Catalyst?

17GT

Hello Journey Forum,

I wasn't sure what section to ask in.  A few weeks ago someone decided to try to steal the catalyst off my 2017 GT while it was sitting in my driveway.  The jerk cut the exhaust system in half in front of what I believe is the resonator (Sort of the middle of the exhaust system looks a bit like a glass pack.)

So now after filing a police report I am left trying to determine exactly what is missing if anything from the exhaust system as my local shop that I usually go to is booked out for multiple weeks.

I cannot find any good diagrams or anything of the stock exhaust system for the 3.6L.  Am I correct in my research to determine that the cats are part of the exhaust manifolds up by the heads and are connected via a cross under pipe and are in front of the flex pipe?

I assume because they cut it right in front of what appears to be the resonator and the front pipe section containing the flexible section is still attached but it's dragging on the ground so they've done nothing more than cut it in half?  And of course piss me off.

Trying to determine if I can escape with a quick weld job or if I'm headed for the expensive end of the pool.

A decent muffler shop should be able to use a small section of 2” metal pipe which they call a sleeve;  they then mig weld around both ends to the existing pipe. 

Minimal part cost but a bit of labor. Not all shops will do this kind of repair; some of them want to replace flange to flange connections. Much easier and more profitable. Smaller garages not chain repair shops are a better bet in my experience.

Glad your cats were saved, very pricy items to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to steal this catalytic converters, because they are almost part of the heads (they are in place of the exhaust manifolds on older engines). Here in Brazil the crackheads usually steal wheels and spares. This trend has not  arrived  yet.