Banging coming from bottom of 18 journey

Tamela

20211116_053516_1.mp4I have a loud banging noise coming from underneath.  Sounds like a lil man banging on the metal.  Gets louder when I turn the ac on.  While idling it rattles and bangs.  When slowing down does the same.   All fluids seem to be ok.   Dealership can't get to my vehicle for 5 to 7 days and I have to allow them to tear it down if needed.  Any suggestions

a bit more info might help....eng 2.4 or 3.6 ?,,,,miles on engine? did this start all of a sudden? what is condition of the oil? if you are handy try removing the serpentine belt and start the journey for a brief minute to see if noise goes away/

It's a 3.6 flexfuel.  44k miles Oil looks good.  Started like a low tap gets louder when vehicle warms up and even louder when fan kicks on.  Sounds like a lil man is inside banging on the metal.  Not handy regarding the belt.  Oil temp, Transmission temp and coolant temp are in the norm range.  Oil pressure good also.  Gas mileage excellent. 

I think it is strange that it doesn't make the noise when I'm in reverse.   Also I noticed the attached piece is not lined up evenly and there is a space between the 2.  I try to stay in tune with my vehicles.   

20211121_154659.jpg

20211121_154705.jpg

I think your referring to the upstream catalytic converter in picture. It’s bolted to cylinder head on one end, exhaust manifold is integrated into the head. Either heat shield or flange bolts could have come loose. Normal slight movement of engine makes parts bang together. Warranty should cover it

It has now gotten louder when I turn on my a/c.  It also makes a whinning sound if I'm stopped and turn the steering wheel real fast to either side and gets quite for a few seconds.  It doesn't make any sound when I'm in reverse or when the engine is cold .

There is an inspection cover on transmission for confirming flex plate is cracked, or grub screws have backed off. Not that labor intensive.  However, big labor to replace flex plate.

If cracked flex plate fails at speed, could destroy tranny bell housing etc on vehicle.  Even more expensive mess.

Edited by John/Horace

So you were told flex plate is cracked by a dealer ? Should have asked for a picture of it.

I had grub screws on flex plate back off on a Jeep XJ I had years ago. Created a funny rattle only, I got off easy with loctite.

Some where on bell housing is a small access door, either black plastic or maybe. Might have a faster or just snap in place.

I’ll try to find a pic.

had a 72 nova 350 3 spd and during the winter time a huge piece of ice from the road hit it and was causing a bad noise also a scraping sound back then dealership just took it off and hit it with a hammer and then put it back on,,,ah the old days when things were simple   dont know if a flex plate is the same thing as the inspection plate or cover that was damaged on mine

Edited by 2late4u

11 hours ago, John/Horace said:

So you were told flex plate is cracked by a dealer ? Should have asked for a picture of it.

I had grub screws on flex plate back off on a Jeep XJ I had years ago. Created a funny rattle only, I got off easy with loctite.

Some where on bell housing is a small access door, either black plastic or maybe. Might have a faster or just snap in place.

I’ll try to find a pic.

John, 

I haven't been able to get to the dealer yet..   it should be covered by power train.   By chance do u reside in Houston or the surrounding cities?

Would I still have to remove the transmission to check this?

I would go straight to dealer if possible. Maybe tow if you have triple A coverage etc. No sure about warranty, I think so. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Not located anywhere near Huston. Replacement needs transmission removal; inspection is done through access port with transmission still in car.

Flex plate issues are pretty rare; but expensive to fix.

I reside in Spring and work toward the medical center.   I take 45south I-10 & 610 to go to work.   They say I45 .

A new report from Budget Direct found that I-45 is the most dangerous road in the country. The most dangerous stretch is the portion of 45 that runs through Houston, according to the report..   it's the commute that is the killer.   I live by IAH Airport, I drive 45 miles each way roughly 1.5 hrs each way.  I would try to stay close where your job is located .   Stay away from greenspoint area.  I stay In spring.  The woodlands is close to me.  Katy and Sugarland are nice places to reside also.