2012 Rear differential amount and type

giannid

I've got a 2012 V6 AWD that I need to do a full service.  Did a search for the type and amount of gear oil the rear differential uses with not a lot of good results.  Anyone know what type and quantity it uses.  Also, is there a write up to do the job.  Not a lot of information on the AWD model.

Look closely at magnetic drain plug. Should only have fine fur on it, no larger particle size metal shavings.

Just less than a quart, around 0.8 lire I believe.  Use good quality gear oil, factory fluid is semi synthetic.

Look closely at the three lip seals, one on each half shaft and the other on output shaft; shouldn’t be any active drips.  So dump and fill and inspection of seals.

Edited by John/Horace

actually the old fill it till it runs out the top hole MIGHT not be the right advise...MY daughters 2016 jeep i seen the right front axle seal was leaking at the outer edge so i cleaned it up the best i could and then refilled the front differential and since it was still covered under warranty we took it too the dealership, and they at first said it wasnt leaking as there was no grease being sung into the wheel well but i corrected the service adviser to go look at the wheel well and look real close, as i had wrote down on the drop off form that i had cleaned it up but they could easily see a lot of grease was still left there,so they went ahead and repaired the seal and then they said well you over filled the difff and i could have damaged it by doing that so i told them well i just had to put almost a whole bottle of lube in there since it was almost dry and that i just filled it till it ran out the top hole and they said well that is the old advise but they said there is supposed to be just a certain amount and then some room for expansion as the diff were not built like the older models and didnt leave room if filled to the top....oh well at least that was there stance