Inspection Costs - Feedback

Mowlgi

Hi, I know almost 0 about cars so when I have questions I come to this forum since in the past people have been very helpful.

I have a 2011 Dodge Journey. I live in MA and I have to pass the yearly inspection. I took the car to the mechanic and he found a lot of issues. I currently cannot afford all the changes and would like some feedback into what I can delay until I get the money (maybe a two/three months delay).

• Inspection cost: $35 (I have to pay this no matter what)
  • The break pads all need to be changed: $890 (one had already completely disappeared and the other 3 were very close to the end of their life)
  • The front lower control arms have "bushing" cracks: $740
  • Wheel Alignment: $79.99
  • Left front hub and bearing assembly: $433
  • Changing the radiator: $555 (apparently it is completely broken and can lead to motor overheating - I never long distances but they told me that after 1 hour ride it will be risky)

These are the costs and I would need to add the tax. I have attached some pictures in case they help. I was wondering if there is anything I can postpone. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mowgli

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-23 at 09.16.39 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-23 at 09.16.39 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-23 at 09.16.39 copy.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-23 at 09.16.39.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-23 at 09.16.40.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-23 at 09.24.42 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-23 at 09.24.42.jpeg

If you cant do the work or have some one you trust to do it on the side then, yes you are at the mercy of whoever you use,,prices can vary wildly between auto repair shops of course you get what you pay for most of the time.....$890 is kind of high on the brakes as far as I am concerned with, parts off Amazon should be around 4 rotors  for around $200,, pads around $60 to $120 for the good brands(akebono)are the only pads I will use,,,plus labor the rest just depends on parts and labor ,but all of what you posted needs to be fixed right away also good price on the alignment where I live $ 99. is the cheapest that they will do for a 4 wheel alignment job which is req on journeys  $106 on Amazon for front wheel bearing plus labor

Edited by 2late4u

The fins on rad are def folded over and a new rad will be needed eventually.  But usually the alum fins start to fall out of core when it’s getting close to end of life. Fan might cycle a bit more with folded fins,  but imo its replacement could wait a little. How many miles on this vehicle ?  Not a brake/suspension safety issue, so could delay and pass inspection.

Some high labor repairs make using a better quality part more cost effective in long run.  If you are planning on dumping car soon, cheaper parts make more sense.