Replaced alternator and now it won't get over 2000 RPM

My battery wasn't charging so I replaced the Alternator. But now the engine idles well at first but after a bit gets rough and when in Drive, it won't get above 2000 RPM. No engine codes. No check engine light. I've tried unhooking the battery, waiting a couple hours and then negative first - then positive to see if that would help. No luck there. Any ideas? 

This is a 2010 Dodge Journey V6 3.5L 

Update: I wiggled and pushed together every sensor and connection I could see/reach, including side clip if alternator. This helped. I'm able to now drive as usual but the dash lights are still flickering from time to time. It's not the Alternator (brand new). I'm going to take my car in to parts store and ask them to load test my battery and help me find the map sensor (internet says that could be a culprit?). 

yes it is the alternator, just because it is new doesn't mean it isn't working correctly,i assume you got it from a local part store i would be checking with them to get a different one as you didnt have this problem till you changed it out,at least in my ,mind that is what i would be thinking

4 hours ago, JessinthePNW said:

Went to the parts store and the battery is only reading 11.8. They think bad alternator too. I'll work on getting it out again and replacing again. Thanks for your help.

sometimes its best to go with OEM parts with electrical parts , yes they cost more but they are more compatible than aftermarket components,,, your choice good luck

Make sure the smaller wire on alternator after install is giving alternator full battery voltage.

It the trigger or exciter wire for windings. Alt needs this feed full voltage to generate the 150 ish amps for the rest of vehicle.

If it’s only 8-10 volts alt can’t do it’s job; would need to trouble shoot wire harness for bad connection.