REPLACE your 2 piece LUG NUTS!!!

DodgeaWrench

On a previous thread for my power steering cooler replacement we also got into a discussion regarding the 2 piece lug nuts on the DJ.  Its been discussed multiple times on the forum, but I feel I should post my experience separately to re-remind everyone of the issue.

*** If you have 2 piece lug nuts on your DJ - replace them or risk being stranded if you experience a flat tire on the road.. ***

(For me, this became an issue, during the not the best of weather, on a Sunday afternoon, when the tire needed to be removed to accomplish a non-related repair.)

Generally, I'm a DIY'er, and If I experience a flat on the road, I will change it myself, on the spot, on the road.  Although, switching to getting my oil changed, I often use a local tire store service center to do the oil change and have the tires rotated as its included with the LOF.

I mention this as sometimes it seems they over torque the lug nuts during the rotation.   They too will mention 2 piece lug nuts can be a pain in the arse.

There are many, many, youtube videos, complaints, law suits, and even recalls across multiple OEMs on these 2-piece lug nuts.  (I'm not aware of any recalls with the DJ.

As mentioned earlier, this Spring I experienced the issue, but I'll jump ahead to when I was swapping out the 2-piece lug nuts.  Between the 2 piece nut issue,  many rotations over the years, possibly being over-torqued from a somewhat recent rotation, possibly rougher surfaces between the nut and wheel due to age (2014 DJ), and I'm getting older, the defective nuts were EXTREMELY difficult me to remove, to replace, in my driveway.  Eventually using additional hand tools, I was able to accomplish the task, but my point is, that if I were on the side of the road, with a flat, I would not have had the additional tools in hand (different sockets, hammer, longer breaker bar, etc) to remove the lug nuts.  I would have been stranded.  (I do carry a longer non-OEM tire iron, in the car, but it was not enough.)

Murphys law also includes that when things go bad (ie flat tire), its always Sunday night, in the rain or cold, in a bad place, out-of-town, ...

I used McGard 64012 one piece replacements, purchased from Amazon.  They come in 4-packs.  I don't use any locking nuts, (5) 4-packs are needed.

While researching the lug nut issue, (luckily or unluckily) I also can across that Ford also used these nuts and my wife's Ford Escape has them.  There are just as many complaints on the Escape forum.  I've since replace those too.  The Escape used the exact same McGard model replacement.  Her car is relatively new and the 2 piece nuts came off like butter.

In the upcoming weeks, on the DJ I will take a moment to confirm these can be removed with just the tools I carry in the car.  Arguably I should not have to, but I also will try to remember to check the nuts, to torgue specs, after a rotation.

644e7d723ed34_DJMcGardLugNuts.thumb.JPG.f09b117244c5be51647ca2b8d937b3d4.JPG

Be safe, be proactive, check your nuts.  :drool:

38 minutes ago, DodgeaWrench said:

On a previous thread for my power steering cooler replacement we also got into a discussion regarding the 2 piece lug nuts on the DJ.  Its been discussed multiple times on the forum, but I feel I should post my experience separately to re-remind everyone of the issue.

*** If you have 2 piece lug nuts on your DJ - replace them or risk being stranded if you experience a flat tire on the road.. ***

(For me, this became an issue, during the not the best of weather, on a Sunday afternoon, when the tire needed to be removed to accomplish a non-related repair.)

Generally, I'm a DIY'er, and If I experience a flat on the road, I will change it myself, on the spot, on the road.  Although, switching to getting my oil changed, I often use a local tire store service center to do the oil change and have the tires rotated as its included with the LOF.

I mention this as sometimes it seems they over torque the lug nuts during the rotation.   They too will mention 2 piece lug nuts can be a pain in the arse.

There are many, many, youtube videos, complaints, law suits, and even recalls across multiple OEMs on these 2-piece lug nuts.  (I'm not aware of any recalls with the DJ.

As mentioned earlier, this Spring I experienced the issue, but I'll jump ahead to when I was swapping out the 2-piece lug nuts.  Between the 2 piece nut issue,  many rotations over the years, possibly being over-torqued from a somewhat recent rotation, possibly rougher surfaces between the nut and wheel due to age (2014 DJ), and I'm getting older, the defective nuts were EXTREMELY difficult me to remove, to replace, in my driveway.  Eventually using additional hand tools, I was able to accomplish the task, but my point is, that if I were on the side of the road, with a flat, I would not have had the additional tools in hand (different sockets, hammer, longer breaker bar, etc) to remove the lug nuts.  I would have been stranded.  (I do carry a longer non-OEM tire iron, in the car, but it was not enough.)

Murphys law also includes that when things go bad (ie flat tire), its always Sunday night, in the rain or cold, in a bad place, out-of-town, ...

I used McGard 64012 one piece replacements, purchased from Amazon.  They come in 4-packs.  I don't use any locking nuts, (5) 4-packs are needed.

While researching the lug nut issue, (luckily or unluckily) I also can across that Ford also used these nuts and my wife's Ford Escape has them.  There are just as many complaints on the Escape forum.  I've since replace those too.  The Escape used the exact same McGard model replacement.  Her car is relatively new and the 2 piece nuts came off like butter.

In the upcoming weeks, on the DJ I will take a moment to confirm these can be removed with just the tools I carry in the car.  Arguably I should not have to, but I also will try to remember to check the nuts, to torgue specs, after a rotation.

644e7d723ed34_DJMcGardLugNuts.thumb.JPG.f09b117244c5be51647ca2b8d937b3d4.JPG

Be safe, be proactive, check your nuts.  :drool:

i have replaced mine as well BUT because the tire shop idiots ruined most of them in one visit in which i posted on here, the manager replaced them at half cost on their behalf..but i also had replaced them on my daughters mail vehicle as well as they were deforming due to all the tire changes and repairs on her van, that said she has just received her post office vehicles so Hooray i dont have to do anymore repairs on it.......only tools i carry for my tires is a 24 inch breaker bar from harbor freight and a 19 mm socket and at home i have a 18 inch torque wrench bar for the wheels  90-100 lbs is not that hard to do without over torquing there nuts as you would think......P.S.  using a impact gun is what will deform the 2 pc lugs the most as most tire place sockets are made one side 19mm and the other side 19.5 and if the is the wrong side or try to torqe the lugs with a impact gun IT will deform the lugs real quick

Aluminum rims you should always retorque after 30 miles or so. Owners manual even states that.

Sometimes there are more than one socket size options with the correct thread size nut. It’s nice to match the factory tire iron wrench if possible.  So you don’t have to buy a different wrench. 

In salt belt areas I think the two piece nuts are even worse, seems to swell the chromed sleeve so socket won’t fit.  Or impact gun distorts nut. These nuts often only last 3-4 years.  My son has a Journey and a Ford Fusion, both needed replacement. I put one drop of oil on the lug threads, helps prevent seizing a bit.