engine smoking and spitting out coolant but temperature gauge is still halfway.

xdm inc

So today all of a sudden I'm driving and I see a large amount of smoke coming out from the engine so at first I gave it some oil and that wasn't the problem. then I look at coolant tank which was just recently filled is now empty so I gave it some more and then a couple blocks later I find it on the floor leaking out. All the time the fan would not kick on the radiator because my temperature gauge still tells me that it's "not overheating" it's halfway and it won't go any higher. On initial boot the gauges do move freely up and down. What do you guys think the issue might be? My first thought is maybe a faulty water pump?

Which engine in car, how many miles. Any recent work done on car.

Water pump failure sometimes has a knocking sound or bearing noise when it fails, along with seal leak.

Aluminum engines very sensitive to heat, be careful not to over heat engine. Lots of hoses and plastic cooling system parts could be cause as well. If you were topping up glycol, there was an existing leak. 

56 minutes ago, larryl said:

Could also be your oil filter cooler housing has blown up antifreeze runs through there also

It’s not the plastic cooler like the 3.6 that seems to have lots of issues (mainly around 2014 design change) with.

The 3.5 is a stainless steel plate pack heat exchanger with a few gaskets, no plastic I believe. My brothers 3.5 went 330 k kilometres without heat exchanger issue. Pic of unit from rock. It’s timing belt engine, so water pump is often changed during belt change because it’s buried behind covers and belts. Timing belt is due for change, years and miles both call for it.

F7C3C868-51C7-4946-BD12-9214CB654374.jpeg.66a80c102f28edf4e105578375b7e349.jpeg28C16AC4-28C4-4B17-A26A-0C4B4601816C.jpeg.908480d84f1ea16a49b424745eb36084.jpeg

i think you are confusing that engine with the 3.6 that does route coolant thur the oil cooler, that said his response to adding oil but that wasnt the problem then notices coolant tank empty then refills it then it is low again after driving and sees it leaking he needs to take it to a qualified garage for a diagnostic and repair