Knocking after rebuild

Joel

2014 SE 2.4L

I haven't posted in a while. I took a break from the Journey issues, but I'm back. So I finally decided to find the cause of the engine knock. It turned out to be a bad main bearing and cracked piston. I bought a used engine with 64k miles on it, once I got it in and got it started, it was knocking as well. I pulled the engine and got a rebuild kit. After the rebuild it's still knocking, but the knocking goes away between 1500 and 2500 rpms. Anything below 1500 or over 2500 and the knocking comes back. I had a hard time finding torque specs for this engine and was thinking that maybe the rod caps and main caps are too loose?

A engine with 60K is almost new and should be no issue, I have one 2.4 liter 2008 Journey with some strange knocking, I disconnect the serpentine belt and the noise got away,  after I replaced the idler pulley the noise disappear. Maybe you got a engine that was run with no oil.

3 hours ago, luzmina said:

A engine with 60K is almost new and should be no issue, I have one 2.4 liter 2008 Journey with some strange knocking, I disconnect the serpentine belt and the noise got away,  after I replaced the idler pulley the noise disappear. Maybe you got a engine that was run with no oil.

Could be. I'm assuming it was run hot since the head is brand new.

Need to check what engine oil pressure is, compare to spec. Timing chain has a combo spring/hydraulic oil pressure tensioner on it. If it’s not functioning right  you can get a lot of extra noise. Could be weak tensioner, or low oil pressure issue. It doesn’t sound like a normal crank shaft knock from main bearings to me, but I’m no expert. The 2.4 is not exactly a quiet engine even at normal times. Was it an LKQ motor?

11 hours ago, John/Horace said:

Need to check what engine oil pressure is, compare to spec. Timing chain has a combo spring/hydraulic oil pressure tensioner on it. If it’s not functioning right  you can get a lot of extra noise. Could be weak tensioner, or low oil pressure issue. It doesn’t sound like a normal crank shaft knock from main bearings to me, but I’m no expert. The 2.4 is not exactly a quiet engine even at normal times. Was it an LKQ motor?

It was an lkq engine. I will check the oil pressure. I put in a new timing chain kit before I put the engine in, so it's got new tensioners. 

I've gone over it. Nothing external is loose and the oil pressure is good. I can hear the noise in the head, and when I get under it I can hear it in the block as well so I'm not sure if I should tear it down and check the bearings and all.

That’s fantastic news, great to hear that. Some mechanics use blue semi permanent loctite or thread blocker on flywheel screws.

They can come loose on occasion, hard to trouble shoot.  Auto recyclers usually check stuff out before they pull from vehicles. 

1 hour ago, John/Horace said:

That’s fantastic news, great to hear that. Some mechanics use blue semi permanent loctite or thread blocker on flywheel screws.

They can come loose on occasion, hard to trouble shoot.  Auto recyclers usually check stuff out before they pull from vehicles. 

Yeah and I never thought to check it before I put the engine in for that reason. I've never had that problem before.

Happened to a Jeep XJ I had, at around 200k miles. Removed valve covers and all kinds of stuff trying to find the source.

Days of screwing around for 50 cents of loctite. Some factory grub screws had blue on them, others didn’t. They were loose.

Lawn tractors and atv repairs always need it because of the extra vibration .

My daughter in law has a 2.4 journey I occasionally work on. Way easier under hood for access than the big 6. People seem to be able to put a lot of miles on the 2.4 without excessive problems.

my daughter has the 2.4 in her 2016 jeep patriot that she uses on her rural mail route, it has 125 k stop and go miles on it and still going strong, she has replaced all the wheel bearings at least once and 1 oxg sensor 1 set of brake pads all the way around and many ,many ,sets of tires...LOL

Just curious about the Patriot. Is it a cvt tranny and If so has it been repaired.

Crank position sensor, battery , spark plugs, brakes all around  and coolant manifold are the 2.4 repairs on 2012 daughter in law car, only 70k miles. Recall replaced primary catalytic, no charge.

Edited by John/Horace

11 hours ago, John/Horace said:

Just curious about the Patriot. Is it a cvt tranny and If so has it been repaired.

Crank position sensor, battery , spark plugs, brakes all around  and coolant manifold are the 2.4 repairs on 2012 daughter in law car, only 70k miles. Recall replaced primary catalytic, no charge.

No its not the cvt transmission when we were looking for her a car i made sure she didnt get anything with the cvt, hers is the 6 speed 4 wheel drive model , one of her friends bought the same yr patriot with the cvt trans and she already had it replaced... i do the maintenance every 30 k on the plugs and whenever she needs brake pads,,,we also had the dealership do the tranny  service on it at around 80 k i believe they said there is no filter in there they can change unless you remove the trans they said they do offer an aftermarket filter that mounts outside the transmission case but the daughter didnt want to spend the $$ on it,as  she has already ordered a new right hand jeep but they said it will take about 6 months to get it