Engine Blown at 37k, Watch out

mbardsley

Ok, I do all my own maintenance, even if it is an engine or tranny rebuild. I am very good about oil and filters, but stupid me does NOT keep RECEIPTS. So i have a lifetime warrenty on a blown up engine, even though it did not run out of oil, and I always change bewteen 3500-4000. We went to the local rip off experts, Allen Samuels Dodge in Katy, TX. The lady in charge puts me through the 3rd degree, every question was designed to put myself into a trap. There are memo's out in the world, that have said that the dealerships must stop large warrenty repairs, and even have gone to state that they are not really responsible, since it is not the old dodge, but a fiat dodge, and bankruptcy can keep them from paying. OK MR OBAMA, you said you would uphold the warrenty.

Bottom line is DODGE sucks, and I have 3 more years to pay on a vehicle with no engine.

By the way, there are lots of strange engines blowing. My friend had a jeep, 2009, 3.7l v6, same thing as mine. No idoit lights, nothing, runs rough, cough, then dead

"Ok, I do all my own maintenance, even if it is an engine or tranny rebuild."

Was the car new? What size engine was it? How many miles did it have on it? When you say bad, do you mean the engine block and all is no good now? Did they even look at it and say what was wrong or what caused it?

We have the 2009 SXT, got it as a demo, NEW with 5k on it. 3.7L v6. We shot a rod through the block. Originally told me it had no oil in it, then they pulled the pan, about 2.5 to 3 qts in it, plus lots of metal. Still no cause, they are trying to get out of it. Arbitration is next.

Ok, I do all my own maintenance, even if it is an engine or tranny rebuild. I am very good about oil and filters, but stupid me does NOT keep RECEIPTS. So i have a lifetime warrenty on a blown up engine, even though it did not run out of oil, and I always change bewteen 3500-4000. We went to the local rip off experts, Allen Samuels Dodge in Katy, TX. The lady in charge puts me through the 3rd degree, every question was designed to put myself into a trap. There are memo's out in the world, that have said that the dealerships must stop large warrenty repairs, and even have gone to state that they are not really responsible, since it is not the old dodge, but a fiat dodge, and bankruptcy can keep them from paying. OK MR OBAMA, you said you would uphold the warrenty.

Bottom line is DODGE sucks, and I have 3 more years to pay on a vehicle with no engine.

By the way, there are lots of strange engines blowing. My friend had a jeep, 2009, 3.7l v6, same thing as mine. No idoit lights, nothing, runs rough, cough, then dead

Why would you not keep receipts? I know you admitted it, but how can you expect Dodge just to take you at your word? Not saying you didn't do the work, but its on you to prove it. Little consolation, I know, but you can't place all the blame on Dodge. Hopefully arbitration will work in your favor, or at least fix the Dodge so you can get rid of it and get something else. Good luck.

Go to the places where you got your oil changed and they SHOULD have all your car information. Where I get my oil changed (not the dealer) keeps a record of my car and what I had done to it plus they email me a copy of all the receiptes. Who ever did your maintance should have a record. I would think that the place that did your maintance would like to hear what they are saying because the dealer is pretty much blaming them for shotty work. As long as you never did anything yourself, I would think you will be alright. Hope it works out.

The warranty policies, procedures, and provisions regarding the required maintenance of a Chrysler vehicle is outlined in the vehicle's warranty manual. Quoting the book, "As the vehicle owner, you are reponsible for the performance of the required maintenance listed in your owner's manual. Chrysler recommends that you retain all receipts covering maintenance on your vehicle. ' Now paraphrasing, the book goes on further to mention that Chrysler cannot deny your warranty claim based solely on the failure to retain receipts. However, the next paragraph says that Chrysler can deny your warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to neglect, abuse, or improper maintenance. This is why it is so important to always keep receipts. That way, all questions can be answered, and any doubts can be eliminated.

And now for the good news. The vehicle in question is being repaired under the vehicle's lifetime powertrain warranty. The engine assembly is being replaced. Following several discussions with the manufacturer, several digital photographs of the failure, disassembly of the engine, detailed inspection of the failed parts, and a face-to-face with the factory representative, we were able to overcome the doubts regarding the possibility of the lack of maintenance. Although it took several days for this to occur, the end result is quite positive.

It makes us feel great when we can successfully help and win one for our customers.

DJService, are you from/work for Chrysler? (if so, it is nice to know you read the boards) :D

Yes. I skim the boards quite a bit actually. Helps to keep me in touch with our owners.

