Transmission slipping

It’s me again… currently facing transmission slippage. Noticed this on the highway when around 75mph it’ll slip trying engaging into 6 gear then it’ll catch. Started about a week ago after I added transmission fluid. With that happening, I siphoned out some atf, still slipping. I got a code for p0729 (incorrect gear 6 ratio). I googled/YouTubed how to check the fluid, based off what I seen, it was low so thought maybe it actually needed more… dumb mistake. Now I’m experiencing slippage in 3rd (P0733). I drained all the fluid. I pulled about 3Qts out. No difference. Is it that I added too much or didn’t add enough?

All my past experience with trans slippage means you will need a new trans in your future, no amount of fluid or magic trans fluids will help, but my 2001 dodge truck went a long time before i bothered to get it fixed ,of course i was going easy on it and not racing it... maybe someone else can pipe in with a  better idea........just curious but how many miles on it and have you had the trans serviced before all this happening,,,,,also there is a youtube video on how to mark your oil dipstick so you can check your trans fluid i did mine yrs ago just so i could check it every once in a while......watch this guys videos also at the 10;00 mark he shows how to mark your dipstick........

Edited by 2late4u

5 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

All my past experience with trans slippage means you will need a new trans in your future, no amount of fluid or magic trans fluids will help, but my 2001 dodge truck went a long time before i bothered to get it fixed ,of course i was going easy on it and not racing it... maybe someone else can pipe in with a  better idea

I just got it replaced not even a year ago, it was under the warranty I got when I bought the car but I no longer have the warranty. My mind just went to it being more of a quick fix thing since is has only been happening after I added fluid. 

18 minutes ago, JustDodge said:

I just got it replaced not even a year ago, it was under the warranty I got when I bought the car but I no longer have the warranty. My mind just went to it being more of a quick fix thing since is has only been happening after I added fluid. 

.actually i just went out and checked mine second time since i had had my trans serviced at the dealership, once at 60 k and then again at 100k and the fluid was right in the middle after i took it for a drive to heat the trans up

30 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

.actually i just went out and checked mine second time since i had had my trans serviced at the dealership, once at 60 k and then again at 100k and the fluid was right in the middle after i took it for a drive to heat the trans up

Yeah I just used the engine oil dipstick to measure it at cold. It should level just barely below the curve on dipstick. My level was where it should be hot, at cold. So definitely too much. Hopefully after I drain it, it’s not slipping because I can’t get a new transmission right now :( im also at 167k. Last year in august I just got transmission replaced. No issues prior until me “topping it off”. I had just watched multiple videos including this one. So that’s how I was at the conclusion of it being too much atf

Edited by JustDodge

easy way to remove fluid is thur the dipstick tube harbor freight has a cheap pump to remove oil and such, i used one on my daughter's mail vehicle i would remove the fluid into a plastic coke bottle that way i always knew how much i removed then to re add the new fluid

6 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

easy way to remove fluid is thur the dipstick tube harbor freight has a cheap pump to remove oil and such, i used one on my daughter's mail vehicle i would remove the fluid into a plastic coke bottle that way i always knew how much i removed then to re add the new fluid

I actually bought a pump yesterday, like a siphon pump… didn’t work. I literally used a clear tubing and just sucked the oil out. I had a 7QT pan that’s literally almost full. The odd thing is I don’t even think I put more than a qt of atf in there. So I wonder if it was overfilled when I got my transmission replaced?

• 3 months later...

My 2016 sxt with 120k kms just started doing this 2 days ago. Goes to shift into 6th and slips a little then catches itself. Doesn't always do it but I can feel it when it does. Almost like a loss of power thing. 

Seeing as how I never changed my transmission fluid and filter on it yet, I figure this is a good time to do so lol. Ordered the parts. Will update on if it helped or not. Not too worried. This transmission has always had weird little hesitation / stutter issues since getting it at 50k kms. Worst case if it gets worse, I go to the dealer and trade it in lol