UConnect phonebook name entries disappear

Hi everyone,

So I've had my Journey for a couple of months and have not had to use my Uconnect service too often, and when I do, it's mostly incoming calls. But, because the option is there, I've taken the time to add entries to the phonebook. I have a paired phone that never has a problem connecting, and I've gone through the voice training. I went into the uconnect phone system, into the phonebook and selected the option to add a new entry. I called it "house" and spoke the number. I said to make the number 'home' for this entry and didn't add any other numbers to this entry. I then did the same for about 10 - 15 friends and family that would be a contact I may need to call while on the road.

Well, it seems the next day that when I try to "Call House" I get a response saying that there are no entries in the phonebook with this name. I try again, but same message. I ask the phonebook to list all names, and the numbers are all there, and are all repeated to me, but none of them have the name I had originally stored for each entry. I've readded my 'house' number several times but it keeps disappearing.

Is it possible that when the car is turned off and the key removed that the name is being deleted? My only issue with this theory is that if the name were deleted, I would expect the number to be deleted as well, but it isn't.

Any thoughts?

If you say 'call house' as one command it won't recognize it. Try saying 'call' wait for the prompt for the name and say 'house' or 'home' or whatever it is called. If this is what you are doing and it is not working, then I say there is an issue. This way works in mine.

It sounds like it is not storing the names that are assigned at all. Perhaps it is being done wrong.

from the manual.:

² Press the PHONE button to begin.

² After the 9Ready9 prompt and the following beep, say "Phonebook New Entry. "

² When prompted, say the name of the new entry. Use of long names helps the voice recognition and it is recommended. For example, say "Robert Smith" or "Robert" instead of "Bob".

² When prompted, enter the number designation (e.g., "Home", "Work," "Mobile," or "Pager"). This will allow you to store multiple numbers for each phonebook entry, if desired.

² When prompted, recite the phone number for the phonebook entry that you are adding. After you are finished adding an entry into the phonebook, you will be given the opportunity to add more

phone numbers to the current entry or to return to the main menu.

The UConnectt system will allow you to enter up to 32 names in the phonebook with each name having up to four associated phone numbers and designations. Each language has a separate 32-name phonebook accessible only in that language.

Thx for the reply Bugs. I did try your suggestion and waited for the prompt after saying 'call' but the name still isn't stored. My concern with this theory, is that saying "Call House" is the same concept as saying "Phonebook New Entry" as advised in the manual, so saying "Call House" should work. So, this morning I used phonebook new entry and added my home number and called it "house" and stored it in the "home" entry (options were Home, Work, Mobile, Pager?). I then went back to the radio and clicked the Uconnect button, and spoke "Call house" and it dialed no problem, so that method works when there's a name stored. I was in and out of the car several times, removing the key from the ignition each time and so far it is still working. I will test it again tonight, and into tomorrow to see if/when it fails again. I'll keep you posted.

Thx for the reply Bugs. I did try your suggestion and waited for the prompt after saying 'call' but the name still isn't stored. My concern with this theory, is that saying "Call House" is the same concept as saying "Phonebook New Entry" as advised in the manual, so saying "Call House" should work. So, this morning I used phonebook new entry and added my home number and called it "house" and stored it in the "home" entry (options were Home, Work, Mobile, Pager?). I then went back to the radio and clicked the Uconnect button, and spoke "Call house" and it dialed no problem, so that method works when there's a name stored. I was in and out of the car several times, removing the key from the ignition each time and so far it is still working. I will test it again tonight, and into tomorrow to see if/when it fails again. I'll keep you posted.

Dont you have to say: "Call John Home" or something like that. I have only used the uconnect a couple of times. But I think that was what I did.

/Andreas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same problem on a 2009 Chrysler 300C. I see something on the "Unofficial MyGig" site that says there is a patch for Hard Drive corruption that affects the voice part of the Hard Drive. I'm going to download the patch and see if it fixes the problem. Will post later with results.

• 2 months later...

Same problem here! My wife has re-created her phonebook entries many times. The system records the name she speaks and attaches it to the phone number. It works great for a while- just say the person's name and it recognizes it and dials the number. It works even if a different person says the name (even though my voice is very different from my wife's, it still recognizes the name recorded by my wife) and dials the right number. Very impressive, until after a few days, BAM! all the names are forgotten! It still has the phone entry with the phone number, but the voice name tag that was assigned to the number is gone. Dealer, of course, has no idea and has never heard of this problem.

• 1 month later...

Same problem here. I think it is a fault with the UConnect system. Sometimes when I power up the car, the clock display start as --|-- and then sets the time, other times the clock display is correct. My guess is that when the clock display starts at --|-- the UConnect has been reset and the address book is lost. Another weird thing I've noticed is that when the address book is lost, if I ask it to list the entries, it seems to have the numbers without the names!

• 2 weeks later...