Patience is always key in situations like this. The factory is not out to get anyone or keep from paying for a warranty claim. It all boils down to a simple promise. They promise to warranty the vehicle as long as you promise not to abuse it, and maintain it as required. Recording your maintenance is key. Everything can be overcome with documentation. The hardest part in this case was finding the proof of maintenance without the documents. Fortunately, just as it is in most cases, it worked out for the benfit of the customer. We talked and provided visual images. They listened, and make the right decision.

Take care and drive safely.

Not just CDJ but all brands are behaving like this which is correct. You have your rights, but also oblogations and why should they thrust you on your word?

If you buy your car and you need to make monthly payments for it, you better make sure you get the right service, specially on the parts which are under warranty. What do you save on an oil change? $15.00, but I get a carwash for free at the dealer, and they always check some more, and warn you for upcoming costs.

You need more than oil to run the engine properly, and that is what they are checking.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you guys know, the so called manufacture rep, DJService, is the Service Manager of Allen Samuels Dodge in Katy texas. In all my years of buying, and servicing cars, I have NEVER been treated so poorly by any one, especially Jackie, his assistant.

By the way the car came in with a TPMS idiot light on, due to the new tires/rims, and it went out with 3 more lightd. Front right ABS sensor out, but we drove the car poorly, and its not under warrenty.

ANYONE in TEXAS, DO NOT USE THIS DEALER.

So after he came on here saying all those things about fixing your car, they are not going to fix it after all?!

Quote:

"Fortunately, just as it is in most cases, it worked out for the benfit of the customer."

It sure does not sound like it did. There has to be MORE to this story. What exactly happened?

Where/how did the talks breakdown? Was something found that proved it was owner error?

Why exactly was it denied?

So many questions.......I'm sure everyone is wonder the same thing.

So after he came on here saying all those things about fixing your car, they are not going to fix it after all?!

Quote:

"Fortunately, just as it is in most cases, it worked out for the benefit of the customer."

It sure does not sound like it did. There has to be MORE to this story. What exactly happened?

Where/how did the talks breakdown? Was something found that proved it was owner error?

Why exactly was it denied?

So many questions.......I'm sure everyone is wonder the same thing.

Greetings everyone. Hope all is well with your Journeys.

The vehicle mentioned in this thread has been repaired (not denied) with a new engine. That new engine was paid for by Chrysler, not the owner. That new engine was paid for by Chrysler under the factory powertrain warranty due to extensive communications by the dealer with the factory representative (just as I previously posted). I prefer not to dive into further detail about the comments and accusations that have been flying around about proper treatment. I know how it was handled, and it was proper, sincere, and professional from start to finish. We worked hard to the benefit of the customer.

However, I will say this...

Components that are missing (ALL TPMS), installed upside down (LEFT BRAKE CALIPER), clogged up (AIR FILTER), and lit up by warning lights (WHEEL SPEED SENSOR) were all noted and the owner was provided the opportunity for repair. ALL DECLINED BY THE OWNER. Dealer did not install the customer wheels, did not perform the brake job in the owner's driveway, did not forget to replace the air filter, and did not make the sensor fail. We went to bat for the customer, defended his actions for self-maintenance, and kept money (close to $6,000.00) in his pocket because WE felt it was the right thing to do.

Everyone drive safely.

Greetings everyone. Hope all is well with your Journeys.

The vehicle mentioned in this thread has been repaired (not denied) with a new engine. That new engine was paid for by Chrysler, not the owner. That new engine was paid for by Chrysler under the factory powertrain warranty due to extensive communications by the dealer with the factory representative (just as I previously posted). I prefer not to dive into further detail about the comments and accusations that have been flying around about proper treatment. I know how it was handled, and it was proper, sincere, and professional from start to finish. We worked hard to the benefit of the customer.

However, I will say this...

Components that are missing (ALL TPMS), installed upside down (LEFT BRAKE CALIPER), clogged up (AIR FILTER), and lit up by warning lights (WHEEL SPEED SENSOR) were all noted and the owner was provided the opportunity for repair. ALL DECLINED BY THE OWNER. Dealer did not install the customer wheels, did not perform the brake job in the owner's driveway, did not forget to replace the air filter, and did not make the sensor fail. We went to bat for the customer, defended his actions for self-maintenance, and kept money (close to $6,000.00) in his pocket because WE felt it was the right thing to do.

Everyone drive safely.

Guys take a clear look at this poster. First time to sign up was when my vehicle went in, and I made multiple comments on the history of brekes and such, as we have shared on this board. He signed up then, the only posts he made was on my problem. and his sign up date is the same, interesting, dont blow smoke up our butts. TPMS monitors our off, because we got rid of the 19" rims and thoose terrible Komo tires. The rim guys wanted to charge a arm and leg to put sensors in. Air filter is in my garage, as is new oil for the exact replacement time.

