Weird noise from transaxle, worse when warmed up, all gears including park

warlox

Hello I am new here. I signed up because I have an unusual problem that not even Google has an answer for.

I have a 2011 Journey Mainstreet AWD. I had a noise that started 2 days ago. The noise sounds just like a power steering system that's low on fluid. I could tell the noise was coming from the left side (opposite the Power steering unit) I made the assumption that the noise was due to low transaxle fluid. I have the tool and scanner to check the level of the transaxle and it is right where it should be. The noise seems to start after reaching operating temp. Happens in lower gears and in park. It may be that I just can't hear it in higher gears at highway speeds?

Here's what I know for sure.

1. I checked power steering fluid and transaxle fluid and both are full

2. I removed serpentine belt and noise is still present

3. I scanned the computer and I have no p0700 or any transmission codes at all

4. Transmission fluid is a little dark, doesn't have any type of burnt smell and has no signs of metallic debris

5. Took my stethoscope and listened and the noise can be heard clear as can be when I listen at the dipstick tube as well as the side cover near the drivers front leaf wheel

6. Transaxle shifts fine. No erratic shifting, no hard shifts, nothing unusual about the shift patterns

7. I also notice if I turn the steering wheel to the stops on either side and leave it there that the another slight knocking? type sound can be heard. I tried this with the serpentine belt on and off the car and it doesn't change at all. I also used my stethoscope on the steering rack and power steering pump and can't hear the noise.

8. Once the noise starts It will increase in volume when I accelerate from a stop , but will also increase when sitting at idle in park and I rev the engine

9. I can tell 100% that the noise is internal to the transaxle , just not sure why turning the wheel changes the noise? The other mystery is why is there no noise at all when starting the vehicle cold. Or once the noise stops if I just shut the vehicle off for 2 minutes or more the noise will go away until the temp. of engine rises again? I have also been keeping an eye on transaxle temp and it stays around 190 degrees at full engine operating temperature??

10. When you here the noise it sounds almost exaclty like a power steering pump that's low on fluid

I'll buy you a beer if you can help me solve this. I put about 6000 miles a month on this vehicle and I really need it for work, but at this time I am afraid it's going to leave me stranded.

-A '11 model with no odometer mileage posted OR if you have ever had the trans FILTER or oil replaced. Do NOT "power flush" the trans oil, it WILL cause more problems Frop the pan and change the filter and replenish the ATF +4 trans oil. An original filter gets "dirty" and reduces needed flow when "hot" (warmed up from use) thus starving the rest of the trans from needed lubricant. START THER (it is also the least invasive and expensive thing to do.

Welcome to the site. If sound wasn’t there in park when revved up I would have said wheel bearing. Removing surpentine belt was also a good move.  Hydraulic whine could be from the fluid pump and torque converter inside tranny. So fluid and filter like 5rebel9 is saying. These transmissions are used in the big Promaster cargo vans until last year, so they aren’t necessarily fragile.

You could remove drive shaft and drive car to see if it’s related to front ptu.  Long shot. How many miles on vehicle.?

There is a cheap version of Atf+4 and then a more expensive full synthetic one,  try the better one.

I hope you are working on your Journey's situation and not just being a "one post wonder". Also meant to say that by DROPPING the pan, you will know right away that it's BAD if you find bits of metal and grindings laying in the pan. That is the place to start looking for any auto trans.   ....   When are you going to send me my BEER??????    :)

• 3 months later...

Hey I wanted to let everyone know that I pulled my trans pan and didn't see any excessive material in pan or on the magnet or filter. I replaced the filter and problem solved. Transaxle shifts fine and has for several thousand miles. No noise, no weird shifting at all.

I am an ASE master technician FYI, but this car has been a nightmare for me. I never worked for Dodge but have worked for several other manufacturers.

Now I have a weird cooling system problem and I am desperate for answers

As far as my new issue I think someone may have gotten me on the right path, If you read my latest comments "because I do not want to type it all over again LAZY"  Let me know what you think about my theory when you get time. I do have to question your decision making though because of the Bug Light, I took you for a micro-brew . If you get a chance you must try https://beerconnoisseur.com/beer/mothers-brewing-co/milf its to die for.  Although I stopped drinking a few years ago, I developed an allergy, I break out in handcuffs and iron bars ; {

7 hours ago, warlox said:

As far as my new issue I think someone may have gotten me on the right path, If you read my latest comments "because I do not want to type it all over again LAZY"  Let me know what you think about my theory when you get time. I do have to question your decision making though because of the Bug Light, I took you for a micro-brew . If you get a chance you must try https://beerconnoisseur.com/beer/mothers-brewing-co/milf its to die for.  Although I stopped drinking a few years ago, I developed an allergy, I break out in handcuffs and iron bars ; {

Nah, just an old FORMER US MARINE. I didn't want to go "big" and come across as some "uppity" sort!   .... ROFL    :hat_tip:

Actually, I'm not much of a "drinker" now for over 20 years other than for a special occasion!

and yes I concur with the responses given and what was posted for the heat exchanger on the oil filter housing. May be best to replace the whole unit and seals.

Edited by 5rebel9