How much black goo on transmission magnet is too much?

DJDiggler

I finally did a transmission drain and filter change, (125000km/77600miles), and was a bit shocked to see a lot of black metal goo on the magnet.  There are no metal shavings, just the fine black goo.  Does this seem like a lot?  Never had any shifting issues but 2 times over the years we had a P0868 low trans fluid pressure code.   Both times on long trips, checked fliud levels ok, cleared code, drove fine and code never came back. 

Any thoughts appreciated! 

20220710_112504.jpg

20220710_112515.jpg

Looks maybe slightly more than I had on wife’s Journey at similar milage. It’s from the clutch packs wearing I believe.

The color and smell of fluid matters more, no strong burned smell and not very dark are better indicators.  Are you towing with the 3.6 very much?  Dump and fill still leaves a lot of old fluid in the torque converter. With a Princess auto/Harbour Freight siphon pump you can remove through the fill tube about 3 litres of oil. I do that a few days after doing pan and filter. ATF4 is not that pricy fortunately.

Ours has never showed any codes yet, but has started to hesitate to down shift some times.  Going to change the torque converter clutch solenoid behind the front cover like others have done.  There are links in this site about it.  Car at 220k kms now. Oem Mopar part is only about $35. Five minute dry, pan gasket sealant can be used over rtv.

We do tow a small utility trailer once in a while to haul our camping gear... and haul 2 kyacks and 3 kids around so the journey is usually pretty loaded up.  I guess I should have done the service sooner. ☹️. Fluid didn't seem burnt but I think I will drain again as you recommend, fortunately I installed a pan with a drain plug so will be easy.  I got about 5.5L out last time so one more drain should be good?

Thanks for your help John! 

great that you got  drain on your trans pan,as most dont,,one thing i use to do yrs ago, the daughter had not done her trans service on her postal caravan so instead of dropping the pan and changing most of the fluid out (which can cause the trans to start acting up from what i have read) i would every so often use a suction tube down the trans filler tube and suck out about a quart or whatever amount i could get out, then i would add back the same amount of fresh fluid, it took several times but the fluid began to look red  again and she never had no problems with the trans slipping or anything by doing it slowly......would be a great way to do this to our trans since we have no dip stick and is a simple way of keeping the fluid fresher between having a trans service done 

Edited by 2late4u

Up until 2021 the Promaster van used this same 6 speed tranny, before going to a ZF 9 speed.   That’s 9,000 pounds full loaded weight rating. I don’t like the way it shift’s personally, but it should have the capacity to do more than what the Journey throws at it.  There are utube links with people with 500k on their original Promaster unit.