RPMs 1500-1800, and then jumps to 3000.

leaning

2009 Dodge Journey. Driving down the road 30-60 MPH, RPMs at 1500-2000 or so, and then out of nowhere, the engine is screaming and the RPMs are 3000+ with the same MPH. 

Come off the gas, the RPMs drop from 3000 to 1500. Barely touch the gas, and RPMs ramp quicky to 3000ish. 

If I stop and turn the car off and restart it, I can drive normally, but then you never know and then you are back at 3000 with the RPMs dropping and raising with the tiniest pedal push. 

Took to transmission company and they had it for two days and drove it and said they could not duplicate the problem. I picked the car up tonight, went a few miles, Check Engine Ligt came on, and RPMs started revving again. 

Back to transmission shop. They want to check the code. Anybody seen this before?

Edited by leaning
Edit wording

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 8:06 PM, leaning said:

2009 Dodge Journey. Driving down the road 30-60 MPH, RPMs at 1500-2000 or so, and then out of nowhere, the engine is screaming and the RPMs are 3000+ with the same MPH. 

Come off the gas, the RPMs drop from 3000 to 1500. Barely touch the gas, and RPMs ramp quicky to 3000ish. 

If I stop and turn the car off and restart it, I can drive normally, but then you never know and then you are back at 3000 with the RPMs dropping and raising with the tiniest pedal push. 

Took to transmission company and they had it for two days and drove it and said they could not duplicate the problem. I picked the car up tonight, went a few miles, Check Engine Ligt came on, and RPMs started revving again. 

Back to transmission shop. They want to check the code. Anybody seen this before?

Have you recently had a tune up? Could possibly be from old/faulty spark plugs causing engine misfire and rough idle. Probably also why they couldn’t find an issue with the trans. 

wouldn't be the plugs with the eng reving up that high so quick, this needs to go to a mechanic so they can pull the codes and find out the problem please report back on what you find out for others that might have this happen..good luck