Does my vehicle have a separate transmission control module?

Hi to all Dodge forum members.

I have a 2013 Dodge Journey SXT, right-hand drive (Australia) with a 3.6lt petrol engine. It has a 6-speed automatic transmission that is experiencing random mishaps.

At times, when totally unexpected, the transmission will disengage (or selects neutral), and after a short period will re-engage, generally with a thump. I turn the car off for 5 minutes and all seams to resume OK. This can re-occur within minutes or it will disappear for a length of time.

I am almost certain it is the commands from either the transmission control module or the main ECU.

Firstly, I would like to know... Does this vehicle have a separate transmission control module or is the transmission controlled directly form the ECU?

Cheers, Jock the Rock

If you have no change the transmission fluid, drop the pan and change it, it may fixed your problem, Once I have a car with 160 000KM that was doing the same and 2 ATF changes fixed the problem, the car lasted 500 000 KM, I junked when the engine snap the timing chain, but transmission still was good.

On 5/14/2022 at 2:14 AM, luzmina said:

If you have no change the transmission fluid, drop the pan and change it, it may fixed your problem, Once I have a car with 160 000KM that was doing the same and 2 ATF changes fixed the problem, the car lasted 500 000 KM, I junked when the engine snap the timing chain, but transmission still was good.

Thank you. I suspected that the ECU does the transmission as well.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:51 PM, John/Horace said:

It’s built in to the main computer, they call it a power train control module or pcm.

You need to have someone scan and retrieve stored codes. Could be torque converter solenoid or various other sensors.

Thank you. I suspected that the ECU does the transmission as well.  I will need to look into the programming of this unit or replace it.

• 3 weeks later...

To read error codes on this transmission you need a code scanner connected do the engine module, and from there you can read transmission errors.  This can be the range sensor, inside the transmission, but i´m pretty sure you do not need to remove the transmission to test/replace it. Low oil level, oil pump or oil pressure sensor should be tested also ...