PTU Journey 2015

Hey Everyone, 

Just came out of my oil change and got a bad news. Apparently my PTU is starting leaking nothing bad just start. However the cost of replacement here in alberta is 8600$ , bit pricy.

I was wondering if anyone already had the issue and or if it's worst waiting a bit. Car was bought new and got only 64oookm

Thank you for all feedback

Would be nice to know just where on the PTU it's starting to leak.

My '14 developed a leak where it mounts to the transmission. BUT this was due to the O ring seal being damaged when the trans was removed for torque converter replacement. 

IF your car's leak is from the seal for the passenger side axle shaft, that is much more easily replaced to fix the leak, and much less costly.

ALSO this sounds like a time to seek a second opinion from a trusted shop.

Edited by 5rebel9

22 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Would be nice to know just where on the PTU it's starting to leak.

My '14 developed a leak where it mounts to the transmission. BUT this was due to the O ring seal being damaged when the trans was removed for torque converter replacement. 

IF your car's leak is from the seal for the passenger side axle shaft, that is much more easily replaced to fix the leak, and much less costly.

ALSO this sounds like a time to seek a second opinion from a trusted shop.

Thank you for your feedback, 

Yeah as pair the Dealer who's Chrysler , the leak may appear underneath the passenger area. So far I have no trace of leak anywhere in my underground parking and no bad smell.  Like you suggest I may change seek a different opinion since I leave kinda remotely. 

Thank you 😊 

Most awd vehicles can be switched to 2 wheel drive by removing the rear drive shaft, including the Journey.

Dealerships will never do a procedure like this. Car needs to be put back to original condition so it can go another 100k miles ….and we can make $8600 on a repair.  

A transmission or truck repair place can access the severity of the leak or even switch vehicle to temporarily 2 wheel drive.  As somebody already said; It may only be a side c/v axle lip seal leak, a $25 part and a few hrs of  labor. The front ptu unit holds about 700ml of thick 75w90 gear oil. A few drips every few days will not drop fluid level all that much. But you can’t ignore it and let it get really low and wreck the internal bearings. 
A used ptu unit from an auto recycler is often the most cost effective repair if a full rebuild is needed. Because unit was run for a while without any oil left inside.