Replaced Thermostat Twice

Bosco

My 2014 Dodge Journey began overheating. I relaced the water housing/thermostat and it was running great. Now 2 weeks later same thing happened. This time I took it to the shop, the inspected and said it was the thermostat. I said I just changed it and they said it may have been faulty. So I replaced it again. It was running fine and now began overheating. All symptoms the same. Now I have flushed the cooling system thinking maybe there was a blockage. It's still overheating. Do I need to replace it a 3rd time now the system has been flushed? Any ideas what might be going on? This time the coolant was very low before I flushed it. Please help.

I will GUESS you are working with a 3.6 V6 motor? 

More background info like engine, rear heat system or not, mileage and what kind of weather conditions would be very helpful for more than just guesses in response.

Throwing in parts gets very expensive, you may want to find a better shop for a more thorough diagnosis.  

IF truly overheating {and resultant COOLANT LOSS} which you have not yet confirmed....

Air entrapment in the cooling system will cause "overheating" symptoms. It take time and bleeding out trapped air by slowly filling the system and letting air purge out. These motors do NOT take well to "fill and go" coolant fills. You have rear heat with coolant lines that go all the back to the RR corner and back, LOTS of room for air to get "stuck" in.

As a CHEAP addition to what you have done, I'd suggest a new cap for the restank/fill point.

When does it overheat? All the time. When sitting at idle. While at highway speeds.

Does the engine cooling fan come on?

What is the coolant level? Do you see a coolant leak?

What does the engine oil look like? Is it full? low? Overfilled?

Do you have a pressure tester?

• 1 year later...

We have replaced the coolant thermostat three times now, and now we are being told thermostat housing melted to block, after repair found cylinder head gasket is excessively blown. Found coolant purges from cooling system while running due to exhaust gasses leaking into cooling system. Would this be caused due the thermostat not doing what it's supposed to be doing in the first place. And now it's going to cause thousands of dollars to fix my car. 

8 hours ago, Delia said:

We have replaced the coolant thermostat three times now, and now we are being told thermostat housing melted to block, after repair found cylinder head gasket is excessively blown. Found coolant purges from cooling system while running due to exhaust gasses leaking into cooling system. Would this be caused due the thermostat not doing what it's supposed to be doing in the first place. And now it's going to cause thousands of dollars to fix my car. 

Would be nice to know what engine size, but I will ASSUME the 2.4 4 cylinder motor. And YES a bad head gasket improperly diagnosed as thermostat will make replacement thermostats go bad also. Sorry for your major repair expense, as head gasket AND possible warped head is a very costly repair bill. You might want to think about a good used motor to be installed verses repairing the one you have.

12 hours ago, Delia said:

lkq is a big used part /engine supplier