professional camera work and more effort he will give me one free.  :)

Edited by RealFloopyGuy

On 4/14/2024 at 12:23 AM, RealFloopyGuy said:

I posted a video.  Please like or whatever if you check it out and it is helpful.  This is the first video I made for something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjrhdv75w5I

Thanks for the answer and video! I'm planning to buy this type of headunit, when I install and configure it along with a backup camera, I'll let you know. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered one for my 2014 DJ SXT 3.6 L from ali express for $210 CAD and installed by myself. Installation went fine and it came with module to control everything on board. Backup camera/ steering / climate control functions all work. It’s been over 6 months, no complaints. 

IMG_7342_Original.jpeg

On 4/28/2024 at 5:21 AM, Kash said:

Installation went fine and it came with module to control everything on board. Backup camera/ steering / climate control functions all work.

IMG_7342_Original.jpeg

Is the backup camera original or aftermarket?