09 Journey 3.5L timing belt issue?

Woody0421

My 2009 dodge Journey's engine cut off while driving. Mechanic said it was a timing belt failure and says I need a new engine. The timing belt is not broken, I've opened it up and looked at it. Is it possible for the belt to skip a tooth and be out of time and if so since it is an interference engine, would skipping 1 tooth be enough for the valves to make contact with the cylinder heads?

I am NOT a mechanic but yes they can stretch a bit and sometimes enough to skip a tooth,maybe enough to cause the engine to quit running..since it didn't break you should be okay to replace the belt cheaper than replacing the engine that might not be bad,,,,take this for what its worth...good luck and please report back on what you do and what happens in the future

Update*  code P0340…..camshaft Circuit Malfunction…. Is the only code I haven’t gotten to clear. I’ve put in 2 different camshaft sensors. Sounds like it wants to start, will turn over but not completely start. Code P0341 is CTK range/performance. So am I hunting a Wiring problem? Is there a fuse for the camshaft sensor? If this did jump time, which codes should I see?????? 

Haven’t worked on the Chrysler 3.5 timing belt. But I have changed close to a dozen belts on various vehicles from Honda to Hyundai V6’s. Did a 2.7 Rondo V6 last year for my daughter. Belt, idlers, tensioner, CPS sensor and water pump. You only want to go in there once if possible. A lot of labor removing  crank pulley and plastic covers.

If it’s out one tooth generally a vehicle will be hard to start but it will run. Timing out around 6 degrees so awful idle and not really driveable. Two teeth and engine generally won’t start. In neither case is there any contact with valves or engine damage. It’s very easy for even an experienced mechanic to have timing out one tooth on any of the timing gears. 

There is a small flexible cam that mechanics can use to inspect valves through plug hole for damage. Time consuming job some guys won’t want to do.  If car just died without a bang or lurch. Maybe the valves are still ok and it’s worth trying to get an inspection. The real proof is pulling all covers and seeing if timing marks line up. A lot of labor involved. Experience needed to assess if marks are properly aligned.

I’m pretty sure your code is from timing being off from belt jumping. Belt may look ok from quick inspection, its the small teeth underneath that matter, there is probably one section of a few damaged rubber teeth or slots. Look at very bottom of plastic cover by the crank pulley for any small chunks of rubber. 

Edited by John/Horace