2009 dodge journey 3.5 Awd transfer case leaking

qwizzy

I have a 2009 dodge journey 3.5 Awd and i have been smelling gear oil.  So i crawl underneath and noticed that i have a leak. I can also wiggle it it has a lot of play. Can someone tell me if i need a new transer case or if a certain part needs to be replaced 20220501_135715.mp4

20220501_140303.jpg

20220501_140258.jpg

20220501_135843.jpg

i would assume there is a pressed in seal there where the shaft goes in the case. most garages ( transmission shops or dealership, or even part stores ) or would be able to tell you that for sure, good luck i am sure someone with more advice will chime in soon with better info

Looks like output shaft lip seal is leaking.  First thing is to figure out if you have enough oil in ptu unit to keep driving temporarily until it’s fixed. 

People have posted on site how to dump and fill the 75w90 through vent hose line, slow and tedious, but better than trying to use the factory refill plug that is crazy to get at on the 3.6 engine, 3.5 might be different. Oil capacity is just less than a quart on 3.6 unit  about 800 milli litres full. No dipstick so dump and fill is only way to determine current level.

It’s possible  drive shaft can be removed and new seal can be installed with unit in place if leak is caught early and unit doesn’t have major damage. Usually it’s cheaper to get a auto recycler used ptu  then to rebuild or buy new ptu (power take off unit).

Look for metal shavings on the magnet drain plug and in the oil that is dumped out. If only a few drips over night,  a refill might give you time to check around for quotes.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2009,journey,3.5l+v6,1442283,drivetrain,transfer+case+output+shaft+seal,8440

1C84AA28-0CD6-4E8E-BD43-FD43208A7CED.jpeg.f5facd9187a80e4d742f0096f62d8ef6.jpeg

Edited by John/Horace

It’s obviously leaking from the seal, no video needed. The rubber can get old and brittle,  metal shavings and dirt can get into seal and wear it out 

Don’t drive it until oil level is known, might get away with a seal if lucky.  If it’s fixed right away.

But if it’s already noisy the bearing/gear internals ran without oil and whole ptu wil need rebuild or replacement.

Most gear boxes have a accessible fill plug and can have level checked, and can be topped up if low.

This unit can’t be.

Edited by John/Horace

Drain plug needs a 10 mm or 3/8 Allen key or Allen head socket.

Vent is a black rubber hose with a plastic air vent cap on the end. Vent has a clip at top holding it to a metal bracket.

Can use a big syringe to force in oil through the 1/4” rubber vent hose that feeds into the ptu. There are posts on site describing how to do it on a 3.6 engine set up. The 3.5 should be similar.

Most diffs or transfer cases have a drain and fill hole. You fill through side fill hole until oil starts over flowing and you know it’s full.  On 3.6 engine  fill hole is almost impossible to reach, it might be accessible with the 3.5 engine.  Could also not be the same Borg Warner made ptu unit, so possibly  different oil capacity.

Also, i dont know if the video uploaded but my driveshaft has play right where it is leaking. So with replacing the seal will it fix the play issue or will i need a complete driveshaft?  

I can’t get clip to play on android or Apple.  Lip seal won’t fix play. Drive Shaft has to come off to install new seal, you will see if play is just in the shaft or in the ptu output shaft.

If it’s in the ptu output shaft, the bearings inside will need replacing. Lack of oil could have accelerated the wear.

Some people have left the drive shafts off the car and used vehicle in front wheel drive only.  But ptu still needs to hold oil so passenger front c/v shaft is driven by a  lubricated gear box.

Oh man i hope its not the ptu shaft but i know its possible.  Im sorry for asking  so many questions.  But lets just say its the ptu output shaft.  can that be repaired/replaced? Or will i need a complete tear down?  I haven't had time yet to completely inspect everything until Saturday. I just won't to prepare myself. I recently just purchased this vehicle so i dont know much about it. I recently just started smelling gear oil through my ac vents so that is what made me jack it up and check for any leaks.

People usually buy a complete used ptu unit from LKQ or other part recycler. It would be a lot of labor to have swapped out.

Several hours for sure, transmission shops can do it.

With a small drip it could be topped up and driven without letting it get really low. No dipstick or overflow would make it hard to figure out oil level. Unless on 3.5 it is more accessible more than the 3.6 engine. The drive shaft that runs the awd is also around $500 new. 

Well it looks like the play is in my ptu shaft.  I got the nut loose but cant seem to remove the cover to get to the seal. Also i still have found the drain plug. As far as the vent tube. I think mines is metal ? 

20220508_110832.jpg

20220508_110838.jpg

20220508_110002.jpg

1 hour ago, qwizzy said:

Is it possible to just replace the bearings ?  I see there is bolts all around the shaft. Or is this ptu considered fried! ?‍?

20220508_124623.jpg

20220508_124337.jpg

looks like some of the bearings are missing as well

Ouch, it was run pretty much dry, some of the rollers are missing on that bearing in pic.  I’ll look for an exploded diagram, the problem is there are probably  several other bearings also damaged. 

People usually source a used unit because it’s cheaper than rebuilding the old one.  Need to find out if 3.6 and 3.5 use the same ptu if you go with a used unit. Transmission shops do these kind of repairs. Very crappy news unfortunately.

Yep, unfortunately i haven't owned it 2months yet?‍?. 

The rollers is why i had play. Before i took it apart.  The driveshaft is fine.

My next step is to decide to keep it or just find a used ptu to replace it. I just know its going to be expensive ? 

AWD cars have extra diff and transfer cases that have to be maintained or it’s gets expensive. You need to check your rear diff as well, make it’s not also just full of mud. 
Front ptu is a different part 3.5 versus 3.6, new it’s more money because not as common. Can dollars are @approx 1/3 less than US dollars. LKQ is the biggest on line used part recyler.

https://www.moparpartscanada.ca/oem-parts/mopar-transfer-case-rl071706aa?c=Zz10cmFuc2Zlci1jYXNlJnM9dHJhbnNmZXItY2FzZSZsPTEzJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMmYT1kb2RnZSZvPWpvdXJuZXkmeT0yMDA5JnQ9ci10JmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM%3D