Buying Journey 3.6 4x4

Hello, I want to buy a Dodge Journey 3.6 4x4 after the 2016 facelift. I am from Europe and I want to import the car from an auction in North America (USA or Canada). I have read and watched a lot of videos related to this car, and some are quite contradictory. I am mostly concerned about the engine and the electronics in it, and 4x4 system is it reliable? Can you share what I can really expect in terms of issues with this car? The price in Europe compared to North America is significantly higher, so I am considering importing it.

Edited by viktor.n.m

Here is my experience.  I've owned a few of the 3.6 engines and every one has needed at least one oil cooler assembly replacement, and at least one idler pulley replacement.  Neither is a terrible job if you are mechanically inclined have access to the parts.

I've also had an issue with multiple rocker arms failing on one of the engines.  If you catch the problem early enough it will not damage the camshafts too seriously and you can replace just the rocker arms.  Replacing the rocker arms is a bit more involved, but it can be done without removing the cam shafts if you research the method.

I haven't had any major issues with the electronics, but they are extremely sensitive to voltage and you will need a strong battery.  You will experience odd issues with clock and HVAC resetting itself, and possibly other dashboard lights if the battery gets weak.  The battery is inside the driver's side wheel well, so it's not the easiest to change.

I purchased my current Journey used with about ~140,000 miles on it.  The all-wheel-drive viscous coupler was bad when I purchase it.  There would be random clunks from the rear of the car, especially when making a tight turn, and it was wearing out the rear tires quickly.  A new viscous coupler can cost $1500-$2000 USD for the part alone.  I found a replacement in a junk yard for $50 and it works fine and solved all my issues.

• 3 months later...

The Dodge Journey 3.6 4x4 post-2016 facelift can be a cost-effective choice through North American auctions. However, be cautious of potential electronic and engine issues reported in some models. Common concerns include transmission problems and electrical issues. The 4x4 system's reliability varies; regular maintenance is crucial. Importing can save costs, but thoroughly research the specific vehicle history, and consider a pre-purchase inspection. Familiarize yourself with import regulations and associated fees. Despite potential challenges, many owners enjoy the Journey's practicality. Prioritize transparency in the vehicle's history and condition, and consult forums for real-world experiences before making an informed decision.

For AWD vehicles, focusing on rain traction and handling rather than heavy off-road use minimizes the risk of drivetrain issues. While beating on the PTU or Viscous Unit in extreme conditions could cause damage, most owners experience reliability when maintaining reasonable expectations, proper tires, and avoiding harsh conditions.