Also, we just had a front alignment done 2 days before engine service, and our texas safety inspection also, amazing there are no indications of ABS sensors out. We would not have passes inspections on the systems. And how do you install a brake caliper upside down, ????.

What lengths does this crappy dealer go to defending the POOR customer service. I was handed a dirty greasy car, with idoits lights on, and when I started ranting and getting pissed, they told me it was my fault, and get off property the sherrif would be called. Way to go Allen Samuels of KATY. Take a look at RIP-OFF-REPORTS, and the BBS sites, they have a reputations.

Guys take a clear look at this poster. First time to sign up was when my vehicle went in, and I made multiple comments on the history of brekes and such, as we have shared on this board. He signed up then, the only posts he made was on my problem. and his sign up date is the same, interesting, dont blow smoke up our butts. TPMS monitors our off, because we got rid of the 19" rims and thoose terrible Komo tires. The rim guys wanted to charge a arm and leg to put sensors in. Air filter is in my garage, as is new oil for the exact replacement time.

Also, we just had a front alignment done 2 days before engine service, and our texas safety inspection also, amazing there are no indications of ABS sensors out. We would not have passes inspections on the systems. And how do you install a brake caliper upside down, ????.

What lengths does this crappy dealer go to defending the POOR customer service. I was handed a dirty greasy car, with idoits lights on, and when I started ranting and getting pissed, they told me it was my fault, and get off property the sherrif would be called. Way to go Allen Samuels of KATY. Take a look at RIP-OFF-REPORTS, and the BBS sites, they have a reputations.

Can we see a picture of an upside down brake caliper? Never seen one of those before and I've been fixing cars since 1978.

Can we see a picture of an upside down brake caliper? Never seen one of those before and I've been fixing cars since 1978.

LOL, I know, I was stumped about that one, so took the wheel off, what it was I had spun it 180, so there was a slight twist in the rubber brake line, so removed it, and twisted it 180 degrees. Far different from upside down, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your problem with your Journey. Obviously extremely frustrating, but I can tell you that I have not seen that concern in my part of the country. However, I would be happy to do some research and see if I can locate an answer for you. I have your post, but a few more things would help me out. Can you send me your VIN through the private channel on the forum? I will look at TSB's, check with my local factory technical advisor, and search our STAR system for like cases throughout the nation. Maybe I can find you some answers that will resolve your concerns.

Regarding the brakes, YES there is a concern at low miles. I have seen quite a few. The factory is aware of it but at this point I have no further information on this topic.

Like I said, I know you are very upset and frustrated. The offer to try and find you some positive resolution is for real, not full of bull. Some dealers are there to help you.

Take care and have a great Sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to do all my service myself until I started to buy new vehicles instead of used vehicles.

I have found that using the approved dealership can cost a bit more, but it pays off in the long run. They are much more willing to stand behind the product than if you get the vehicle serviced elsewhere or do it yourself. I have even found thatif the dealer relationship is good, it does not matter if you have aftermarket accessories installed as the dealer will go to bat for you with the Company. For me, my last few cars have all been dealer serviced and I continue to do so. Makes getting warranty repairs so much easier.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do all my service myself until I started to buy new vehicles instead of used vehicles.

I have found that using the approved dealership can cost a bit more, but it pays off in the long run. They are much more willing to stand behind the product than if you get the vehicle serviced elsewhere or do it yourself. I have even found thatif the dealer relationship is good, it does not matter if you have aftermarket accessories installed as the dealer will go to bat for you with the Company. For me, my last few cars have all been dealer serviced and I continue to do so. Makes getting warranty repairs so much easier.

Just my 2 cents worth.

We had that great relationship, but Chrysler took that way, they closed 3 of archer motors dealerships, left him with a Volks, and GMC, He had 2 dodge, and one jeep. We were great friends with the owners. Good people, sorry they killed his business, and left Allen samuals alive in all theres. They could have down 1 or 2 of both them, not fare, but now we have to drive 15 miles away. But the other dealer found what the IDOITS did, and fixed it. Forgot to plug something in.

• 3 years later...

our 09 (original owners) just died this weekend, service advisor said he has a chunk of metal on desk from motor..

wants the service records... I do my own oil changes, but do not save receipts. Had daughters car in for an oil change, and they stripped the oil plug and tried to blame me, so I do all my own oil changes with mobil 1, and under the 6000 recommended mileage.

I do have the mileage log, and the oil I put in, but I always use 10W-30 mobil 1 extended in her car.. Hope that it will not be a huge fight.. we are loyal Dodge owners, but this might be the last one for her.

we had lots of problems with the trans puking fluid all over the motor before.

was just about ready to change oil again, when it happened.