2014 Journey dies when put in R or D

Alex Tasso

2014 Journey SXT with 117k miles dies when put in reverse or drive. Starts up no problem, engine runs while in park. No smell, only sound is a repetitive soft clicking noise from the engine compartment. Not sure if it’s the transmission or an intake port or egr valve (though I just had it smogged and it was fine)

It starts up and idles in Park just fine. It is not driveable. When the car is shifted into either Reverse or Drive, it dies. I had it towed to my girls house so her mechanic can look at it, but the tow truck driver thinks it might be the throttle body sensor being gunked up or dirty. Yes, it happened suddenly. When it happened, I was stopped at a red light. Then the car lurched forward slightly and the engine shut off. All the electrical components and A/C still work as well.

Edited by Alex Tasso

2 hours ago, larryl said:

Low Fluid .clogged filter....could be several things has the fluid and filter ever been changed?

Just bought it from a private seller about three weeks ago. The thing ran just fine. Took it to jiffy Lube who did all the fluids on it right after I got it. Carfax showed service on them a few years earlier