OBD not connecting

Hello,

I have Dodge Journey R/T 2008 CRD (European diesel model). 

I decided to buy OBD bluetooth adapter and see errors, do some coding etc. Bought some cheap OBD mini bluetooth adapter as in photo from local car store, connected to the car, the red light was shining but I couldn't connect to any app. Always timed out. Tried a few different apps both on mobile and desktop and none of them managed to connect. The adapter was found in bluetooth settings and connected to the phone but couldn't manage to make it work with the app. Any ideas why? Maybe it's a problem with the OBD and should I buy different one? Or there could be a problem with the connection. I've read some comments about fuses but couldn't find one (and I think the adapter wouldn't work at all then, or am I wrong?).

Thanks guys.

71gaVKlr15L._AC_SX679_.jpg

why not just return it to the place you bought it from or contact the manufacturer for help on getting it to work,I doubt there is anything wrong on the journeys side of thee equation..also buy cheap obd and they only can check the basic problems from what i have read...good luck on whatever you find out

On 11/28/2021 at 11:35 PM, 2late4u said:

why not just return it to the place you bought it from or contact the manufacturer for help on getting it to work,I doubt there is anything wrong on the journeys side of thee equation..also buy cheap obd and they only can check the basic problems from what i have read...good luck on whatever you find out

Any recommendations on buying a good OBD diagnostic tool? I recently moved from Volkswagen to Dodge and the coding/diagnostic is completely different.

my OBD PORT under the steering wheel is not working properly I plug a tester to it it powers up the tester but it will not read any codes and hooked another tester and it does the same thing and someone told me to change the cigarette fuse I did and still the problem percist then a cowrker at a auto part store said check wiring and or it just needs replaced I called VIGO Dodge in Terre Haute and they said it would be $1900.00 just to replace it what can I do 

17 hours ago, Tim47802 said:

my OBD PORT under the steering wheel is not working properly I plug a tester to it it powers up the tester but it will not read any codes and hooked another tester and it does the same thing and someone told me to change the cigarette fuse I did and still the problem percist then a cowrker at a auto part store said check wiring and or it just needs replaced I called VIGO Dodge in Terre Haute and they said it would be $1900.00 just to replace it what can I do 

Maybe you don't have any codes present? If it powers the reader, it's not a fuse issue. What are they replacing for $1900? (also, punctuation helps when posting, makes your post easier to understand instead of just a word salad).

Edited by jkeaton

@Tim47802 I don't know your repair skill level, but would suggest that you inspect the metal wire ends INSIDE the plastic OBD port for damaged pin connections. They are very small and easily "bunged up" to not make the contact for reader to interface with the cars computer. This is all dependent  on when you plug into it that the reader DOES power up from the power supply wire in the OBDII port under the dash.

Reason for high cost is the whole harness for the port is being replaced, and not the easiest of jobs to do (unless one slices the wires near the port plug unit).

Edited by 5rebel9

• 2 months later...